User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Macbook Deal Too Good To Be True? Should I Buy It?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macbook Deal Too Good To Be True? Should I Buy It?
raydanator

2008-07-03, 20:33

I found a Macbook on craigslist in my area for $380. It is a year old, still under warranty, looks to be in good condition, and here are the specs:

black, 2.16GHz processor speed, Intel Core 2 Duo, 120 Gb hdd, 2 gb SDRAM, Intel GMA 950

I am going into my senior year of high school, and am planning on buying a macbook right before going to college in a year.

I've been advised to wait on buying a laptop because of how quickly technology changes...but how can I pass this up?? Also, is there a huge graphics difference between the Intel 950 and the 3100?

So if this macbook is in good shape, should I buy it, or wait for a year until the start of college?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-07-03, 20:47

The difference between the 950 and 3100 aren't that much, given that they're both integrated cards and integrated cards offer sub-optimal performance. It really depends on what you want to play; if you're running old games (would need classic/windows to run) you probably won't have a problem, and your standard MMO (WoW, Guild Wars) will be able to run on low settings windowed. If you want to play anything demanding, neither will really cut it.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-07-03, 21:38

Have you seen it in person or have you only seen pictures of "it"? I bet it's a scam.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 21:44

m..m..m..macbook!
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-07-03, 21:55

go for it. you can easily make up that money in the next year or even buy selling the laptop next summer and you can still get a new computer for college.

just make sure to meet up at a public place like starbucks where you can test out the machine.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-07-03, 23:50

Just make sure you get it and try it out before handing over the money. Ask the guy why he's selling it for such a low price. And give him cash only.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-07-04, 04:01

Take a friend along with you! The bigger he is, the better.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2008-07-04, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
just make sure to meet up at a public place like starbucks where you can test out the machine.
Also make sure it's not to noisy there. I did this once some ten years ago, and only found out when I got home that the laptop I bought was very noisy.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-04, 13:38

This doesn't smell right at all. I'd be very, very careful about this deal. What could possibly have happened to this MB, or this seller, that a year-old MB is down to $380? Unless this guy just won PowerBall or never heard of eBay, I bet it's either stolen and/or damaged somehow. Caveat emptor.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-04, 13:53

That's a really low price, and kinda sets off my red flags. Throw in CraigsList to the mix and you've got an almost perfect recipe for scamification and horseshittery.

I don't know. Approach this one with caution and both eyes open...

Personally, I wouldn't fool with it. But that's just me...I've got a pretty severe case of "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" flowing through my veins (and it's served me pretty well throughout my life).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-07-04 at 14:05.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2008-07-04, 14:23

Does amy.1979.28@hotmail ring a bell?

Some story about moving to Manchester and having to sell?

Do a google search for

Macbook craigslist $380

Best link to look at

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-04, 14:27

Holy crap!

Everything I've ever said about CraigsList stands. A wretched hive of scum and villainy if there ever was...

I like how they've all settled on that $380 price. Too stupid to change it up a bit...
raydanator

2008-07-05, 17:13

Yes...google and Amy from Manchester ring serious bells...it was a scam. But that's alright...I'm happy to save up and wait for the next gen of macbooks anyways

Thanks for all the input everyone
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-07-05, 18:38

I'm running a little slow right now, please have mercy on me.

So the scam is you send them money and they never send you a MB?
raydanator

2008-07-06, 01:00

I'm not sure of the details, but basically "Amy" wanted to send me the macbook through some weirdo dhl thing that doesn't exist.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-07-06, 03:21

Raydanator gives money to fake DHL service, doesn't get MacBook.
Partial
Stallion

2008-07-06, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Have you seen it in person or have you only seen pictures of "it"? I bet it's a scam.
echoed.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2008-07-06, 03:50

But didn't "Amy" say that he gets to look at the MacBook first and then send the money?
raydanator

2008-07-06, 11:31

Your right in that she claims to pay to ship the laptop to me first...but you can just tell by the way the second email is phrased that its some asian scammer at work...check it out for yourself

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Amy and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
This machine has been used for professional needs over the past 11 Months, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. The warranty is good until August 2009 and it is fully transferable. One more thing, it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Amy

Hello

I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop within 3-4 days.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the laptop in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a worldwide delivery company DHL, and they will provide assistance in hadling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
With this procedure you will have the change to test the laptop before I receive my payment.
The procedure is explained on the DHL webpage and please click on the link below to the DHL website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company.

Let me know

Amy

You can receive the laptop in three days "if you move fast as well", haha that one cracks me up!

Last edited by raydanator : 2008-07-06 at 14:48. Reason: taking out link
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-07-07, 06:37

Send back a message and request she send it COD if she wants to sell it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-07-07, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Send back a message and request she send it COD if she wants to sell it.
YES.

Lets play this girl along, and post everything on here!
raydanator

2008-07-07, 16:07

Haha, well thanks guys but I already wrote her the following...

If you are suggesting shipping me the laptop, I am not interested. If you can meet me in "My Town USA" with the laptop in your hand, I will come take a look. If not, then I decline the deal. Thanks for the reply

I don't really want to play the scammer game, and have heard from other places that the dhl site given is phony anyways...but thank you everyone for the help!!