User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Wireless Problem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wireless Problem
amc3

2008-06-20, 16:25

I recently moved and was using a new wireless router (Ativa). The router has worked on both computers for over a week. However, my powerbook g4 all of the sudden quit working. The airport strength signal in the upper right hand corner says that I am connected to the network and that I have full strength, but when I open firefox it says "Server cannot be found." I have called the Ativa help line and they have offered no help and don't have $50 for Apple support. Could someone please offer some advice on this? Anything helps.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-06-20, 16:44

Welcome to AppleNova, amc3.

Have you verified that your PowerBook is connecting specifically to your wireless network and not another nearby open network? Can you access the router itself by entering its IP address into a web browser? You can get the router's IP from the manual; it's usually something like 192.168.1.1.

If you haven't done this already, it helps to configure one's wireless router with a custom network name so you can always be sure where you're connected.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
amc3

2008-06-20, 20:46

Brad,
I've tried to access the router through the IP and that doesnt work. I am terrible with this internet configuration stuff. How do I configure a custom network and get that connected? Thanks for your help and sorry for the lack of computer knowledge here.
niniandcat

2008-07-08, 02:57

I have found many interesting articles on this site. Thanks to the admin and staff for being here. Thanks for having me here as well.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-07-08, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc3 View Post
Brad,
I've tried to access the router through the IP and that doesnt work. I am terrible with this internet configuration stuff. How do I configure a custom network and get that connected? Thanks for your help and sorry for the lack of computer knowledge here.
First thing I'd do is wire connect to the router. Then open System Preferences and see what your router IP is under Network. Select the ethernet adapter and then chose the Advanced Tab. In the new window choose the TCP/IP tab. Your routers IP will be listed there. Point your browser to that address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niniandcat View Post
I have found many interesting articles on this site. Thanks to the admin and staff for being here. Thanks for having me here as well.
Spammer in the making? Why do they always write the same meaningless crap? and bump really old dead threads? I didn't even notice the last post until now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.