AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Are you happy with your life?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Are you happy with your life?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-09-15, 21:14

And if not, what will it take to make your life happy? I suppose I'm getting a bit reflective in my older age (plus the end of a 4 year relationship). That plus I'm just seeing more and more of the same trappings in life that are suppose to make one happy.

It's all about who has what. From the latest Mac, largest LCD display, a coolest sports car or keeping up with the Jones' house renovations. Don't get me wrong, I love toys and certainly they bring joy to ones life. But there's more to life. So what really makes you get up and go each morning? Is it that special someone you wake up to each morning that drives you? Or maybe it's your son or daughter. Or are you just a positive soul that sees everything with the cup full?
faust

2007-09-15, 21:40

I hate my job and I hate my long commute but I love my gf and the look on her face when something makes her really happy - that's what keeps me going on long days.

She's the positive one, I'm the grump who needs more sleep!
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-15, 21:43

All it takes to make me happy is being loved.

I'm frigging ecstatic these days.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-09-15, 21:55

I'm pretty happy. I've got my friends. Right now my stresses come from college application season and trying out for the Academic Decathlon team. I can handle those easily.

Plus, applying early means I won't have to wait till April for my notification letter.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-15, 22:06

I'm happy with my life. I'm not 100% nuts about the people and situations around me, however.

I look at what passes for entertainment and amusement, I think about the loss of civility, good manners and common sense, I notice the kind of people we make heroes and idols out of, the types of values (or lack of them, I guess) that define some people, etc. and I get a little sad and bent out of shape.

Sometimes, like the past day or so, it gets at me more than others. The kind of people I encountered at the movie theater yesterday, this whole Don Bagles thing, etc. just drives home how so many people choose to go around acting like complete fucktards.

I don't like that. I don't like idiots intruding into my life and space, making things harder or more unpleasant than they have to be.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-09-15, 22:14

Kinda happy here. Could be better but that's just a matter of time.

It's just that I work to much. I started my own video game company with 5 other dude. I work like between 40hrs and 50hrs there. But that doesn't really pay off for now so I got a second job... around 30-35hrs a week. So I work between 70 and 85hrs a week. That's one of the reason I'm a little less active on the board. (but I'm still reading you guys )

Like I said it's just a matte of time. Besides that it's pretty good ! I got my lovely wife... but we got some difficulties to make some babies . At least we're trying a lot . Good old friends, new home, new town, some new friends. So a lot of changing in here and I'm still going !

Being curious help's to be happy I think too. So you are constantly gathering for new infos or whatever...

Anyway.. keep rockin my friends !

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-15, 22:29

I'll spare you all the essay and just say: No.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-09-15, 22:31

Hell no! The only thing I'm happy about is that I'm not selfish enough to pursue happiness at any cost.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-15, 22:33

Well you should be. Maybe that's your problem.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-09-15, 22:38

Well, I have a very fulfilling relationship with my girlfriend, but outside that my life has degenerated into turmoil in the last couple of years. I spend a lot of time tilting at windmills.

More seriously, why did the Don Bagels thing annoy you so much, pscates? He's not so bad, surely? Immature for his age, but he's not a lost cause. The people goading him didn't show much more maturity either, as you noted in another thread, I believe.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-15, 22:48

Oh it hasn't crushed me or anything. I just hate stupid, annoying people doing and saying stupid, annoying things (I realize the irony of that statement, coming from me, isn't lost on a select few of you). But still...

That someone can take over an otherwise smart, savvy forum with his immature bullshit for multiple days. That just grinded on me for some reason...
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-09-15, 22:56

I really understand pscate. I pretty much feel the same.

I think I learned to not be affected by that anymore. It's not like my girlfriend. She get angry at stupidity so easily... She's so great

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-09-15, 23:19

The Don Bagles episode was certainly mildly annoying, but it ranks pretty low on my list of worrisome things. This is truly first-world stress, I suppose. Do we worry about where we shall find our daily food? Our clothes or shelter? No, we get annoyed at other privileged individuals acting foolishly on the internet!

Roboman, out with the essay man. It's cathartic, don't you know, even if no-one reads it.

dmegatool, with your work taking up 70+ hours a week, do you really have time for babies, or for that matter, making babies?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2007-09-15, 23:22

I'm pretty upset overall. Things haven't been panning out very well at all over the last few years. My dad somehow managed to make his retirement fund disappear, and my mom and I both suspect he's having an affair. Unfortunately, I have certain issues with my mom that will make themselves well known before year's end. I'll be kicked out at that point. Guaranteed. Don't really wanna say anything further than that. It's been a rough year. Hopefully things will be better when I move out. Not sure what it is that keeps me going. I guess I have hockey to thank for that more than anything.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-15, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
I think I learned to not be affected by that anymore. It's not like my girlfriend. She get angry at stupidity so easily... She's so great
It's not only that he is working 70+ hours a week as well as trying to make a baby with his wife ... he also has a "great" girlfriend to keep happy too. The man's a machine!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-09-16, 07:35

Ok let makes things right... My wife = girlfriend

And for the 70hrs+ and the making babies process... remember that it only takes 2 minutes (did I really said that ? ). No seriously my second job contract ends in january. So time won't be an issue with my little future familly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
The man's a machine!
Absolutly !

