User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Saga Ends (*spoiler-free* discussion)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Saga Ends (*spoiler-free* discussion)
Page 6 of 7 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 17:34

My smarty-pants daughter has decided that Rey is another one of those Midichlorian-created "beings".

To which I said, "Blech!"

If that happens, I'll laugh, roll my eyes, and shuffle this one down there with The Last Jedi.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-12-16, 17:47

Sadly, I won't be able to see this until at least the week after Christmas and most likely after the new year.

We're away in Europe until after Christmas and then our nanny won't be back until after New Years, so we're just going to have to wait.

This is the first "new" Star Wars my wife and I won't be seeing on opening day. Hoping I can avoid some spoilers on this one..

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-16, 17:51

Enjoy your trip!

Just do what I do, don't read anything.

You know how hard it was to see End Game without spoilers waiting for home release? I'm probably going to have to leave this thread after tonight since there are going to be reviews posted about the movie now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-18, 08:37

This is the title of a blog post:
Quote:
Rise of Skywalker review: Everything you want from Star Wars, except heart
Hmmm.... Maybe it won't matter if I read all the spoilers and reviews before watching it. No matter how far it deviates from the original three, I'm sure I'll still have a good time and be entertained watching it so I'm going to still avoid them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-18, 16:28

More not good press:
Quote:
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is a disappointment. That's not to say it's a bad movie -- it delivers the wild set pieces, operatic drama and unique characters we've come to expect from the franchise. But The Rise of Skywalker is a supremely unchallenging film. It's predictable to the point of being dull, and it does nothing to push the series forward.
This is the first few sentences of the article. I stopped reading there even though they said it was spoiler free. At this point I'm going to try to walk away from the news/reviews and chatter about this film so I can just enjoy it for being entertainment.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-18, 16:33

Honestly, I don't care what the critics say. The critics loved—LOVED—Ghostbusters 2016, and called those of us who don't racist, misogynistic bigots. And that is becoming the norm. So the critics can suck it!

That's not to say I won't read what they have to say, but that I won't take their word for it. I'll go see the movie and come to my own conclusions, and those conclusions will invariably take several months to fully hash out.

Besides, I take the input from this forum a lot more seriously, since in here we are dedicated, honest fans.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I just tried a review at Forbes and the man is so full of Bush/Trump hatred that he couldn't leave his political references out. And that's where I stopped reading.

Good grief, can any of these spoon-fed ass-hats get through anything without taking political jabs at half the country? That will be it for any reviews I read. Grief. That said, let me update what I just said a moment ago: Honestly, I don't care what the critics say, provided they have the courage to leave their political trash in their underwear where it belongs.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-18 at 16:51.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-19, 12:21

*ALERT*

Absolutely no spoilers for Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker are to be posted in this thread from this point onward.

FYI: I have begun a new spoiler thread over here. If you have seen the movie and want to discuss it, go over there. Spoilers posted in this thread without a spoiler tag will be bounced. Hope you enjoy the movie, but please don't ruin it for those who haven't had an opportunity to see it, yet.

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-19 at 14:16.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-19, 13:11

Ooo... So I can stay in this thread then! Neat.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-19, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
*ALERT*

FYI: I have begun a new spoiler thread over here. If you have seen the movie and want to discuss it, go over there. Spoilers posted in this thread without a spoiler tag will be bounced. Hope you enjoy the movie, but please don't ruin it for those who haven't had an opportunity to see it, yet.
Awesome. I was hoping someone would do this. This thread works great for "what if" and "I think..." without having to get into the actual movie here and having something spoiled. This is the pre-seeing the movie thread, the other one is the "after you've seen it; speak freely" thread. Good plan!

I would even actually ask that no spoilers, tagged or otherwise, appear in this thread. Not only does that get cluttered and sloppy, with two threads discussing a seen movie, but it's clearly delineated where folks need to go, based on their current viewing status. It means I can hang out here and mindlessly speculate for a few more days without worrying about seeing something I don't want to, but then I can shift over to the other thread when it's time.

