User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

14" iBook vs. 15" PowerBook, Sooner vs. Later

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
14" iBook vs. 15" PowerBook, Sooner vs. Later
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2005-04-07, 14:44

Alright, I'm not posting this for me. I'm posting this for my mom, who I recently conviced to buy a Mac.

The options she's deciding between are the 14" SuperDrive iBook, and the 15" SuperDrive PowerBook. I'm trying to convice her to buy the PowerBook. But that isn't the main reason I'm posting. The main point of this, is that She wants to have this laptop before May 4th, and She's also never used Mac OS before, and will need some time to learn it (She wants two weeks minimum). So my question is, should I tell her to go buy the PowerBook now, and reserve a copy of Tiger on Amazon, or tell her to wait for Tiger to come out?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-04-07, 15:02

Really depends on when Apple's announcing/releasing Tiger. I wouldn't base a purchase around that, if you're willing to spend $100 to help her upgrade to Tiger down the line.

It's much more important that she gets as much time to acclimate herself to the OS. Tiger will only help productivity, but one has to get the basics down first.
mers

2005-04-07, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
So my question is, should I tell her to go buy the PowerBook now, and reserve a copy of Tiger on Amazon, or tell her to wait for Tiger to come out?
Lots of people are having the same dilemma, myself included. My plan is to wait til NAB, Tiger or not. On the other hand, my maximum loss is $50 since Tiger will probably be $70 at student pricing. Your price difference may be more.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-04-07, 15:14

Depending on her previous experience your Mum needs to get used to using a Mac (as compared to Wintel or as compared to nothing at all). Either way, the upgrade to Tiger is less important than the initial switch. What's important is that she's happy and relaxed using a Mac - Tiger is less important.

Buy now (tomorrow) and enjoy Panther. In 6 mths upgrade to Tiger. But however you play it, spend time with your Mum helping her enjoy her Mac.

[BTW, get the PB - much better.]

FJ.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-04-07, 18:15

Tiger won't be too different. Once she's found her first steps around Panther a switch to Tiger won't be problematic.