PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-02-21, 15:37

Fuji makes some very nice cameras.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-01, 09:41

I really, really like this camera and have everything to learn all over again.

While registering the camera I realized that the camera's serial number doesn't match the box or the receipt from B&H and have asked Fuji to explain what I'm supposed to do (since they require a photo of the receipt, and the receipt shows the number on the box, not the number on the camera).

First world problem x infinity.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-01, 11:05

Did you buy a new one or a used one? If it’s new, take it back to B&H and get one with matching numbers or you are hooped for warranty support. If it’s used, not much you can do, and you’d have no warranty anyway, unless B&H gives one.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-01, 12:20

It’s one of those things. 99% of the time nothing goes wrong. I’ve bought a lot of used and refurb gear, but the only two items I ever had trouble with were new. That said, if you paid for a new item, that’s what you should get.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-01, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Did you buy a new one or a used one? If it’s new, take it back to B&H and get one with matching numbers or you are hooped for warranty support. If it’s used, not much you can do, and you’d have no warranty anyway, unless B&H gives one.
It's a new camera. Yeah, I think this warrants a call to B&H Photo. Dammit.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-01, 15:44

Yeah. People have been known to swap good new cameras for old ones and return them to the store. It’s an old scam. The boxes aren’t sealed so it’s easy to do I suppose. They just put stickers on them to look like the new one. That said it could have just been a mess up at the factory or B&H.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-01, 17:43

B&H issued me a corrected invoice. I uploaded it to Fuji. Moving on! 🤣

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-01, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
B&H issued me a corrected invoice. I uploaded it to Fuji. Moving on! 🤣

Good to hear they fixed it!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-02, 08:38

B&H has always been solid on the customer support side for me. Glad they took care of it for you so fast.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-11, 07:40

I went down the soft release button rabbit hole last night, from discovering that they existed to learning that they could potentially cause damage. I learned that some people swore by them and that other people swore about them. I decided not to get one, but man what a ride.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-11, 11:25

Damage? It's a screw on attachment. I guess if you over tighten it, that could cause damage? I had a Fuji X30 as a compact for a few years and used the ancient screw in cable release we got for our film camera in the 1980's, no damage was inured by using it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-23, 05:07

Amazon is shutting down the website DPReview.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/21/2...utdown-layoffs

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-23, 07:25

I was a little surprised when the news broke a few days ago, but not shocked. With the decline in camera sales, and add blockers I’m sure the revenue from the site has fallen off the cliff in recent years. It was a sad day when Amazon bought the site, it was only a matter of time.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-23, 08:30

Yeah, I used them many many times over the years and always trusted their reviews. In the end it is just time marching on but that was a solid staple for so long.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-23, 08:32

I think "influencers" ate what was left of their lunch after the general contraction of ILC market... which is sad because influencers are mostly worthless to consumers.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-03-23 at 08:46.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-23, 15:06

Influencers and human ads. Little are genuine and cannot be trusted as providing anything factual.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-06-20, 21:42

Great news! Gear Patrol has acquired DPReview and it all sounds good!

https://www.dpreview.com/site-news/8...th-gear-patrol

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-21, 08:15

Nice. I had pretty much completely written them off, nice to know they will still be around!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-06-21, 09:07

Never heard of gear patrol, but keeping the resources alive is good news.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-11, 19:32

I need a bag to carry my Fuji and a few extra lenses and batts. I'm looking on B&H and googling. Not looking for anything too big. What's a small but decent. I don't really want a backpack, but a small sling might work.

(Thank you, and please)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-11, 20:23

I love my bag but can’t think of the name right now. Not really a sling, but works well for my Rebel XT and two extra lenses. Might be big for your needs, but I love the quality of the bag. I’ll see about digging up the name for you.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-11, 21:12

Thanks T!

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-08-11, 21:28

I’m partial to the ThinkTank Retrospective series for not too much money and nicely made.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-12, 14:13

Crumpler Five Million Dollar Home is the bag I have. I've had it for more than 17 years and it is still in amazing shape.

I don't know if they even make bags anymore but it has been awesome and I'm still using it when I take my gear out. Granted, that isn't that often anymore, but it still happens.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-12, 16:06

Yes! They still make that bag. Currently in black and green. It looks a bit floppy. Is it not?

https://www.crumpler.com/products/5-...40703044223055

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-08-12, 16:30

Those Crumpler bags, and camera bags in general, are overpriced for what they offer in most cases. This coming from someone with three different camera bags, worth over $800 combined. I needed a big one for the Nikon 200-400mm F4G VR, that was pricey. I find the shoulder bags not very comfortable for anything but a short walk from a vehicle to a home. If you are doing more than that, do yourself a favor and get a backpack style one. For security, one that opens from the side that faces your back.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-12, 23:10

I found what I was looking for - a "Bring Your Own Bag" case meant to fit into an existing bag. I really didn't want another backpack to keep up with, and this doesn't cost a lot.

https://tenba.com/tenba-byob-10-dslr...k-insert-blue/

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-08-12, 23:22

Looks good.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-12, 23:57

The Crumpler bag isn’t floppy at all. Really sturdy actually.

I’d get something like that insert you linked to though now. If you don’t want a dedicated camera bag then it fits the bill well.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-13, 06:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The Crumpler bag isn’t floppy at all. Really sturdy actually.

I’d get something like that insert you linked to though now. If you don’t want a dedicated camera bag then it fits the bill well.
I was impressed that Crumpler still manufacture that particular bag. It must be one of their original products? I wonder how many color combos they've offered down through the years. That green bag with orange piping and blue interior is really loud

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter