User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Very paranoid. What's in these google maps?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Very paranoid. What's in these google maps?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2005-05-26, 12:43

I'm glad I'm not only one that scoped out Area 51 when I discovered Google Maps.

Anyways, of most interest to me at least were these little (big) bumps on the ground a little to the west of A51. Underground weapons testing? And what would a stroll through A51 be without a shot of Groom Lake? And just north of that...teh alien breeding chambers!!!

[edit:] Aw hell. Google Maps C&P sux.

So it goes.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-26, 12:46

Your links don't work, 709. Weird, I wonder why ...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-26, 14:01

Alien Technology!!!!!!
autodata
hustlin

2005-05-26, 18:04

Damn, 709, you're such a tease.

Are these the 'bumps' you are looking for?
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.02...4547&t=k&hl=en

If so, those are craters from underground nuke tests

Last edited by autodata : 2005-05-26 at 18:12.
jkloos

2005-05-26, 20:01

ok so after much looking around different forums there isn't any thing too crazy going on here. The targets are all practice bombing runs. The ones that seem to be near a city are mock citites for practice. The circles are irrigation for farming. The rest are just air force bases. Interesting thing though, the pictures on google range from 10 years ago to a year ago. There are things in my home town not on the maps that were built ten years ago. I am assuming most important buildings are 10 year old shots. Something i found very interesting is most of the military bases and stuff of that nature is in the highest quality. Strange that some of the other smaller bases don't zoom in very far. Maybe these bases that you can zoom all the way in on aren't as important as you'd think. It's funny because i found tons of sites with this stuff and people all seem to think woah this is cool, i can spy on pretty much anywhere from the sky eg. area 51. Then i thought about it. The defense people must laugh there asses off at people. We get technology that is 30 years old to them and we think we're slick. Like they didn't decide years ago what we could see.
I guess being able to look at the buildings is nothing compared to being able to see what goes on inside. Still i think some of this stuff looks pretty cool. Another interesting one is below it's the nuclear test site. all those craters are undergroud nuke tests. There is even mock cities and airport's and other things around the craters. They sure set a lot of damn nukes off. zoom in and have a look.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=rachel...7830&t=k&hl=en

woops sorry almost the same link as autodata
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-26, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Aw hell. Google Maps C&P sux.
It's always worked wonderfully for me. What are you copying? You're supposed to use the "link to this page" link for copying a, well, link to a page.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-26, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb

IIRC, there's a landscape photographer specializing in aerial stuff who has done several coffee table books of nature-as-symbol. Heart and icon shaped lakes, golf courses designed to look like reclining nudes... no Photoshop... not sure of the name, but I'm pretty sure he's European.

Chime in if this seems familiar...

Jan Arthus Bertrand.

He is a God among insects (great line) in the world of aerial photography. Earth from Above is the name of the book depicting many of the things you're talking about. It is probably the most beautiful coffee table book I've ever seen (and I have some *good* ones). Be warned though. It's big and it's heavy.

...into the light of a dark black night.
rasmits
rams it

2005-05-27, 00:29

Any stuff that the US Military didn't want shown would be blurred and shot at low res, like the White House is.

But it is interesting... Besides, those pictures are in California, and I thought Area 51 was in Nevada? Or, supposed to be, so I've heard.

edit: A quick search for "Groom Lake" in Google Images brought this.
The site it's link from is very interesting. Apparently, Area 51 isn't even a top secret base.

Quote:
According to Hayakawa, it only became a "secret" base to those who were taken in by paranoia mongers and through misinformation, resulting from false rumors which began in the late 80s and persisted throughout the mid 90s. Area 51 today is a vibrant aerospace R & D conglomerate test base, employing anywhere from 1800 to 2400 defense contractor employees, working in shifts on diversified projects. Some of the contractors include Raytheon, Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, TRW, E..G. & G and General Atomics,
One of the best recent color satellite photos of the base was taken on Thursday, July 24, 2003.

Last edited by rasmits : 2005-05-27 at 00:44.
autodata
hustlin

2005-05-31, 17:17

sleath bomber on google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Plant+...7832&t=k&hl=en
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-31, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
Looks like there's an F5 (or F20) on the taxi apron North of the B2 a few hundred metres,
and what appears to be an all white U2 reconnaissance plane about the same distance West.

(I think the white U2 is in NOAA/NASA livery, but others can confirm.)
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-05-31, 18:02

Here's another Google aerial photo to chew on, this one culled from an article at Unknown Country:

Link

A UFO? A weather balloon?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-31, 18:28

Bug on the lens.

julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-05-31, 18:33

I'm bugging on the lens, really..
Squeeze tha rumble, bug tha mould...
elvia

2005-05-31, 19:01

Also, just above the A marker, there a pair of SR-71's and another U-2.
these maps are interesting to say the least
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-31, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvia
Also, just above the A marker, there a pair of SR-71's and another U-2.
these maps are interesting to say the least
Boss, boss.. zee plane, zee plane(s)!

