Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Migration Assistant

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Migration Assistant
Kamanchi Slide

2009-07-22, 17:33

Hi

I've just bought a 20 inch intel Imac. And I'm using the Migration Assistant, the other mac is an emac.

I started it off and it got to 5 mins remaining and didnt budge for 2 hours. It was transfering about 7 gig. So I turned off both macs and now the new one wont turn on.

Have I f**ked it????
RobUSVI

2009-07-28, 10:31

Use the restore media that came with the new mac to reinstall the OS to factory defaults. The do the migration again, but this time leave it alone. It can take several hours to transfer that much data and the progress bar tends to stick.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-07-28, 11:29

Do not use migration assistant when going from a PPC machine to an Intel machine. Things get kind of screwed up. Nothing wrong with moving personal files and settings, but it is a good idea to reinstall your software to make sure that the universal versions of your applications are installed, since the PPC versions will be slower due to the need for emulation.
Fullthrottledesigns

2010-08-20, 13:24

I didn't want to start a new thread so I searched and got this.

I am moving to a new iMac from my old core 2 duo and giving the old iMac to a co-worker. What is the best way for me to transfer everything over to the new computer and restore the old iMac back to factory settings with all the applications intact?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-08-20, 13:29

If you have the original disks, do the migration assistant, fire up the new machine and make sure things look good.

Then pop in the original disks that came with the older computer, and reformat it.

If that's more work than you wan to do, the easier route is to create a new use account on the old machine, give it admin rights, then delete your user account and tell it to save to a .dmg.

Then secure erase the .dmg file it makes and you're done.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Fullthrottledesigns

2010-08-20, 13:43

If I reformat it will it keep the programs that are already on it? I have CS4 that they want to keep on the computer and the new iMac has CS5.

Last edited by Fullthrottledesigns : 2010-08-20 at 13:56.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-01-05, 14:05

If I was to run MA on a new machine from an old machine, can I just pick and choose what I want to come over (ie: iTunes, Mail, Keychain, ect) instead of doing a complete MA so they're exactly the same?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-01-05, 16:58

Pretty much.

You can expand the items you are transferring, and exclude Applications, Settings, and individual Home Folder items like Documents, Desktop, etc.

The items won't all expand at first - MA has to calculate all the sizes first, so it may take several minutes before you can do that.

For example:

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-01-05, 17:11

Awesome. I'm thinking about ordering a new MacBook of some sort and was just curious how I'd handle that.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-05-08, 17:43

New experience today! For the first time ever, I transferred from an iMac with Thunderbolt, to a brand-new MacBook Air, with Thunderbolt.

After hundreds of times for myself, friends, and of course clients, I had never ever used the Migration Assistant on a pure Thunderbolt transfer.

There were 43 GB of data transferred.

The total transfer time was 7 minutes. Yes, that is seven minutes.

I was all, "OMG WTF BBQ...... WOW."
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-05-08, 18:42

Holy shit.....
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-05-08, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Holy shit.....
Exactly.

The first "Time Remaining" that popped up said 8 minutes and it almost immediately moved to 7 minutes (and I said, "uh, yeah, RIIIIIIGHT!").

And the progress of the progress bar was moving in real time, not in the usual jerks and jolts. And it finished in 7 to 7.5 minutes, as promised.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-05-09, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I was all, "OMG WTF BBQ...... WOW."
Fuck yeah!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-12-14, 00:00

Another new experience today.... Migration Assistant under Mavericks no longer allows you to expand a Home folder to choose individual items. It's all or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Pretty much.

You can expand the items you are transferring, and exclude Applications, Settings, and individual Home Folder items like Documents, Desktop, etc.

The items won't all expand at first - MA has to calculate all the sizes first, so it may take several minutes before you can do that.

For example: