User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 98 of 103 First Previous 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-09, 14:59

...and right on cue:

Robert Pattinson Has a Warning: ‘The Batman’ Is a ‘Sad Movie’ Where Bruce Wayne Is a ‘Weirdo’

Sounds awesome, can't wait! That's exactly what everyone is pumped for, after two years of sadness and everyone around them being a weirdo.

A pretty tough read, for reasons that have nothing to do with Batman.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-02-09, 15:05

We don't need Hollywood anymore. I have a box full of masks in my car. Everybody's a superhero now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-09, 15:39

Hollywood — whereby "Hollywood" means "entrenched big-budget studios that suck" — sucks. I see about 4 big-budget movies in any given year, and so far very few of them have been worth even dollar-movie squat. Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and even Apple have been releasing significantly better stuff on their streaming platforms where I don't have to wander into a single theater to watch anything at all, and where the cost of an entire month's worth of entertainment is less than a single theater-movie with it's expected drinks and popcorn for two. The last one I saw was one I got stuck with because my daughter had a class and couldn't go on her mommy-daughter date, so I went with my wife instead. We saw Redeeming Love, which was released by no one, starring no one, and was very good (beware: it takes a very dark peak into the sex-slave trade, and made me want to kill stuff). The point here is that it wasn't released by some box-office juggernaut and was better than any of those things I've seen recently, with one exception (The Unforgiveable — which was a Netflix Original).

Otherwise, I'm getting far more out of the streaming services than "Hollywood" can deliver. They suck, period. They've lost their creativity, originality, and draw.

Blech.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-09, 16:00

It's still Hollywood...it isn't like this streaming stuff is being handcrafted by the Amish or tree elves. It's just a different delivery format/system and it's making some studios approach things a bit differently. Maybe with smaller budgets and all, it's easier to take chances or roll the dice that you can't when you're expected to put out $250M+ "tentpole" movies on a certain timeframe. If you can make engaging, quality fare with lesser-known actors and reasonable budgets, and they still get well received and help earn money, then that's where things will head.

Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt and The Jennifers can't be in everything. The era of the same 25 or so actors being in damn near everything will probably start to go away some. And that's good too. Lots of new talent will be discovered and make themselves known to the world.

There's very good stuff being made - both full-length movies and TV shows - by the various streamers. Anything that's keeping Gillian Anderson employed/visible gets a thumbs-up in my book.

Things are shifting. COVID certainly helped it along and maybe accelerated/made clear a few things. The delivery method is there - gazillions are already enjoying streaming fare in the comfort of their own homes. It's business-related decisions that are making it to where stuff like Spider-Man and Batman are hitting as "in theaters only". But that won't always be the case.

It can't.

And those who don't pivot and adapt to what's obviously coming...too bad. They should've had more vision (and a better crystal ball). All those horse-drawn buggy makers who thought Henry Ford and others were out of their minds learned the hard way. I don't work in showbiz but even I can see that the era of the multiplex, and seeing movies as we've always known, is probably in its final solid decade.

Nothing lasts forever, we're just seeing the slow ramp-down of something we've all grown up knowing/attending our entire lives, that's all. But our grandkids won't miss a beat.

Progress always breaks a few eggs.

And the smart people will lament less the delivery method and embrace what smaller, leaner and lighter might mean to filmmaking, TV production, budgets, expectations, etc. We've spent 2-3 decades throwing around a lot of money - both on the production and the consumption ends - for a lot of hokey, shaky and unasked-for shit. Maybe those days will taper down too.

Nobody's going to leave money on the table, but some will be quicker to the trough than others.

If I were a writer/director type, I'd see so much opportunity and possibility out there. So many outlets/potential "eyes" that didn't exist just a decade ago.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-09 at 16:21.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-02-10, 03:36

Speaking of weirdos…

I can't wait not to see Morbius.

Third-rate, C-list Spider-Man villain gets his own movie, but he's also probably a "complicated" good guy now. The trailer was pretty weak ("some form of… bat radar" ). Jared Leto being the lead already has a lot of folks worried. And this ho-hum poster that was just released isn't doing it any favors.

Sony sure is leaning into the "Hey! It's from Marvel! You like Marvel, right?!" vibes. Gotta milk that Spider-Man contract as hard as they can.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-10, 05:16

And another “exclusively in cinemas” release. Can you imagine this being the reason you got COVID? If I’m gonna roll that dice, it ain’t gonna be over a Marvel movie starring this doof.

Leto busts out as Joker, giving the world the stupidest take yet on the character, and Marvel is like “we’ll take him!”

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-10 at 05:27.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-02-10, 05:40

(Notice how there's no Disney logo. Apparently, this is because the film has been stuck in development hell since May 2000, and back then, Marvel struck a deal with Sony.

My guess is if Disney were involved, they'd have made it at least a hybrid release.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-10, 11:53

Something about this new Jurassic thing just doesn't look good, or right. Jurassic Park was something like 30 years ago, so can we assume that these dinosaurs have been evolving for 30 years? And it appears to me that they have gone through several million years of evolution in that time frame, and are now spreading across the planet by the thousands upon thousands.

Also, how long does it take a massive dinosaur to grow to full size? 10 minutes?

Those gigantic sea monsters must be at least a hundred feet long, and seem to get there in a few years at most. So, I'm just not convinced these folks have their reality in check.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-02-10, 11:59

Chris Pratt Needs More Money: The Movie
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-10, 12:02

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-10, 12:18

"But...in this one there's snow! See, we ARE doing things completely different!"

Gonna take a wild guess...some people, against their better judgment (and knowing what likely happens if they do) will, once again, go somewhere they shouldn't. And then scream/cry as their friends/co-workers get eaten...by dinosaurs.

Am I close?

These people - along with the cast of any Alien/Prometheus-based movie - can all die horrible, bloody deaths for all I care. I cannot root for stupid people doing the same thing that nearly got them killed in 1-4 prior movies. These movies all hinge on "allegedly intelligent adults who never learn from their mistakes". Any movie/franchise where I root for the slasher/monster/villain is a movie I don't want to waste time watching. Their survival offends me.

This is their "bring all the gang together" effort. It says "conclusion" of the thing, but you know good and well it's just the jumping off point to another trilogy...BD Wong's Egg Emporium: The Hatching - Chapter One or some such shit.

And something about Chris Pratt just makes me want to throw my TV out into the yard. I do not get that guy's appeal at all. I truly don't. He's like Russell Brand or Chelsea Handler to me...just something very offputting/annoying about his very existence. And now he's all hooked up with the Kennedys/Schwarzeneggers, ffs. That's just icing on an already moist turd cake.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-02-11, 01:15

I just saw the new Batman trailer on TV. You guys are right, I can't wait not to see it either. Who wants to see this?

We (rightfully) give Disney a hard time for screwing up the sequel trilogy, but Warner Brothers is also just one unbelievable hot mess.

You have the Justice League. It's a money printing machine. All you need is a script that doesn't have Batman and Superman fighting each other. But no.

You have Hanna-Barbara. Laff-A-Lympics is a beloved franchise with a cast of characters that could easily move over to video games and make Nintendo's Mario and Luigi beg for mercy. But no.

Instead, we're going to make a Matrix sequel that nobody cared for, a Batman nobody asked for, and -while we're at it-make a Batgirl that features the 1989 version of Batman, because the multiverse is a really hot thing right now.

I'd rather suffer a thousand watchings of Jurassic World before I see any of this stuff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-11, 01:55

Yeah, it's all a bit silly.

I truly believe - due to about 3-4 reasons (timing, tone, The World™ in general, etc. - this movie (The Batman) is going to underwhelm/underperform in a way WB/DC aren't prepared for or expecting. It might open strong, but I think it'll be one of those things that makes most of its haul in those first 3-4 days (including those advance Thursday night screenings).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-11 at 09:45.
matthew90

2022-02-13, 13:58

Don't Look Up - 7/10

I have to admit that I didn't pay full attention to the film from start to finish and may have missed a few scenes, but I think I've seen enough to say, that this is a pretty good movie.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-13, 16:46

Most of us saw it at a matinee in Toledo. It was alright.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-02-13, 17:54

Yes, we have a group discount. Let us know if you would like the code. You can buy many wonderful things with the points you earn!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-14, 12:06

Yeah, no doubt. I got a brand new spork from Custom Sporks R Us. Retail was, like, 38 cents!
Dr. Bobsky

2022-02-17, 18:10

Are you going to use those sporks for the incoming spam?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-17, 18:26

Shut up and get the spork out!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-21, 16:41

Why?

Stupid shit actors say/do.

If only James Lipton were still around...I'd love to see him get all over himself over such revelations.

"As your adoring audience sits before you, please tell us, Paul Dano, the depths you journeyed to bring this spellbinding performance to the screen. I saw it last night, and as I sat there in the cinema I realized that it has forever changed my life...". <-- Stupid shit James Lipton says/said.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-23, 09:31

Paul Dano: The Sequel:

And just the other day he was talked about being wrapped in plastic and getting headaches for the role.

This is the hype WB is going with, apparently...a solid 1-2 weeks of the Riddler actor telling everyone how much he suffered for his art.

It seems to me that an actor who was really good at his job could "get there" without the mental/emotional/phsysical torture for a silly role nobody's likely going to remember/talk about come mid-summer.

You signed on for the role...all this other stuff is your doing/choices. Lots of actors could easily "get there" without damaging themselves. That's why it's called acting. You pretend to be a psychopathic, murderous asshole. You don't have to go spend a week sleeping/showering at San Quentin.

I think the guy's just doing some preliminary Oscar-lunging and skid-greasing, and playing it up a bit for the pre-release press/hype.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-02-24, 19:52

Tonight's feature: Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-24, 21:42

That is a worthy movie right there!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-28, 15:39

BTW, the review embargo for The Batman ended at noon ET today, so you're starting to see the reviews from critic screenings seep out to some of the usual sites/outlets (I've seen the headlines of about 3-4 in the past hour). Not looking to read any of them, as I have no interest in the movie, but some of you may want to know and seek a few out before Friday/the weekend.

UPDATE (3/1/2022): I've let myself read a few (non-spoiler-based) reviews from several legit outlets/publications, and a few others (blogs or various NerdNewz.com places). No one's outright hating it, but there's no real love-fest either. Every bit of praise is qualified/buffered by some sort of following "but..." type of statement/analysis/insight.

Interesting.

Nothing I've read makes me want to see it, but it's amazing just how lock-step reviewers seem to be. I see a lot of them using the same analogies or phrasing, which has kinda jumped out at me a bit.

Apparently this Batman/Bruce Wayne is "tortured", "emo" and possibly "mentally ill". Charming. The word "dark" and all its synonyms factor in heavily, as well as variations on "it's a Se7en-ish psychological mystery thriller for our times"...I read that tortured, sounded-better-in-your-head-before-your-actually-published-it nugget about eight times.

Pattinson is getting good reviews, as is Zoe Kravitz, along with the cinematography and overall look.

The length/run-time (three hours) is a sticking point with most, with many saying "it's about 30-40 minutes too long", which I find interesting because my usual take is that many movies are about 30-40 minutes too short and never fully explain/expand on all the dopey, WTF?! stuff they throw in the pot for 90+ minutes (I'm looking at you, Star Wars sequel trilogy).

I've read "serious movie reviewer" reviews, but also nerdy hipster takes, bloggers and various sub-literate types who've somehow managed to find their way onto the Internet. It's just really interesting how similar their take - even down to wording and various phrases - they've all been.

Did WB put out some sort of Official The Batman Review Mad-Libs kit?

So, in a nutshell, I've yet to come across a full-on negative review, or a completely positive glowing, pants-wetting one either. Interesting...thoroughly right down the middle. It apparently doesn't suck, but it likely won't set anything on fire or change the landscape of comic book/superhero movies.

"It's good, and has a unique take on the character and a tone that calls to mind several great noir, crime/mystery thrillers over the decades, but..." seems to be the general template. Lots of 3.5 and "barely a 4" out of 5. I've yet to see 1- or 2-stars (as well as low-C, or D/F).

One thing that has popped up in several is "why does it even exist to begin with?!"

They go on to talk about how Affleck just revived the role a short time ago and "here we are again, with yet another actor in the cowl, and..." blah, blah.

Talk to DC/WD, pal. None of us reading your review greenlit the thing.

Hahaha...I just wrote a review of reviews, for a movie I'll never see. Oh well, it's something. With Dances with Banthas now wrapped up, I've had nothing to talk about, entertainment-wise for about three weeks...

PS - I have avoided any reviews that let it be known they'd be discussing spoilers, etc. I still have no idea what the movie is fully about (the overall plot) or anything that actually happens. Just the primary cast, a very vague, general overview, the tone, the runtime, some of the negatives/downsides, along with the stuff that works, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-03-01 at 13:48.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-07, 16:47

A big, solid $128M opening weekend for The Batman.

The story will be to see what kind of numbers it does through the week and especially next weekend.

It's either got mainstream, mass appeal "legs" or ...it doesn't. We'll know by this time next week. I'm interested to see how it plays out.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-14, 06:53

Last night I rented "Old" by M Night Shyamalan. I had seen the trailer at a theater and it stuck in my mind. Turns out it was based on a book. Interesting premise. Part mystery, part horror.

Synopsis: things get weird on a secluded resort beach.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-03-14, 10:14

I know I've said this before, but I truly think WB/DC would have so much more success if this ditched the dark-and-brooding thing and went back to the Adam West style of Batman. Screw drama just make it fun.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-14, 11:15

That!

I totally agree. All these superhero movies have gone so dark they have lost their enjoyment. I mean, we don't need bubble with BANG and POW but at least add some color back in. Humor and some antics would go a long way too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-14, 12:05

But that's what Marvel has done since about 2008, right? I don't like those things either. They don't hold up, for me. They're too breezy/quippy for the stuff supposedly taking place (interplanetary invasion, government corruption, etc.). I always disliked that tonal mismatch. When I go back and watch some of those stage (or is it "phase"?) 1-2 MCU things, I spend a bit of time in cringe mode.

I think we just need to come to the realization that perhaps comic book/superhero movies have run their course and have soared high over the mako. Time to move on and make movies about other stuff. The brooding three-point-landing thing just ain't what it used to be.

Let's face it...they're making movies/shows about characters most folks couldn't give less of a rip about. Once you field your A-team for a decade, it's hard to ask people to buy into Moon Knight or whoever-the-hell they're looking to trot out these days. You have to be a true, diehard comic fan/nerd, once you get to the other ranks/levels, and there simply aren't enough of those folks to float $200M movies (or streaming shows). I think people watch that Wandavision show, and Loki, Hawkeye and the Falcon/Winter Soldier thing because of their ties to a decade of MCU hits/successes. Most folks aren't going to tune into stuff outside that. Not at those 2008-2019 levels, anyway.

Moon Knight: "Hey, it's nothing at all like Batman...he's dressed in white!"
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-14, 15:53

So anyway, the cast of Old were interesting. Like actors you have never heard of. Maybe the main dad guy looked familiar. I wonder where they shot it?