So, yeah...how about NO SPOILERS AT ALL in this thread? If you've seen the movie, just go talk about it in that other one? That's super easy to avoid, vs. having to rely on people to remember spoiler tags here, etc. Besides, spoiler tags don't appear to work on iOS (at least on my iPhone, and never has, across various models and iOS versions). I don't wanna be lying in bed tonight and scroll down and see something major spoiled while in this thread.

IMO, you shouldn't have to spoiler-tag guesses/speculation here (because you don't even know if it's real if you haven't even seen the thing). So everyone here can speak freely as well, but just from a "guessing"/speculation standpoint. That's the easiest/safest approach, I think, two clearly-labeled threads? Eventually this one will wind down on its own and the other one will be where all the action is, starting tonight and in the coming 3-10 days.

As it stands now, it's looking like I'll be seeing it Tuesday, Christmas Eve, at some afternoon showing. But that may change based on various factors. So I know I have another solid 4-5 days. I briefly lost my mind this morning and considered buying a ticket for tonight's early showing, just to get it out of my system (and not having to spend all weekend being careful about which sites I visit). But the seating chart, while not sold out, looked pretty packed-in. I'm not really sure I'm up for the full Neckbeard Experience™, to be honest. I don't think I really wanna see it with the costumed seal-clappers and the hoot-and-holler/won't-be-quiet/cry-in-their-Twizzlers Reylo crowd. I've been to enough of these things over the years and it can be a bit of a zoo. I think I'm better off sticking to my original plan and let this opening weekend maybe take care of the biggest, loudest crowds...

If that were to change, then you'll see me over in the other thread sooner rather than later.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-19 at 14:34.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-19, 14:11

Yeah, even if you tag a part of your post as a spoiler it still sends the text in the email notification of a new post. I read those more often than not before going to the forum to read it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-19, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I would even actually ask that no spoilers, tagged or otherwise, appear in this thread. Not only does that get cluttered and sloppy, with two threads discussing a seen movie, but it's clearly delineated where folks need to go, based on their current viewing status. It means I can hang out here and mindlessly speculate for a few more days without worrying about seeing something I don't want to, but then I can shift over to the other thread when it's time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Yeah, even if you tag a part of your post as a spoiler it still sends the text in the email notification of a new post. I read those more often than not before going to the forum to read it.
Noted and done. I added a tag to the very first post, and I updated my previous post.

This is now a spoiler-free thread.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-19, 15:10

I've updated the title of this thread too. I'll be lurking in this one and actively avoiding the other.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-19, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I've updated the title of this thread too.
Good plan!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-19, 16:47

Quote:
As it stands now, it's looking like I'll be seeing it Tuesday, Christmas Eve, at some afternoon showing. But that may change based on various factors. So I know I have another solid 4-5 days. I briefly lost my mind this morning and considered buying a ticket for tonight's early showing, just to get it out of my system (and not having to spend all weekend being careful about which sites I visit). But the seating chart, while not sold out, looked pretty packed-in. I'm not really sure I'm up for the full Neckbeard Experience™, to be honest. I don't think I really wanna see it with the costumed seal-clappers and the hoot-and-holler/won't-be-quiet/cry-in-their-Twizzlers Reylo crowd. I've been to enough of these things over the years and it can be a bit of a zoo. I think I'm better off sticking to my original plan and let this opening weekend maybe take care of the biggest, loudest crowds...

If that were to change, then you'll see me over in the other thread sooner rather than later.
Funny. Knowing how much you didn't care and wanted to stay away, it's fun watching you get bit by the Star Wars bug and now you can't stop talking about it.

WOOT! I love to see the excitement growing, and I sure hope it's all worth it. However, even if this movie is a dud, at least we have some new stuff to talk about.

Yeah, I went to an opening night midnight show for Episode II and I'll never repeat that mistake. Not only were the costumed folks entirely out of control, but a badly dressed Vader and some dude in a brown bathrobe had a poorly staged lightsaber duel in the lobby that made me laugh at the terribly crafted and unrehearsed choreography. I can do without any of that nonsense. If you're going to appear before hundreds of zealous fans like that, you can at least put some effort into it.

And, no, I don't need all the jeering and cheering at every joke, either. I really want to be able to absorb the movie just enough to decide whether or not I want to see it at least a second time (I still have not seen Episode VIII a second time —it was that bad!).

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-19 at 17:01.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-19, 18:11

Don't read it wrong...there's no "Star Wars bug" at play; I simply wanna a) get it out of the way, b) not feel like I have to be super careful while online all weekend and c) next week is shaping up, daily, to be a bit nutty/hectic with Christmas hitting smack-dab mid-week, etc.

I have little actual desire to see the movie, in and of itself. If I did, I'd go ahead, suck it up and go tonight (like I've done pretty every SW opening since 1999). Seats still available at all showings, last I checked. If my local dipshit ABC affiliate decides they need to pre-empt "Jeopardy!" for a third night this week, 90 minutes from now, that might make my decision for me.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
Because, you know, the "impeachment" stuff isn't already being covered wall-to-wall, 24/7, on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc. No, what really matters is Chattanooga's WTVC Channel 9's award-winning, on-the-ball coverage/take on the matter. Said no one.

I'm fairly certain how it's all gonna go - the movie itself, my reaction, etc. - so there's no "building excitement" or "softening" whatsoever. I'm pretty much expecting a wall-to-wall turd-fest, based simply on two previous releases, the involved parties and the impossible task looming over this installment.

I'm a realist, above all else.

To be completely honest, the biggest reason I wanna see it at this point is to see how I fared on my predictions upthread. I know I'm going to get at least half of them, not even trying. But I'm actually thinking more in the 75-80% range because I know this clown, J.J., and the kind of stuff he'll do. In fact, I think my more outlandish, "WTF?!" predictions (heavy on the fan-service, ginned-up "moments", eye-candy, "mystery box" abuse and similarities to poorly-written fan-fiction) will be the ones that actually pan out!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-19, 18:22

We need to get you a girlfriend. Or at least a hammer and some nails, maybe some 2x4's.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-19, 18:34

Nah, I'm good. Always a risk I may confuse the two...

I have two things I'm holding out hope for in this movie, and if one or both are done, that will go a long way toward softening some of my views. I'll feel like "okay, someone kinda sees what should be done...and that's encouraging". I'm just not gonna say them out loud to both a) not jinx things, and b) not seem like I'm on drugs or completely out to lunch on the saga.

And then I have a big want/wish that I won't know if it is even possible until after the movie ends! And it would actually make me quite interested in the property, going forward. There is an announcement coming in January about the next release(s), so I'm really hoping the two (mine and theirs) might align a bit. Fingers crossed! If nothing else, I'm curious to see what they've got in mind, now that this big sprawling saga has wrapped up. What does Disney/Lucasfilm consider worth pursuing, once the Skywalker saga has ended? Who knows? I know what I would find cool/interesting and something to genuinely look forward to, although my fear is that it's a bit of a long shot.

But I'll definitely touch on it when I talk about things over in the other thread.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-19, 18:46

Quote:
Nah, I'm good. Always a risk I may confuse the two...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 09:58

Is it weird that I'm genuinely more excited/looking forward to the RedLetterMedia discussion/review on this thing than the actual movie itself?!

Why, yes...it is.

I can definitely do without Rich and his forced, annoying hyena laugh (so I'm hoping he's just on camera duty, or out sick with a cold), but I think Mike and Jay are funny and almost always mirror my take on these things. I keep checking their page on YouTube about every few hours, vs. trying to figure out the best time to get to my closest AMC multiplex today/tomorrow. I'm assuming/hoping they all saw it last night, came back to the studio afterwards to film a little one-hour roundtable discussion and are just wrapping up the editing/graphics this morning...

