User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Hard Drive question...have I forgotten anything?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hard Drive question...have I forgotten anything?
lumpy

2005-09-27, 15:41

Hey folks - I've been reading these boards for the past few weeks, and it has been a tremendous help. I've been reading all sorts of hard drive purchase advice, and want to double check my plans before buying one.

In my house I have an old PC that still does what I need it to do, namely downloading large audio files (.flac, .shn files), and burning them. In addition, there is a brand new ibook 12" that my girlfriend just bought. We want to have an external hard drive to store all of our music/photo files on, so that we can both access them. We'd also use the drive for backups.

I'm thinking 300GB, Seagate, Firewire/USB 2.0...and I was thinking internal plus box, but Fry's has a 300GB External Seagate with Firewire/USB, 7200 RPM 8MB cache for 150 after rebate.

That sounds like a great deal and problem free for my uses right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something or have overlooked an issue.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-09-27, 15:46

Welcome to AppleNova.

Sounds like you did your research, and I can't see anything wrong with that setup. One question though, what OS is that old PC running? I'm not sure that Win98 can see drives that are over 128GB, although that might only be if they're internal.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-09-27, 15:47

the only issue I can think of is, you'll need to use FAT-32 format for the drive so you can both read and write
Ghostnine

Send a message via AIM to Ghostnine  
2005-09-28, 02:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Welcome to AppleNova.

Sounds like you did your research, and I can't see anything wrong with that setup. One question though, what OS is that old PC running? I'm not sure that Win98 can see drives that are over 128GB, although that might only be if they're internal.
well, what could be worse is that old BIOS can't see past 32GB...