User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Changing VoiceOver's Language

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Changing VoiceOver's Language
Swing

2005-07-24, 04:34

I want to change VoiceOver's spoken language from English to French. I have changed the Preferences International language settings to use French as first priority, and so most of the menus and submenus are now in French, but VoicerOver still speaks in English and I see no options in the VoiceOver Utility to change the language.

Is there any way for me to make VoiceOver speak French?

Last edited by Swing : 2005-07-24 at 04:37.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-07-24, 06:28

No, this is not possible because Apple hasn't made text to speech in any other language other than English.

(Actually I remember they had a spanish version sometime back in the day.)
Swing

2005-07-24, 06:52

Thanks stevegong. Now I can stop digging and trying to tweak all over and perform endless Apple.com and Google searches!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-24, 19:12

Yeah, Apple had the whole text-to-speech extension available in Spanish for OS 8 and 9 and it was pretty good, too! I am still surprised that Apple never bothered to rerelease it for Mac OS X since is surely shares most of its codebase with the English version.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2005-07-25, 07:22

Yeah, I wish it had french, since I am in love with france and their beautiful girls.
Swing

2005-07-26, 14:27

stevegong, you are in Rome and in love with France and the girls here? I do agree they are generally very pretty here.

But this proves the adage that "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." For me, Italian women are tops (except for my wife of course who is at the very top).
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2005-07-26, 15:45

"The grass is always greener on the other side" may be true in some instances, but I think not in this case. I think French people give the Italians too much credit.

Italian girls = silly, frivolous, superficial, sometimes unrefined, not as hot as French girls

French girls = lively, strong personality, feminine yet not overly effeminate, graceful, I could go on and on

The only type of Italian girl I like is the type that's always studying. You can see them studying on the bus, in the metro, it's amazing.

My dream is to get with a girl from the south of France. Charming and provincial. From some place like Digne les bains. I'm planning to move to france after I graduate from this American school (where most girls are sorority girls...bleh)

I've travelled around the world only to be disappointed, yet when I see a French girl, that disappointment goes away.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-07-26, 16:05

As long as we are this much off topic, where can i get me one of these french girls?
Swing

2005-07-26, 16:15

Hmmmm, I will always remember one of my first times in Italy and I was seeking directions from a young, very pretty Italian girl. My first language is English, but I thought perhaps I should try French. So I asked her in French if she knew where such and such a location was- she immediately said in very good English "perhaps for you I should speak English . . ." Turns out she was a student at a University very near my destination location. Maybe that experience has helped shaped my superlatively positive perception of Italian women.

And I suppose I better not stray even further off topic . . .
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2005-07-26, 16:54

Yeah, it's a pretty uncommon encounter, I'd say, cause just about no one in Italy is any good at English.
Swing

2005-07-27, 02:44

Maciej, well I found mine in Chicago, as she was visiting there while staying in Iowa City for a fellowship. So you never know where you'll bump into one. Because I bumped into her I now live over here most of the time- and with our two kids.

stevegong, maybe that Italian girl was one of those you spoke of who is always studying. And maybe one reason French people love Italians so much is because French people are not always so, uhmm, polite with one another; whereas the Italians seem so nice and relaxed in contrast.

But hey, both French and Italian people, and any person from anywhere, can be very nice. It is always best to look for the good in people. And especially in women.

And maybe Apple will help us out by releasing an update to VoiceOver that can indirectly help us learn to communicate with them in more languages !
The Grim

2005-10-26, 11:50

I see. The Text to speech is only in English US. I have US Mac, but I can not find the British or Australian English text to speech. I want to listen to other accent too. Are there any options here? It came with US dictionary even-though it shows most of the British vocabulary . Can I get British dictionary from Apple? Yep, I would love to see any text to speech in Roman language.