Just skimming the headlines of various reviews posted online...hmmm. I'm not exactly seeing an overwhelming waterfall of glowing, positive reactions. I think they might have really stepped in it, this last go-around. Of the three positive-sounding reviews I have come across, two of those had a "but..." clause/holdback in the headline, which likely means "yeah, it's a decent enough movie, but..." (ultimately drops the ball, leaves unanswered questions and gets a ton of obvious stuff completely wrong, which shouldn't be the case in the closing chapter of a nine-part, 42-year saga had anyone been doing their jobs right). That's how I take it, anyway.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-20, 10:00

I'm still working really hard to not read untying Star Wars related right now. Mandelorian is still fair game, but if it crosses over I'll have to shut it out too other than watching the episodes.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 10:11

This thread is still safe, as no actual discussion/spoilers is allowed here. I'm just speculating that it might be bad. I have no real proof.

But yeah, it's tough out there. Yahoo is particularly bad about posting articles with spoilers in the headline, so I'm avoiding that bonehead site completely. Hopefully any reviews that involve true spoilers and reveals, the writer is mature/professional enough to make that known, upfront. I've seen so many online reviews over the years where the opening paragraph, with no notice/warning whatsoever, just blabs right into major spoilers. Unbelievable.

I always take a few minutes to drop those clowns a note to let them know how they're doing it wrong (and why much of the planet may view them as a complete shithead). Almost always, within 30 or so minutes, a fixed, improved version is uploaded/posted with a spoiler warning, a more neutral, spoiler-free headline or opening paragraph, etc.

I have to tell alleged "professional journalists" how to go about this kind of thing?! Unfortunately, yes. More than a few times!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-20, 10:15

Exactly. That Yahoo thing is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. When I go through my RSS feeds I inevitably see headlines that I have to try my best not to read too much into. It is tough out there!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 10:32

I don't know the accepted, official cut-off point to where including spoilers in casual discussion is okay (I actually got barked at by someone a couple of years ago because I talked about Quint's fate in Jaws, and how the movie differed from Benchley's novel...yeah, what was I thinking, a mere 40+ years later? By all means, I should be more aware and sensitive to the fact that many people haven't seen major blockbuster, game-changing movies for 4-5 decades after their original release. I told the person I'd gladly mail them my Jaws DVD, at my expense, if they never said something that stupid to me again.

Anyway, I don't know know what that cut-off would be, but I do know that it isn't opening weekend. That's not even up for debate.

Anyone posting an article, reviews, thread/forum post, podcast, YouTube video, etc. with spoilers (with no warning) within hours/days of a movie's premiere is a certified cretin who sucks at their job. I think, just to avoid being seen as a graceless, clue-starved moron, a solid month, 30 days, is a reasonable period to be mindful of that sort of thing. Not everyone can make it to the theater opening day/weekend, or even the following week or so (people do have jobs, families and lives that don't revolve around someone throwing a shield, casting a spell or going pew-pew-pew, you know?). So I always give at least a solid month before I feel like maybe I can dispense with the spoiler alerts/tags. But honestly, I've provided spoiler tags or warnings 3-6 months after the fact on many occasions, just to be safe (and not ruin anyone's fun).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-20, 10:48

Yeah, it was really hard not having watch End Game in the theater and avoiding spoilers. I rarely ever go to the theaters for movies now. They cost too much and I like my home theater better.

That being said, I would say at least a week after home release is safe to talk spoilers in the open. I know I'm not the only one who won't pay those prices. In my case it's because I'm frugal, others can't afford it and have to wait it out.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-20, 12:18

I'm with Turtle. I'd much rather spend my money on more important things. Like Beer!

