Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How to install iTunes 5 w/o QT7?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to install iTunes 5 w/o QT7?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 12:21

I don't want to have to buy yet another license key, and I already have QT 6.5 Pro. It's annoying that they bundle iTunes and QT together like that. How do you install one without the other (in this case iTunes without QT7)? Thanks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-08, 12:57

You should be able to extract iTunes.app out of the installer package with Pacifist, but I have no idea if it'll actually run without QT7.

Do you really need iTunes 5, though? Obviously you're doing fine without bleeding-edge Mac OS X or bleeding-edge QuickTime; why do you want bleeding-edge iTunes?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-09-08, 13:03

Quicktime Pro is £20. Don't be such a cheapskate! QT is one of the underlying media system for a lot of apps. If you want the latest apps then your gonna need the latest QT.

A quick search in google reveals a QT6 available for download in 2002. So if your too tight to cough up £20 every 3 years, then you probably don't really need the pro features!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-08, 13:15

You only need 6.5.2 or greater. Can't you just update to that?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-08, 13:16

Ah, unless you're using a PC. Then you really need to stop being such a cheapskate and buy a new license.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-08, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Ah, unless you're using a PC.
Ah, thus my confusion. Thanks for clearing that up, Mr. T.

Disregard my previous comments about extracting from the package; that only works for Mac users.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 14:52

Yes, I'm using a PC (and a Mac).

I'm anything but a cheapskate. I've bought the license for QT Pro at least three times already. I have QT 7.0 on my Mac, and it's not really all that great an upgrade in my opinion. Anyway, it's clear you guys don't know how to do this, and I for one, think that's a big problem. Not with you guys, but with Apple. It used to be easy to download them separately. It's been getting gradually harder, and now, it seems like it may be impossible! Am I the only one who is peeved about this? If so, I think you guys have your heads a little too far up SJ's pretty ass.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-08, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude
If so, I think you guys have your heads a little too far up SJ's pretty ass.
Just what the hell are you talking about?

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying to help people here. What gratitude.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 15:15

lol, I understand his frustation, Anytime you update or download itunes on a PC, Quicktime is hidden inside with it, so you can't have one without the other...and since now with iTunes 5, you also get QT7 bundle, so if you install it you lose your OT6 Pro..

It's like Apple WANTS to be like Real or Microsoft, who do the same things in the PC world. :lol

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 16:24

Sorry, Brad and everyone else, for my venting .

I think the real problem is that iTunes 5 actually uses the QT7 engine, and that the Apple installer does not allow me to have separate installations of QT for different versions. Talk about planned obsolence. Why buy QT7 today when you will just have to upgrade to QT 8 tomorrow, just so you can play iTunes 6? I hate to say this, because I do love Apple, but it's really rather Microsoftian.
rasmits
rams it

2005-09-09, 01:14

You're not the only one who thinks Quicktime Pro is stupid in many ways.

Like, no full screen playback unless you pay $20? That's supremely ridiculous. I totally understand why you don't want to upgrade to Quicktime 7...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-09-09, 01:18

...and while rasmits is completely right (wtf no fullscreen), the editing features in QuickTime Pro are worth the $20. It's definitely a great app, it's just that you shouldn't have to buy it just to get fullscreen playback. That's something offered as a standard feature on pretty much every single video player for both Macs and PCs, including Windows Media Player for Mac.