Mojave Boneyard

Just a bit southeast of there a B-52 and choppers wazzoo
The choppers are southwest, if you go north 5 hangars from the 52 there are some F111 or B1s,
and check the sand to the northeast for lakebed runways and indicators writ large.

Carriers look so small by comparison.
scroll West and check out the Tomcats on the apron at the end of the island and other Navy birds
scroll East to the piers and spot the Hospital ship amongst Destroyers, Frigates, etc.

For reference, an old Battleship
Enki

2005-05-31, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Here's another Google aerial photo to chew on, this one culled from an article at Unknown Country:

Link

Weather balloon.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-31, 21:28

Here's a pretty cool air base in Anchorage, AK. I counted thirty-three fighter jets in various places, including a long line of seventeen.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-05-31, 21:57

Ah Google Maps how I do love thee.

The star formation of SAM sites comes from the fact that most soviet sites had 5 missile launchers all interconnected and linked up with a command and control center in the middle of the formation, henceforth the star layout.

I was giddy when I found that I could pull up imagery of the NSA... now if someone could find Camp David...

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-31, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Here's a pretty cool air base in Anchorage, AK. I counted thirty-three fighter jets in various places, including a long line of seventeen.
Not only that, but at the West end of the same complex is a C5 Galaxy (note the high tail shadow)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-06-01, 10:53

Zero paranoia, but this is where I used to call home:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fort+l...7735&t=k&hl=en

(Go to max. Zoom, check out the big ship on the right)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 11:17

You guys would love the Eyeball Series with satellite photos of all sorts of government facilities like the white house and capitol building, now blurred or painted out of Google maps and the like.

Crusader: Camp David is at that site, too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-07-18, 07:50

Well, this has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+di...9917&t=k&hl=en

Apparently this is the "Seal's Lair", a US naval base in San Diego.

(Credit to the Inquirer for this, btw).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-07-18, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Well, this has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+di...9917&t=k&hl=en

What's so funny about it?
staph
Microbial member

2005-07-18, 08:47

The building (actually it seems a set of four) shaped like a swastika more-or-less in the dead centre of the map as presented by that link.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-07-18, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph

Hi staph. Yeah, it looks like that's Coronado Island.

I haven't been there for a few years, but when I was last there, the area including the swastika-shaped building was referred to as the Amphibious Warfare Center. On the other side of the road (the left side) is the barracks building for SEAL Team 3 (I *think* it's '3'). I believe they do a lot of the training you see in the movies on that beach to the left. IIRC, the SEAL team main building is called the Special Warfare Center. Anyone can drive on that road. That is, you could before 9/11/2001. I haven't been there since then, so security may have changed considerably.

Sometimes I would see a carrier docked on the north side of the island, but I never could get very close. Finally, during Navy Week up in Seattle, I got to go on the carrier Abraham Lincoln. I spent four hours aboard, soaking in everything I could, minutely examining the flight deck, asking a million questions, sitting in the captain's bridge and the flight bridge that hangs out over the flight deck, riding the incredibly cool, fast and smooth aircraft lift that elevates fighter jets from the hangar bay up to the flight deck. The enormous hangar bay was empty during open house. All the aircraft normally in that bay had been flown elsewhere - for protection from the tourists. But I did see all kinds of cool engines in the engine repair shop. (On a previous trip to Miramar Naval Air Station near San Diego - Home of Top Gun - I 'did' get to sit in a Tomcat .)

Also in Seattle, I got to go on a sub-tender - a huge vessel that supplies nuclear submarines - one of which was alongside the tender at the time. SO fascinating. I would give *anything* to go on a sub.

Across the water west of Coronado Island is a submarine base, and a facility where dophins are trained for underwater warfare.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-07-18, 15:03

Man, I really resent those Nazis for co-opting the swastika for themselves. I'm even more angry that they have apparently gotten away with it. You'd think Frank Lloyd Wright was the antichrist himself if you take a look at his floor plans.
autodata
hustlin

2005-07-18, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan

Link

see the conversation over at google sightseeing
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-18, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Man, I really resent those Nazis for co-opting the swastika for themselves. I'm even more angry that they have apparently gotten away with it. You'd think Frank Lloyd Wright was the antichrist himself if you take a look at his floor plans.
lol... good point. I think it was also used in one of those Far Eastern religions before the Nazis, too (sounds bad to say it that way, but I don't want to guess the wrong one, either).
staph
Microbial member

2005-07-18, 20:05

It was used by various ancient people, including iirc the Celts and the Greeks (and occasionally the Romans — there's a very nice dinner service from France at the British museum with very tasteful inlaid swastikas), and is currently an important Buddhist symbol (although the arms are usually pointed the other way). In fact, on many maps I've seen Buddhist temples and monasteries are marked with a little swastika symbol to this day.

To be honest, in countries where the swastika really does have a deep cultural influence, I think the Nazis largely failed to change public opinion wrt the symbol.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-18, 21:12

Holy shit, Google Maps found jesus.