I've only read one review, and it was loaded with spoilers right up front (I don't much care, though). Spoilers don't bother me. What does bother me is the complaints that are driven by bloggers, and the people who form their opinions based on what bloggers say. Form your own opinion, already!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-20, 14:22

Speaking of reviews, below is the full script. I encrypted it so that Paul isn't offended.

Star Wars Episode IX:

lkdzfhgv lskjhbwo'lk'rdvj hpr'jh e'otjhsrp'ohjsrlnjkrept
o j
orpdt khjr
po[tkj hroptdkjtypoj k
tpojhk rt
pojktrjrgadj dogje roher h
reh
rsh lrs
thk rkhr rjt rt
r krht
rtjk rt
jk rtj
r
r tsl
[jpstkrp[jkrtpojktdpokj
fdpokjrs
pkjhp[kptyrojkpojnopsfjn'oapsrjho;iaehg;oiaehrg ehr
erhhr
ehjr
tkj

Well, there you have it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 14:46

Great, thanks...now I know everything (I speak fluent gibberese).

I knew that's how it would end...

Shit, I'm gonna have to get out tomorrow afternoon and put in the time, it's looking like.* Good grief, I can't go anywhere online today. Even sites that aren't really about movies (and certainly not ones like Star Wars) are posting reviews, analysis, etc. It's a major release, I understand that, but still...I'm having to work a little harder than I thought I would to stay in the dark and not accidentally see/hear/read something I don't want. The Internet is just a huge megaphone, huh?

*It sounds like I'm having to seal the driveway vs. seeing a Star Wars movie. Damn you, J.J., Kathleen and Disney. Damn you all. It's not supposed to be this way. 42 years and I'd rather go get a tooth yanked than sit through the final installment, only because I know it's going to sadden me (and not the good, earned and cathartic kind of sad either, but the "WTF have they done?!" variety). Big difference.

We need a bawling-uncontrollably-to-the-point-of-nausea-at-the-utter-cruelty-of-it-all smiley for times like these.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-20 at 15:00.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 16:25

On a less silly note, in addition to the RedLetterMedia stuff, I'm actually looking very forward to some of the more serious, thought-out "what went wrong" articles and analysis that will come in the next year or so. I love reading stuff like that, where things are talked about and broken down in a clear, level-headed and scholarly way (which I'm not capable of ). I look forward to the various 2015-2019 vs. 1977-1983 things that are sure to come.

I actually did skim one thing earlier today (made it in two paragraphs before the spoiler alert came up, and I bailed, and the guy was actually saying that this new trilogy tracks closer in many ways to the prequel trilogy, one-by-one. The easy, expected thing is to compare them to the originals, but he makes a neat case that, no, they actually follow the prequels in many major ways. Which is kinda funny because I'd always heard that J.J. Abrams isn't that fond of the prequels and that he was looking to "fix" Star Wars and not repeat those mistakes.

Interesting stuff.

Yeah, at this point I think I just enjoy talking about the property vs. actually watching it. Even the good stuff. I'll sit and talk about 1977 and 1980 to anyone, anytime, and have a really nice go of it because those never get old to me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-23, 20:57

Quote:
Is it weird that I'm genuinely more excited/looking forward to the RedLetterMedia discussion/review on this thing than the actual movie itself?!

Why, yes...it is.

I can definitely do without Rich
I'm not watching it yet because I still haven't made my trip to the theater yet either, but I thought you'd be thrilled to see the thumbnail for their 70-minute review.

Is it strange that I can HEAR the laugh coming out of this completely static image?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-23, 22:16

Yikes. Maybe they'll put him on mute. I just wanna hear what Mike and Jay have to say. Now the question is...do I go ahead and watch it tonight, spoilers be damned, or tough it out another ~18 hours to see how my thoughts/opinions align (or not) with theirs? Hmm...decisions, decisions. I'm opting for the latter, just so I can see it as cold and untainted as possible...