AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

360 - Anyone been banned yet?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
360 - Anyone been banned yet?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-05-21, 00:20

Apparently 'modded' 360s are dropping like flies all over the world.. Mine is still fine, but I thought I would ask around here...

You actually cannot buy an un-modded one here in Thailand (for obvious reasons!), and I know a few people have the mods for reasons other than playing copies. i.e. They play backups to protect originals etc. etc. I know I prefer to play a copied disk than risk my original in the 360's drive, which is legendary for nibbling on DVDs!

From what I have read once your console is detected it is reported to the mother ship and banned for life from Live.
There is no appeal, no recourse, and the only solution is to buy a new console.
Your Live account is still valid, but the console is forever barred, and it's unique serial number noted at the mother ship. If you have downloaded the latest update, or have bought any new games then the secrity check which appears to do a checksum on the Firmware of modded drives has already noted you down, and reported you to . And your days are numbered. They will get round to you soon....

Seems a bit 'Orwellian' to me.. and may push a few more people towards the PS3 and free online services Sony now offers..

What does eveyone else think? And have any of you been banned yet? Hmm?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-21, 00:27

First off, I didnt know you could mod 360's. Then again, I havent been interested because I hardly even use my.

Im trying to think....I think it was my junior year of college, 2004/2005, I had a modded Xbox and I also had a Live account but I got banned. There was an on/off switch on the mod chip, but apparently I forgot to switch it or one of my roommates didnt and basically I got banned.

They told me that if I wanted unbanned on that console, I would ahve to ship it to the manufacture so they could confirm that it had not been opened. Ohwell, whatever. I have Live on my 360, but like I said, I rarely use it anymore.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
washington mac user
can't read

2007-05-21, 00:50

I wonder if they can ban me if I have a modded PC! LOL I don't even know what thats supposed to mean.
beardedmacuser

2007-05-21, 03:56

I see no reason why Sony wouldn't adopt the same anti-modding approach to the PS3. After-all, they've been pretty swift in releasing updates to the PSP to try and stay ahead of hackers. (Not that I'm anti-modding; my Xbox was my favourite console ever (storing games on the hard drive, XBMC, SNES9X, MAME, etc etc) but I never had a Live account).

I wish the 360 had a 3.5 inch hard drive and you were allowed to copy your games to it, but I absolutely understand why Microsoft would not do such a thing. Speedy game loads with much less noise would be superb. Oh well... maybe on the next Xbox we'll purchase and download all our games online and run them straight from the hard drive?