Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 66 of 69 First Previous 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-28, 21:59

Still, the difference is pushing the infrastructure cost directly to the end user. Even if that means paying extra for a level 2 charger and relying on the grid.

Personally I’m looking forward to owning an EV for my general driving. Plug-in hybrid would be better for the ability to make long trips without having to sit at a charger for a long time mid-trip though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-04-28, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The biggest drawback is the infrastructure costs are directly applied to the end user out on their farm. With gas they pay as they go and the infrastructure cost is included. To generate your own electricity comes with a high up front cost. Many who are truly rural don't likely have the funds to build some form of generation.
While it can cost a lot, it doesn’t have to when you’re talking about trickle charge levels. My son and I built a 3’ tall vertical windmill out of basically scrap parts for one of his class projects. Starting generating at about 5mph, was robust up to about 50mph (leaf blower ). Cost was under $50 including controller, and it would charge a phone in a decent breeze in about an hour. Someone with actual skills with tools would probably be able to do a lot better.

Generating enough to run a house on demand is one thing, but trickle charging batteries is another level of scalability that works cumulatively.

Quote:
That means they are directly reliant on the aged grid. They can't get a buddy to bring them a 5 gallon can of electricity when they run out.
LOL True, but I’m already seeing portable batteries for sale (pricey but leading edge, etc). For my money the best approach is a small generator. Best of both worlds… use the gas infrastructure when needed without the constant drag of the weight of an on board cogenerator.

Quote:
That being said, I do believe there is a ton of validity to your point. The bigger challenge is the lack of charger infrastructure all over like there is the number of gas stations.
Or… ICEs are bound to the existing ‘gas grid’, EVs have wider options including home charging or remote site generation.

It comes down to whether it’s better to mimic the ICE setup, or take advantage of the new opportunities.

Quote:
Plugin hybrids would be a great bridge to cross the gap to move from gas to electric. I wish my van was a plugin, but the only one that had that as an option was far from my taste or liking. All electric could work for "day to day" in my house, but road-trips would suck with the kids all stuck waiting for the vehicle to charge.

As batteries and charing improve, this will be less and less of a problem.
Indeed. What I’d love to see is a drop-in generator ‘pod’ that could be used to extend range at will from gas sources, and removed for day to day use. But… so many problems with that. Lol
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-29, 03:02

All you need to do is install the windmill ON your car and you'll never need to recharge again!

The new Tacoma's tailgate has a ridge running along the top edge that looks a LOT like what's on the new GMC Colorado.

It seems like ALL the images they're sharing will be from the new Trailhunter trim level, which will be all badass and butch for people who rarely stray off the asphalt.

I am still looking at everything, and looking at the options of moderate cargo-carrying without looking like a minivan driver

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-29, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
While it can cost a lot, it doesn’t have to when you’re talking about trickle charge levels. My son and I built a 3’ tall vertical windmill out of basically scrap parts for one of his class projects. Starting generating at about 5mph, was robust up to about 50mph (leaf blower ). Cost was under $50 including controller, and it would charge a phone in a decent breeze in about an hour. Someone with actual skills with tools would probably be able to do a lot better.

Generating enough to run a house on demand is one thing, but trickle charging batteries is another level of scalability that works cumulatively.
This is certainly the kind of price scale that anyone could realistically do to get into the "renewable" energy realm. Be it wind or solar. Decent kits with 200W generation for solar can be had for a couple of hundred. Same for basic wind generator kits. There are many though that that would take a bit of time to gather up given how tight finances are for most in today's economy. Out where I live I drive people's homes all the time that are in disrepair and if they aren't fixing their house (roofs normally) then they likely wouldn't spare the cash to get green. (There is a whole other argument about where their money is going.... but I know plenty from church/out in town who don't squander it but just don't have good paying jobs/businesses.)

Quote:
Indeed. What I’d love to see is a drop-in generator ‘pod’ that could be used to extend range at will from gas sources, and removed for day to day use. But… so many problems with that. Lol
Look no further than Tesla! I mean, you would go deaf turning on your stereo to drown out the motor... but it can be done!

Actually, I thought the early "hybrid" were actually EVs with a gas engine generator. As in, all EV with energy storage and a gas generator attached that didn't directly connect to the drivetrain at all. This would really give the best "gap vehicle" for EV/gasoline. Energy storage capacity would be lost to gas storage, but if you don't drive very far daily it wouldn't even be noticed.

Where I live we were consistently driving between 50 and 60 miles per day for our around town stuff. If we had 100 - 150 mile of battery we would be fine for just about anything. Even in a mini van the generator would be able to fit where the engine is now because the drive motors would sit closer to the wheels and not need to take up the space under the hood.

Edit: after just kinda digging around Amazon I found this "DIY turbine" that is actually perfect for a green house I'm building to be able to power some 5VDC (USB A) LEDs. I'm not really a fan of the colors, but it will be near the gardens.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-29, 17:14

It uses "Ball Beaning Condtnxtion"!!

Edit: I really wanted to power my little garden shed, but am realizing that a power bank or an extension cord might be better, as I can store them in better conditions inside the main house than in the moisture and temperature ranges that will affect the shed.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-29, 17:18

But, back to cars...

How does Toyota have SO MANY MODELS??!!!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-04-29, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
But, back to cars...

How does Toyota have SO MANY MODELS??!!!

