User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

PNG Transparency Problems in... Firefox? Yes.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PNG Transparency Problems in... Firefox? Yes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-31, 17:54

Here's one for you genius web developers out there. I really need some help here.

On the Windows version of Firefox (it works properly in the Mac version and I haven't yet tried the Linux version), I have encountered a problem with PNG transparency. It seems that in some circumstances the transparent part of the PNG will forget to update and will leave crumbs behind from the previous blitting.

Here's an example. Go to my personal gallery page and move your cursor to the right, to the left, and to the right over the image piles. On the Mac, the images swap out properly on the hover state. It's just a simple application of the a.hover function in CSS, nothing fancy.

One thing that I suspected could be the culprit is a script I added for supporting PNGs in Internet Explorer, but Firefox continues to do does exactly the same thing without the script.

And here I thought Firefox rocked my socks for PNGs.

Does anyone here have any ideas about what could be causing this? Any ideas for a fix? I'll post a movie of this problem in action shortly. Thanks in advance!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-31, 18:06

Grr. Oddly enough, it works properly on my VirtualPC setup, but it gives that problem on both my fianceé's PC and my PC at work.

*shakes fist*
mattf

2005-08-01, 04:12

Hmm. I don't see the problem on the windows machine that I'm on...

Here's my UserAgent string: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050717 Firefox/1.0.6

Sorry, no more information than that.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-01, 05:19

No crumbs here ether. (Firefox 1.0.4, WinXP SP2, ATI X800) Could it be anything to do with gfx cards? I doubt firefox would be calling opengl or directx calls for transparency would they?

On a side note, WTF is the dancing dinosaurs with bazookas all about?? Nice video tho!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-01, 07:15

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=1706
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-08-01, 07:28

See nothing wrong here either... Firefox 1.04 on Win XP SP2.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-01, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
No crumbs here ether. (Firefox 1.0.4, WinXP SP2, ATI X800) Could it be anything to do with gfx cards? I doubt firefox would be calling opengl or directx calls for transparency would they?
I was wondering the same thing, actually. My fianceé's PC is a generic piecemeal box with a clean installation of Windows XP and no special drivers. The same goes for the PC I use at work, except it's running Windows 2000.

As for the dinosaurs, yeah, see Luca's link.

I'll try to get info on the graphics cards and such to see if there's a common thread there. Also, I'll take some screenshots to show exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks again, everyone.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-08-01, 12:33

Works here...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b3) Gecko/20050712 Firefox/1.0+
nVidia GeForce 2MX