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-16, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Hell no! The only thing I'm happy about is that I'm not selfish enough to pursue happiness at any cost.
We've seen your girlfriend.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-16, 10:08

I feel happ-yyyy!
chucker
β€½

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-16, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I'll spare you all the essay and just say: No.
Ditto.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-16, 10:59

Well I have a great job and a great girlfriend.

5000 miles from each other.

I have a great new flat, that I'm not permitted to live in (or the country that it's in).

That fucking visa better come soon.
Edna Crabtree

2007-09-16, 10:59

Yes.

And I feel extra fortunate that I have the time, energy and ability to even reflect and ask myself that question, "am I happy?" Because the world doesn't care if I am happy. I don't deserve "happiness," any more than the next person. But I have children, and since I chose to bring them into this world, I bust it whenever I can to make sure they feel safe, happy and loved each day. That what drives me.

There's a whole wide world of relentless pain and suffering out there. We all know this, but do we really understand the pervasive depth of the misery? Apple enthusiasts farting around on the interweb asking philosophical questions about the meaning of happiness? Get over it. Go volunteer to do something for somebody who doesn't yet own an iPod (!), or doesn't know the meaning of HTML or what the latest intel chip specs. Pick a church, or a lecture series and go listen to somebody talk about spirituality and meaning. If you want to be happy, if it matters to you, then make it happen. Or don't.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2007-09-16, 11:46

Yes, I think so.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-16, 12:09

I've been thinking a bit about this today, for various reasons, and I have dwelt on what I *think* will make me happy. But, if the truth be known and I choose to utter it here, then what I need to be happy is to learn to be more forgiving. There, I said it. I have to learn to "let it go".

Also, I think this quote from Abe Lincoln is a great touchstone for this thread.
Quote:
"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."
I was tempted to prattle on about living in the moment and the journey is the reward ... but, I think Edna Crabtree's reflections are far better than any trite regurgitations I could offer. I've come back three times tonight just to re-read it. Thanks for posting Edna. Positive rep from me.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-09-16, 12:30

Yes. I am never happier than when I have to get up at 6am to pick up my smiling son. And I am *not* a morning person.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-09-16, 12:35

Sure I'm happy, but I'm also confused as hell sometimes.
Freewell

2007-09-16, 12:40

I am so incredibly happy that sadly, it often annoys those who aren't! The source of my happiness is simple:

1) Everything in my life is built upon the foundation of my faith and the reality of my relationship with God. This is what enables me to survive the storms and sorrow of life, as well as what gives me a purpose and fulfillment in living. While I am looking forward to a very happy, healthy, long life, I am not afraid of eternity.

2) I have deliberately chosen not to be a victim in life. (And believe me, I have had plenty of opportunity to justify playing that role.) Bad things may have happened, but I choose not to let the circumstances of life define who I am. They are merely that... circumstances. My response to them defines who I am, not the other way around. I cannot control all of the circumstances of my life. I can however, control my attitude towards those circumstances. In every situation, no matter how bad, I relentlessly pose the question to myself as to what is something good that has/may come out of that particular undesirable. The hardest thing I have done this with so far, was my mother's death. Yet years later, I see more and more good that has come out of that incredible pain... undesirable as it was.

3) Everyday is a perpetual quest of gratitude. Whether times are good or bad, I look for things to be grateful for. I honestly believe that this perpetual positiveness you refer to is nothing more than the bubbling up and overflowing residue of a grateful heart. A person cannot possibly be perpetually angry, depressed and hopeless when they are thinking constantly about everything they have to be grateful for! I just never run out of things to say 'Thank You!' for!

4) I love to be a blessing to others. Whether this means giving to a ministry or organization that reaches out to help others in need, or just smiling at the cashier in my local supermarket and saying 'Thank You!', I thrive on it! It brings me such joy to reach out beyond myself and lift up those around me, breathing hope, a sense of purpose, and renewed vision into their hearts and minds. I love helping people realize that there is so much more to life than being beaten down by what life has dealt them!

Yes... as most of you know, I have an indescribably wonderful husband whom I utterly adore! I absolutely love doing life together! It brings me such incredible joy to serve him, love him and simply be his friend! Everyday, I am amazed that God saw fit to bless me with someone as wonderful as him... He is soooooo much more than I ever dreamed!!! Additionally, we have been blessed with beautiful children who are each delightful in their own special way, and we absolutely love life!!! As shocking as it may be to some however, these are not the source of my happiness. Happiness must come from within to be true and lasting. If I place my source of happiness on my husband, it is a burden too heavy for him to bear. No human was created to be the creator and tender of another's happiness. It is a personal choice. If you give the responsibility of your own happiness to another, you sacrifice your ability to truly be happy... for then you become dependent upon their choices in life to generate your happiness!
Partial
Stallion

2007-09-16, 20:26

I'm very happy. I'm a very positive person and I make the most of everything.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-09-16, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
I'm very happy. I'm a very positive person and I make the most of everything.
Yaaay!

That's great.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-09-16, 20:49

Yes I am happy. I have a wonderful wife, who puts up with my moods and loves me no matter what. And yes i know i don't deserve her sometimes.

I also have 2 lovely daughters.

And when i wake up in the morning i am glad to be alive and in reasonable health.

What more can one ask for.

iPhone, iMac, iEtc...............

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-09-16, 20:54

I am very happy in my life though I am hating my job.

Thankfully my job isn't a factor in my happiness since it is only a means to an end right now. My family is awesome and support me so much. My wife is more than I could have asked for and my children are growing into awesome humans and a positive influence in this interesting world.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.