Different spokes for different folks seem to the target. I kind of get the feeling some automakers are in a, throw it at the wall and see if it sticks, phase.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-05-02, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Youth ranch is a good idea, let it go to pasture with some folks who will get some immediate use out of it. I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Yeah, I figure I can probably get a tax donation of a few hundred dollars when it goes to auction if donated.
Found a worthy cause, donated it. Got to drive it one last time up the ramp of the truck, and wouldn’t you know it, it started up first time, even after 18 months since the last start. It went for $1500 at auction, which was more than I expected if it were to be parted out, so there’s a chance it’ll keep being used.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-02, 00:30

Oh golly. You'll never forget that thing.

Legend.

I know you'll miss it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-02, 07:18

That is awesome. My 1998 Ranger just go a new lease on life! It had this horrible shifter alignment but the shop that replaced the alternator was able to tighten everything back down and it is perfect again!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-02, 19:00

So apparently the 24 Tacoma will have an optional 6 speed manual. Wow. I guess for people who like that, they will be happy, but seriously 1894 called and wants its transmission back.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-02, 20:07

The last two teases have been a bit duddy (unless you're into manual transmissions and removable speakers).

¡Damned!

2023-05-03, 07:26

Back in my old VW days popping the clutch saved my ass so many times I'd be hard pressed not to choose the manual. Plus, nowadays it's about the best theft-deterrent there is since no one knows how to drive a stick anymore.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-03, 09:05

To me, even if it’s more fun to drive, it’s not worth the inferior fuel economy, those trucks are bad enough with the automatic. Even with a turbo 4 banger, I cannot see the Tacoma doing much better than it is now. The Chevy Colorado made that switch and the fuel economy got worse, not better.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-09, 23:35

I didn't see ANYTHING from Toyota today, which is interesting. Why stop Taco Tuesday now, with the actual unveiling coming up on the 19th? Perhaps the leaked photos of the truck sufficed for this week?

I think I like the hood change: low in the middle and raised on the sides.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-10, 14:47

Regarding to hood, that’s the trend with trucks right now I think. Toyota is drop the conservative designs, but I hope for the sake of build quality they don’t go beyond that. In some ways they don’t have much choice, the trucks have to hit emissions targets until the next big redesign.

The leaked photos from Toyota’s own site was no mistake. They knew the rumor sites would find them.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-13, 17:25

A friend has sworn to me that in his experience Toyotas were not "fun" to drive. If I end up with a trucky thing the driving experience will take back seat to functionality, but I'm still curious to know where Toyotas (generally, as a brand) fall on the driving scale. My assumption is that as affordable drivers they're pretty unremarkable on the road.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-13, 18:14

Quote:
A friend has sworn to me that in his experience Toyotas were not "fun" to drive. If I end up with a trucky thing the driving experience will take back seat to functionality, but I'm still curious to know where Toyotas (generally, as a brand) fall on the driving scale. My assumption is that as affordable drivers they're pretty unremarkable on the road.

I've driven cars from all the basic consumer brands (but only owned Honda, Toyota and now Ford). Honestly I wouldn't say one was more fun to drive than another, beyond how quickly one corners verse another. That typically had more to do with tires, vehicle size, and weight distribution more than anything else. I always hear people say how much more fun Mazda and Honda are than Toyota's, but I cannot say I find them all that different. I don't drive on race tracks like reviewers, so what do I know? Trucks drive like trucks, it is different than cars, compact/mid-size SUVs. Is it less fun? Kind of, you cannot take sharp twisty roads as quickly.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2023-05-13, 19:59

IMO, Toyotas aren’t supposed to be “fun” to drive. They’re reliable appliance vehicles that get you from “here to there” without fuss.

Last edited by tomoe : 2023-05-14 at 18:33.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-14, 15:31

Personally, I've not had any problems with the Camrys and Siennas I've driven. The Camry was a early 2000s and the Siennas were 2004 and 2022. I mean, they aren't BMWs, but they aren't bad either.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-05-17, 12:25

I think he's right. I'm still unconvinced that this "GM Dropping CarPlay" is a cynical play so they can announce a "reversal" on the previous policy and hopefully get a sales bump.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-17, 13:45

I still stand by my statement, as petty as it sounds, I won't buy another GMC truck if they drop CarPlay.

Their infotainment system that is built by Google is really nice, not going to lie, but not what I want to rely on.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-17, 15:34

The 2024 Toyota Tacoma will be officially revealed at 1:30am Eastern Time on the 19th, so that's TOMORROW NIGHT, right?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-17, 15:52

Thursday morning, no? As in 32.5 hours.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-17, 22:05

Quote:
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma will be officially revealed at 1:30am Eastern Time on the 19th, so that's TOMORROW NIGHT, right?

Are you a time traveler, cause you are skipping an entire 24 hour period.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-18, 00:30

Yes, I am a very BAD time traveler

It's 24 hours from RIGHT NOW!!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-18, 15:30

Quote:
Yes, I am a very BAD time traveler

It's 24 hours from RIGHT NOW!!

That explains a lot. All that time travel messed up your marbles.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-18, 16:59

The leaks on the Tacoma are out, looks as expected. Power as expected. No real hybrid, just the mixed power stuff like the Tundra to increase horse power. Meh.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-18, 17:48

I went and took a quick look at a few pics. I would like to watch the reveal tonight, but find no link for a live broadcast. Has anybody seen a link anywhere?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter