New business cards. Opinions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New business cards. Opinions?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-08-20, 16:03

I'm going back into private practice, so I've had to create some new business cards. What do people think?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-08-20, 16:06

Is the goldfish picture your logo?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-20, 16:06

I like them.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-08-20, 16:08

Looks okay to me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-20, 16:11

I like it. Gives a feeling of peace for some reason.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 16:11

Thanks guys. I tried hard to create a unified image between my website and my business cards and I think it came out ok.

The goldfish picture is my defacto logo right now. I really like it. It's part of my squarespace template design. I'm trying to find out how to pay for rights to its use outside of the template but I'm not exactly sure where to start. Any thoughts?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-08-20, 16:12

Not bad, but the asymmetry of the fish is driving me nuts. I keep looking at the negative space trying to make it into something.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-08-20, 16:18

To me, the orange of the fish doesn't work with the light grey background. What does it look like with white background? Or cream? Do the fish get more "pop"?

I'm also unsure about the all-caps sans-serif titles with lowercase serif text below. Maybe make the fonts consistent? Or at least use the same font throughtout with all-caps for the titles. I prefer the sans-serif font myself, but that's just an opinion.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 16:21

I had a hard time with some of the layout, particularly around that middle section. I decided that I should just go with the space.

I'll work up a version with all sans serif fonts but I'm afraid of trying to seem *too* trendy with sans serif everywhere.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-08-20, 16:24

Oh, and the thing that a designer friend of mine always says is; get something printed on the back, too. Maybe the fish logo on it's own. Or "Durham DBT". Just print something - makes the card seem classier if it's double-sided, and the additional cost is trivial.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
To me, the orange of the fish doesn't work with the light grey background. What does it look like with white background? Or cream? Do the fish get more "pop"?

I'm also unsure about the all-caps sans-serif titles with lowercase serif text below. Maybe make the fonts consistent? Or at least use the same font throughtout with all-caps for the titles. I prefer the sans-serif font myself, but that's just an opinion.
The background is supposed to be slightly cream colored. Of course, my display isn't properly calibrated.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Oh, and the thing that a designer friend of mine always says is; get something printed on the back, too. Maybe the fish logo on it's own. Or "Durham DBT". Just print something - makes the card seem classier if it's double-sided, and the additional cost is trivial.
I've got some appointment information on the back. Not exciting, I know, but functional. I should put the fish back there but maybe I'll have 2 sets - one for patients and one to give out to clinician's etc.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Not bad, but the asymmetry of the fish is driving me nuts. I keep looking at the negative space trying to make it into something.
How would you improve it? Make it more rounded?
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-08-20, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
You need a shrink!

I think the card looks good, torifile. Getting rights to use that fish design outside of the hosted template might prove to be more a challenge. The templates seem to belong to Squarespace; if you really want to know, you could ask them.

Good luck with your practice!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
You need a shrink!

I think the card looks good, torifile. Getting rights to use that fish design outside of the hosted template might prove to be more a challenge. The templates seem to belong to Squarespace; if you really want to know, you could ask them.

Good luck with your practice!
Thanks. I emailed them and the template author. Hopefully it'll work out.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-08-20, 19:59

Needs some Comic Sans to look friendlier, but some Copperplate to balance it out and look professional... and swap out those asymmetrical fish for a badass Ouroboros. With FLAMES! But maybe that makes it too awesome, and you need to add something to keep it interesting for the ladies, like a pink background or a lolcat. And some starry sparkles for the kids, 'cause vampires sparkle, right?

…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-08-20, 20:08

Hey, that's *my* shrink's card!

But... CBT? Jesus man, that's harsh.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Needs some Comic Sans to look friendlier, but some Copperplate to balance it out and look professional... and swap out those asymmetrical fish for a badass Ouroboros. With FLAMES! But maybe that makes it too awesome, and you need to add something to keep it interesting for the ladies, like a pink background or a lolcat. And some starry sparkles for the kids, 'cause vampires sparkle, right?

…

Awe. Some.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2010-08-20, 20:20

Love it - especially the quasi-connection of the surname and the address.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-08-20, 20:22

Sheeeiit. That design's just oozing with awesome. Everyone picked up on the psychiatric subtexts of the Ouroborus and the ceiling cat, right?

Quote:
Carl Jung interpreted the Ouroboros as having an archetypal significance to the human psyche. The Jungian psychologist Erich Neumann writes of it as a representation of the pre-ego "dawn state", depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child.
Quote:
Ceiling cat watches you masturbate.
I'm not sure if I should charge by the pixel or by the meaning-layer for this one…

I'd say it's my greatest masterpiece yet.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-20, 20:29

Hell yeah it is!

Definitely charge by the pixel...and then double it, because that's how good it is! I was going to submit a couple of ideas and refinements of my own, but jeez..why bother now? I just hit Command+Q on Photoshop and Illustrator and called it a night.

There's your card, Sammy. You're a poopyhead if you don't use it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-08-20, 20:54

I'd go to you if you had that card. My old psych's office had just a plain boring card with name, number, address. This is oozing with cool. Your patients totally want cool.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-20, 21:32

Shit. Are we talking about Brad's masterwork or my drab, boring card?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-08-20, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm going back into private practice, so I've had to create some new business cards. What do people think?

ok... here goes...

I like the idea of the circling koi on the back of the card. I would replace them on the front with a more side view swimming coi, a play on the image on the back and your overall website design.

I would differentiate the font between DURHAM DBT... and your name more so than it is now. Playing around with fonts will help separate them.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-08-21, 05:04

Anybody else look at the logo and immediately think of the Firefox logo?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-08-21, 05:09

Brad, that card is fucking epic. If a couple of addresses are changed on it, I would think that should go as a shirt design.
Iago

2010-08-21, 06:36

Too much information on there. I'd centre the logo on the reverse of the card (emboss it if you can), with the Durham DBT text. Drop some of the text -- having the DURHAM DBT and then your name in columns is kinda weird. It just looks really busy. Do you need all that information on there? Has anybody ever faxed you in a first instance of contact? Since 1980?

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 07:10

If you do decide to keep the current arrangement, I would be sure to align the baselines of the upper two columns ("Durham DBT, Inc./Specializing in DBT and CBT" and "Sammy F. Banawan, Ph.D./Licensed blah blah").

It does sort of feel like all the information is crowded into the corners, particularly in the upper left. Rendering "Durham DBT, Inc." in lowercase might help, or else increasing the tracking (as on your website). You could also try reducing the border a bit -- right now you have a thicker border with narrower cell padding, and you could reverse the two. That might help open things up a bit.

Right now I see two poor fish trying to escape, but being blocked at every turn by text.

If it were me, I'd shrink the fish a good deal and use them as a divider between "Durham DBT..." and "Sammy...Ph.D.," which I'd center vertically, allowing for a single row of the most crucial information accross the bottom of the card — and on the back, a larger version of the fish design (maybe a white line version knocked out of orange?). But that's just what I'd do.

Personal question: Is there a reason you're including your middle initial? I just see lots of medical professionals do that, for some reason, and it always fascinates me. Does "Sammy Banawan, Ph.D." convey less gravitas?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2010-08-21 at 07:50.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-08-21, 08:28

What Kickaha said; the fish should be symmetric. The two fonts also kind of clash; I'd drop the serif altogether and make everything sans-serif for ease of reading.

There's generally too much info, too many boxes, and too many different font sizes. You want the important bits to pop out and make people interested in that.

For instance, having your name to the right of the company name but right-aligned and a tad smaller looks unbalanced. While your license number is noteworthy, I'd make that whole line a lot smaller and place that at the bottom left, putting the website and e-mail address between address and phone numbers, having a single box of all contact information, only separated by a line break (and perhaps a line, bullet, tilde or similar). Also, what others said about a back side.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
While your license number is noteworthy, I'd make that whole line a lot smaller and place that at the bottom left...
To be fair, the "Licensed..." line also contains his job description ("Psychologist"), which probably should go next to his name and title, and not the contact info. Unless prohibited by any laws or professional organizations, my instinct would be to reword the line to read "Psychologist, NC License 3234." The most important takeaway from that line is "Psychologist"; "Licensed" is an (admittedly important) modifier and having the word twice on one line is redundant — as he has an NC License number, we can reasonably conclude that he is in fact licensed. Alternatively, tori could change the line to simply read "Psychologist" and put the license info where you say.

I agree with most else you say, about consolidating the contact information; there's too many points of alignment as is (I'm not sure what the fish are aligned to). I might be a bit too forward-thinking on this, but I'd question the need for a (physical) address on the card; how many people are going to visit the practice in person without calling, emailing, or visiting the website first? I'm with Iago on this one; business cards are all about that first instance of contact. I think of business cards as being for an individual, not a building/organization. Alternatively, the address could go on the back, with a larger fish "logo"; that way one side would represent tori and the other side his practice.

Four semicolons. Woo!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong