AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft News General Discussion

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft News General Discussion
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-23, 18:11

I don't think there's a thread to talk about general MC stuff like upcoming builds or noteworthy news involving the game.

Here's one:

My FB friend Wes is about to record the 100th episode of The Shaft, and their guest is Notch!

Dead Worker's Party
www.twitch.tv

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-09-24, 04:59

Control blocks!
¡Damned!

2012-09-24, 18:08

I'm slightly bummed that we won't get potatoes, carrots, beacons, new meanies, etc. in the Tekkit world, but goddamn if Tekkit doesn't make up for that shit in spades.

At least the Mojang team is focusing on blocks that wouldn't require a new world. That shit is annoying, to say the least.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-09-24, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Control blocks!
Pheh. Bobsky, with Tekkit, you can drain entire oceans, set the sky on fire, make rayguns that will obliterate everything in your path.... and TNT? HAH. Small thinking.

In short, everything bobsky. Thank the fucking gods you don't have internet yet.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-24, 18:37

DIRT SLABS!!!! (the extent of my Tekkit prowess)

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-01-30, 01:45

Woah!!!!! Game of Thrones meets Minecraft!!!!

Last edited by drewprops : 2013-01-30 at 02:20.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-01-31, 02:00

I've been watching YT vids of friends playing through Feed The Beast. Dare I say, Tekkit seems tame. And it has all the updates before the RS stuff from vanilla (so it has carrots, potatoes, etc), but maintains RedPower as one of the mods to do pretty much the same stuff. It keeps IC2 as well, but the other mods are rather intriguing. It also has tougher mobs in it, and a magic system that is actually balanced as opposed to the obscene power of EE.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-01-31, 15:31

FTB looks really interesting. Is there a good summary in a youtube video you can recommend? All I see are episodic 45-minutes "let's play" videos.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-01-31, 16:33

I haven't found any good summary vids, but one of the guys doing an LP is planning a tutorial series in the next couple of weeks.
¡Damned!

2013-01-31, 16:41

I love the additional biomes. Very cool.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-02-02, 12:49

I like the FTB Magic World Mod Pack. Extra biomes, ores, and limited tech stuff.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-02-04, 12:35

minecraft!!!!!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-04, 20:59

Yeah. So, Minecraft indeed!

I spent a few minutes over the weekend playing with Tekkit Lite and Feed-the-Beast. I haven't decided which modpack I think will work best for us, but it's on my mind and I figured I'd mention that I am evaluating them.

Whichever one we choose, it'll mean rebooting the world again. The Tekkit Classic stuff is indeed incompatible with Tekkit Lite and the various FTB mod packs. Much of the overpowered Equivalent Exchange alchemy stuff like condensors and collectors are gone from the newer version of that mod. The other mods have added lots of new items, and of course, there are the new features added by the core Minecraft 1.3.x and 1.4.x releases that have been ahead of Tekkit.

Also, whichever option we move to means giving up on Bukkit and any of the server-side mods that it provided. We haven't been using much of them lately anyway; so, that's not a huge loss.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-04, 21:02

Also, no Bukkit means no copy-and-paste or structures and no multi-world warping. So, we finally have to bid our old worlds and their structures good-bye.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-04, 21:13

Hrmm...I'm okay with the Bukkit loss, but if the old maps could be up for download, that would be nice to reminisce in SSP. I suppose I'm fine with either direction, but FTB from what I've played with goes way beyond Tekkit. I want me a giant pine forest. And I mean the super-huge mega pines! The one I've seen the most of is the direwolf20 pack, but I've watched a bit on the others, too. I haven't seen any LP really dive in and get far enough to showcase the differences between them yet.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-02-04, 21:16

I think people just need to accept that Minecraft structures and resources aren't forever. They're just for as long as that "revision" of the world lasts. Nothing recreates that feeling of a new, fresh world, fresh geography, fresh resources. Let's do that again.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-04, 21:20

Agreed. Frankly, many of my old structures would be far better with micro blocks, anyway. And yes, I've heavily considered what to make from Zelda for the next world.

¡Damned!

2013-02-04, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Also, no Bukkit means no copy-and-paste or structures and no multi-world warping. So, we finally have to bid our old worlds and their structures good-bye.
I know we've talked about this a few times in-game, but I'd be willing to host the old game files as .zips on my server for a few months until everyone has downloaded them. I have selfish reasons (I really want to document our and mine progress via screenshots). Before you get rid of anything, please share those files with me before you delete them. There's lots of memories there.

So it goes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-04, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I know we've talked about this a few times in-game, but I'd be willing to host the old game files as .zips on my server for a few months until everyone has downloaded them. I have selfish reasons (I really want to document our and mine progress via screenshots). Before you get rid of anything, please share those files with me before you delete them. There's lots of memories there.
Yes. This.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-04, 23:29

Too late! I've been dropping nukes like Wayne Brady drops rhymes! KABOOM

I have backups named:

bridgeport
sedona
loch green
cactuar
world5
tekkit (still updating)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-04, 23:32

That said, what are people's thoughts on the Large Biomes option? This makes each biome much larger and is totally compatible with the ExtrabiomesXL mod.

I just spent some time exploring a Large BIome world, and I think it's a nice change! The biomes are big enough that you won't get bored by any one area being too small, and they add a scale to the world that makes nether travel much more beneficial/necessary.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2013-02-04, 23:36

Has Anyone else looked into DivineRPG? It seems to be much more based around adventuring and includes multiple dimensions other than the end and nether. Captainsparklz has been doing a modded survival series including this and one other mod that escapes me so far. Looks like lots of content new mobs, weapons, armors, and all kinds of other stuff. Might be fun for a new world.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
¡Damned!

2013-02-04, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
That said, what are people's thoughts on the Large Biomes option? This makes each biome much larger and is totally compatible with the ExtrabiomesXL mod.

I just spent some time exploring a Large BIome world, and I think it's a nice change! The biomes are big enough that you won't get bored by any one area being too small, and they add a scale to the world that makes nether travel much more beneficial/necessary.
I love them. I've always thought that the stock biomes were way too small. Give me a desert (or wasteland, whatever) - I need my mouth parched and my mind delusional.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-04, 23:58

Hmm… DivineRPG looks interesting. Since it's a Forge mod, it might be possible to install it alongside one of the FTB packs, too.

Though, I'm afraid it's too late to make suggestions, Stevuh. We've already chosen our modpack:

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-05, 00:13

Sonic will be THRILLED! Not this guy, though.

EDIT: Also, yes, Large Biomes would be excellent.

EDIT 2: Please, for FSM's sake, don't install the MLP mod. O_o

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2013-02-05, 08:12

Gah! ponies everywhere! Quick, get some fire!
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2013-02-05, 13:23

HA!

On a more relevant topic, I also like the idea of large biomes. Gives us more room to spread out in an area with out some people getting stuck in a different biome. At least in theory.

Although thoughts of terraforming a desert in large biomes makes me want to cry.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-05, 18:47

I want the safety of torches.

Not torch songs.

Could we have a Voltron mod?

Or a playboy bunny mod?
(or playgirl, for Robo & Rowdy)

SonicZeHedgehog

2013-02-05, 19:27

Well, playboy and playgirl aren't ponies. 'Nuff said
SonicZeHedgehog

2013-02-05, 19:28

I've already got my list of things to do made out:
• Build a gigantic Derpy Hooves (possibly a giant muffin as well)
• Build Canterlot Castle
• Pixel art a Zelda-MLP crossover on the side of a building (this one is for you, Rowdy)