Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Can't install Quicktime for Windows without iTunes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can't install Quicktime for Windows without iTunes
johnny5

2006-03-11, 13:56

Hey everyone-

I was testing some new streaming video for my website on a PC today, and needed to install Quicktime.
When I went to get Quicktime installed, I discovered that you can't get Quicktime by itself anymore.
It's only available for Windows when bundled with iTunes...

Just thought it was pretty interesting from a business perspective: Apple's trying to get iTunes in as many PC's as possible. Which I think is great, however sly...
Are there any other examples that you guys know of- where Apple is using software bundling or other clever means to expose Windows users to Mac products?

(Hope this isn't a redundant thread- I searched and found nothing)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-11, 14:03

I'm sure that was covered before, but it was long ago.

Yes I had to manually unselect the option to install iTunes. Personally, I found it a bit annoying that they try to do that; as I really don't need dead weights on my Dell.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-11, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5
Hey everyone-

I was testing some new streaming video for my website on a PC today, and needed to install Quicktime.
When I went to get Quicktime installed, I discovered that you can't get Quicktime by itself anymore.
It's only available for Windows when bundled with iTunes...
Often claimed but still untrue.

1) Go to Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/
2) Click on QuickTime: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
3) Click on Download: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
4) Click on Stand-alone Installer: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-11, 14:43

On the #3, the same page I had problem downloading QT few months ago, there seems to be no link to the standalone....

Seems to me that Apple is *strongly* encouraging me to get iTunes, which is totally useless crap to me.
johnny5

2006-03-11, 14:47

aha...
thanks, chucker.

so it's not impossible, but the "standalone" link is not prominent, so i guess my point still stands...
Apple wants iTunes on as many PC's as possible.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-11, 14:58

I'm quite certain that a stand-alone link has always existed, though indeed, it has never been prominent.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-03-11, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I'm quite certain that a stand-alone link has always existed, though indeed, it has never been prominent.
I'm pretty sure you're right. AFAIK ever since they started bundling iTunes and Quicktime together the standalone link has been in that box on the right side. It's been there, but it's really, really easy to miss.
Electric Monk

2006-03-15, 09:36

Yeah I got in a fight with an online newseditor over this problem. It was in that transition period where QT7 was only out for the Mac and he was using Windows.

Essentially he complained about there being no standalone link in an article. I think to myself that can't be true and so go look it up and email him. He points out that this is the QT6 Windows version. I say yes, because QT7 Windows isn't out. He says that he can't play h.264 videos with QT6 and that you need iTunes to play them because of the DMCA and so standalone installer or not this is pointless. I agree with him on the h.264 part then point out that when QT7 is out for Windows there will be a standalone installer and so you can indeed play said videos without iTunes and the DMCA has nothing to do with anything. He doesn't email back

Logic is your friend. That I suppose is the point of this semi-pointless post. Plus it pays to spend 5 minutes fact checking before writing an article for... Well I won't say.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-15, 09:46

Say! Say!

Bad journalism needs to be exposed!
chucker

2006-03-15, 09:50

It totally has nothing to do with the DMCA, never did, never will.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-03-15, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk
Logic is your friend. That I suppose is the point of this semi-pointless post. Plus it pays to spend 5 minutes fact checking before writing an article for... Well I won't say.
I concur with Kick, this is the sort of thing that dissuades me from reading magazines.