User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 19 of 33 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-05-21, 15:02

I watched through all of season 2 of Love, Death & Robots one evening this week. It passed a lot quicker than I anticipated.

The second season didn't feel as interesting or impactful as the first to me. Admittedly, there's only so much you can fit in 5-10 minutes, which is the total runtime of most of them, but still most of them felt shallow or predictable. The two stand-outs for me were the first episode about the roomba for its humor and the last episode about the giant for its narrator and overall weirdness. When I was watching the first season, I definitely had this urge to tell my friends and coworkers to go check it out. Couldn't care less with this season, and I probably wouldn't have said anything anywhere if not for this thread reminding me.

Otherwise, the animation is certainly top notch, and I kind of see this second season as more of a tech demo reel for the artists than anything else.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-21, 21:47

We've been watching Mare of Easttown lately and I've been super into it.

It's based on the county in which I grew up, so I was pretty interested in it for that aspect of it at first, and it think it's hilarious when they name places and I have literally been there multiple times.

It's actually turned into a super interesting show and watching it for just more than the location history.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-31, 20:38

I've heard about/seen promos for Yellowstone for a couple of years now. They're running a marathon of it on Paramount (formerly Spike, I believe?) and I've been watching for a few hours on this holiday afternoon/evening, giving it an honest shot. Just looking for something new, different to watch.

Holy smokes, what a shitty show.

They're trying so hard to do that whole grim, hard-bitten men's men (a la Sons of Anarchy, which was the stupidest show I believe I've ever seen in my entire 52 years on the planet), and it's even more ridiculous dressed up in ranch wear. What a bunch of morose, stare-at-the-ground-and-say-grim-stuff cardboard cut-outs.

I've watched five episodes now and they're getting worse. I think Kevin Costner is asleep during filming and they CGI in open eyes in post. And all these young punks all over the place. Do any of these people actually work?

They managed to take all the worst aspects of CSI: Miami, Sons of Anarchy and nighttime-soap-of-your-choice (Dynasty, Melrose Place, etc.), roll it all together and "hey, it's a show about assholes in cowboy hats...enjoy!"

Uh, no.

I did see Wilford Brimley skulking about (being all Wilford Brimley about everything), so that was kinda cool. That and the scenery/cinematography (teleography?) are the only things this ridiculous, overwrought hunk of shit seems to have going for it. Nobody to root for, nobody is likable, everyone creates their own misery/drama by doing stupid, pointless things. I can't hang with shows like that. There has to be somebody in the mix that I don't want to see blown up or run over by a tank.

And I typically dig Kevin Costner in laconic, sourpuss-in-a-cowboy-hat mode (Open Range is one of my favorite movies ever), but this shit is absolutely unwatchable.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-26, 23:57

Any other Bosch fans here? Amazon just released the final season.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-14, 17:42

Loki.

Yeah, I'm digging the ending.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-07-14, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Any other Bosch fans here? Amazon just released the final season.
My wife digs it. She mentioned they got meta with the cast. Specifically, the episode where someone asked Jamie Hector (Marlo) if he had watched The Wire and he was like “I binged it”.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-14, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Loki.

Yeah, I'm digging the ending.
Spoiler (click to toggle):
This season finale has me cautiously optimistic about Phase 4. Kang is shaping up to be a much more interesting Big Bad than Thanos, who now looks boring and one-dimensional in comparison. Though I'm still surprised they chose to introduce such a major character in a TV show instead of a movie.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-15, 02:13

This was the equivalent of the teaser shot of Thanos at the end of The Avengers, but with more exposition.

My guess is that people who never catch this will understand the new big bad within the context of the films, this just adds another layer.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-15, 17:11

Quote:
This was the equivalent of the teaser shot of Thanos at the end of The Avengers, but with more exposition.
So much exposition. At one point, no joke, I paused and looked down at the timestamp to see how long they had been sitting there talking. "Surely the episode is nearly over… wait, no? Okay, please continue!"

Not that I'm complaining. My body is ready for the newly unfolding multiverse.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-15, 17:22

Also, for anyone who hasn't finished Loki yet, assuming it hasn't already been spoiled for you elsewhere on the internet, be sure to stick around for a very brief mid-credits sequence.

This is 7-8 seconds blink-and-you'll-miss-it brief.

One very important detail in there.

You're welcome.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
So much exposition. At one point, no joke, I paused and looked down at the timestamp to see how long they had been sitting there talking. "Surely the episode is nearly over… wait, no? Okay, please continue!"
Right?!? We started it at midnight Pacific Time, and in retrospect, that may have been a mistake, my wife was nearly having to hold her eyes open by the end.

Me, I loved it. I mean, I knew it was one of the K*, and she didn't, so she was waiting for 'the big reveal', while I'm hanging on every word.

Quote:
Not that I'm complaining. My body is ready for the newly unfolding multiverse.
So multi.

Much verse.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 01:44

I put in a decade of watching the MCU come together, and it was a great run. And that's pretty much done for me.

Of course Disney needs to keep the revenue flowing. What should happen in reality is that the corporation should be broken up.
No one company should wield so much power that they can largely rewrite copyright law to their own liking.

I'll probably check in from time to time, but I doubt they can match the original run. Everybody is having to turn to time travel and multiverses and it's a headache to keep all that straight without watching every release. Which of course is the intent.

Call me when it's time to reboot the Star Wars sequel trilogy (7-9) though.
I'd watch that, if just to clear the memories of the last three films.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-16, 03:49

As much as some - most? - dislike those movies, that will never happen. Right or wrong, that’s the wrap-up to the Skywalker saga.

We can choose to ignore it, but it would be a very rude insult to all those who worked hard to bring those movies to the world.

Yes, they’re a rudderless, disjointed and soulless point-missing mess and a dull thud of a trilogy. But that’s how it goes.

The best they can do at this point is try to make up for it with the streaming offerings - the Mandalorian and Obi-Wan shows* probably being their best chances at doing so. Keep it fun, forward-moving and having a coherent reason to exist and you’re halfway there.

It isn’t hard to make quality, enjoyable Star Wars fare. Look to 1977-1983 (and not 2015-2019) as your guide and inspiration and a lot of it will take care of itself.

Even now that’s my biggest takeaway/sore spot with the sequels: “how in the world do you mess up Star Wars?!?” A child could’ve hammered out a more engaging, coherent set of movies. There’s simply nothing grand or memorable about them.

But they would never a) undermine the efforts of the cast and crew, and b) admit to such failure/lapse (“hey, we spent millions and six-plus years creating limp, uninspiring turds nobody remembers! Let us fix that.”

Ain’t ever gonna happen, if only for those two reasons.

*It’s my opinion that we will never see another big-screen, theatrical Star Wars movie again. Way more bang-for-the-buck (and revenue) opportunity to make this a small-screen, serialized affair. I truly believe 2019 is the last time a Star Wars movie appears at the multiplex. At least for a solid 2-3 decades. If it does happen, it ain’t gonna be anytime soon. They’re gonna throw their eggs in that streaming basket for the foreseeable future, I believe.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-16, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Also, for anyone who hasn't finished Loki yet, assuming it hasn't already been spoiled for you elsewhere on the internet, be sure to stick around for a very brief mid-credits sequence.

This is 7-8 seconds blink-and-you'll-miss-it brief.

One very important detail in there.

You're welcome.
You have no idea how hard it is to not read spoilers right now. I'm on ep 3 right now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-16, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You have no idea how hard it is to not read spoilers right now. I'm on ep 3 right now.
Keep it up, my man!! Experiencing the plot twists unfolding spoiler-free is totally worth it. Watching shows and movies over the last year or two has been really nice since I made a conscious effort to avoid the typical social media and "news" outlets.

My wife and I have a mid-day habit of watching shows like this over lunch. We typically only fit about 20 minutes or so before I have to get back to work. So, an episode usually spans two meals for us.

edit: Oh, also, be sure to watch out for a mid-credits sequence at the end of episode 4.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-16, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I put in a decade of watching the MCU come together, and it was a great run. And that's pretty much done for me.
I thought the same thing after Avengers Endgame, to be honest. I felt like the lackluster Captain Marvel movie was a sign they were running out of fresh ideas and that I was getting burnout from these characters' stories. Add to the mix the turds that DC had been pumping out, and I figured I was done with all these big arcs. I might just enjoy the occasional one-off movie like before these connected universes came along. I assumed the upcoming TV shows were going to be obvious retreads or unwanted backstories or similar easy cash grabs, and I was not at all enthused when their announcements first started rolling out.

For some background, I was never a huge comic nerd growing up in the 80s/90s. I was aware of that world, and I could name at least a dozen or so headline characters from DC and Marvel. I remember it being kind of a big deal when my uncle, whom I never thought of as "a comic guy", got a copy of the death of Superman issue when that came out in '93. I could hum the John Williams' score for Superman '78 and Elfman's score for Batman '89 on demand. I guess that puts me pretty squarely in the "general audiences" category these franchises are hoping to attract.

So, it was a real surprise when Wandavision grabbed my attention. In hindsight, Falcon and Winter Soldier was enjoyable but not must-see TV. Loki, on the other hand, has totally grabbed my attention once more, and I'm right back on the edge of my seat hungry for more. Loki's story goes places I would not have expected, and the writers do a fantastic job turning him from a mostly flat, one-note baddie into a three-dimensional person with heart and soul.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-16, 14:30

Wandavision was SO CREATIVE.

Falcon and Winter Soldier was SO BORING.

Loki was PRETTY AWESOME IN THE MIDDLE.

I am SO TIRED OF SUPER HEROES.

This content is TERRIBLY UNCREATIVE.

Lets ALL TURN INWARD AND MAKE OURSELVES BETTER.

It would be cool if WE DIDN'T DISCUSS STAR WARS OR MCU FOR 1 YEAR!

How do I TURN OFF THIS CAPS LOCK THING???

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 14:32

My understanding is that Falcon and Winter Soldier was a victim of the pandemic and last-minute rewrite. Apparently a deadly virus was supposed to be a plot point in that show, but then when covid hit Disney decided to rewrite the show without reshooting it all.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-16, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Wandavision was SO CREATIVE.

Falcon and Winter Soldier was SO BORING.

Loki was PRETTY AWESOME IN THE MIDDLE.

I am SO TIRED OF SUPER HEROES.

This content is TERRIBLY UNCREATIVE.

Lets ALL TURN INWARD AND MAKE OURSELVES BETTER.

It would be cool if WE DIDN'T DISCUSS STAR WARS OR MCU FOR 1 YEAR!

How do I TURN OFF THIS CAPS LOCK THING???

Oh, go drink a beer!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-16, 14:41

SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Anybody over the age of 50 may remember the Japanese monster-fighting robot show called Ultraman.

Netflix has an animated sequel, in which the protagonist of the original series is a man in his 60s/70s with a grown son who inherits the mantle.

They dive down into the way the suits work and the structure of the organization and all sorts of intrigue - all elements missing from the original show.

It's surprisingly well done (FOR A CARTOON!!) and many scenes look motion captured - the movements are so lifelike. I'm surprised that I found it so engaging, especially because of my previous outburst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Oh, go drink a beer!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 16:05

Quote:
How do I TURN OFF THIS CAPS LOCK THING???...
When a man reaches a certain age, there are... changes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-16, 16:13

And there ain't nothing but a bunch of old people around here!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 16:55

Wil Wheaton is now older than Patrick Stewart was when ST:TNG first aired.

You're welcome.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-16, 17:20

Quote:
SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Anybody over the age of 50 may remember the Japanese monster-fighting robot show called Ultraman.]
Sounds familiar. I remember, as a kid/early teen, coming home from school and TBS(?) would play some neat cartoons of this description. They seemed Japanese. Some were live action, some where animated. But they all had a certain look/vibe and I always dug them in my yoof.

I remember one where everyone was kinda dressed as birds and flew around in a bird-looking plane thingie? It was animated.

PS - As an even younger kid (in the 4-5 range), I did not miss Gigantor, which got played on my local public channel (WTCI 45). It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I bet I drew 100 pictures of him in kindergarten. I remember being fascinated with Jimmy Sparks' shorts/blazer/tie ensemble and begged my mom to get me such an outfit to wear to school, the grocery store, etc.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 18:52

Quote:
Star Trek: Crusher.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-16, 19:05

Quote:

You're welcome.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Sounds familiar. I remember, as a kid/early teen, coming home from school and TBS(?) would play some neat cartoons of this description. They seemed Japanese. Some were live action, some where animated. But they all had a certain look/vibe and I always dug them in my yoof.

I remember one where everyone was kinda dressed as birds and flew around in a bird-looking plane thingie? It was animated.
Gonna bet it was G-Force, an Americanization of Gatchaman.

Either that, or you're a hell of a lot younger than I thought you were, and you're thinking of Silverhawks...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-16, 19:39

I’m 52, so however that shakes out.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-17, 20:27

Gatchaman it is then, Silverhawks was 1986.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-17, 20:53

It was G-Force.

But listen.

My favorite is Spectreman.

The dubbing is HILARIOUS.

HILARIOUS.