User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad vs. gPad
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-28, 18:33

We all know it's only a matter of time. So, what does the Google version of an iPad look like? Will it run Android or Chrome OS? Are any of you holding off on purchasing an iPad until you see how Google responds? Will Google respond at all? Seems unlikely to me, though, as this mobile media space is only going to grow over the next decade. Thoughts?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-01-28, 18:35

I wouldn't buy one. I'd expect it to run Chrome OS, though. Knowing Google it would probably focus on web apps instead of apps on the device.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-28, 18:52

I'm sure Google will make a tablet, and I'm sure it will be awesome...but isn't it a little early to have a thread about it? It's an idea. How are we supposed to know if it will be better than the iPad or whatever?

My gut is that eventually Chrome OS will be a dominant platform for netbooks and "slates," but the iPad will be more popular. I think Windows will continue to be popular for netbooks but will prove less suited to slates.
JohnnyTheA

2010-01-29, 00:15

Well, people talked about the iPad for over a year before it was released. I think Google will probably release something is less than a year. I think a more important question is:

What is so special about Chrome OS?

Or Chrome Browser for that matter. Something to do with Cloud Computing maybe? I don't get it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-29, 01:37

Moving to the right forum since this is complete speculation at this point...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-29, 07:55

Not from Google, but this looks interesting:

http://www.slashgear.com/msi-tegra-t...r-500-2871776/
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-01-29, 11:54

Oh yeah. Android tablets comin' your way. My bet is MSI, Samsung, and HTC get in the iPad knockoff boat first. Probably before Christmas.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-01-31, 13:01

You can bet that against tablet competitors, feature for feature, the iPad will not win.

Add iTunes, iBooks and the apps ecosystem and Apple again has a winner on it's hands.
That's not saying you can't do any of these things on a gPad.

I just think the seamless Apple buying experience, and software usability will be the difference.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-31, 13:05

The biggest advantages of the Android tablets will be the integration of Google apps and Flash support (when that arrives, of course). But the same can be said of the battle in the smartphone space. The iPad does have the advantage of having better productivity apps right now with iWork already written. Then again, I would expect Google Docs to play the same kind of role on Android tablets. In fact, that could be the area where Google Docs starts to gain some real traction, especially since it is free.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-01-31, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Then again, I would expect Google Docs to play the same kind of role on Android tablets. In fact, that could be the area where Google Docs starts to gain some real traction, especially since it is free.
I suppose, but only if you trust your valuable information to be in the cloud.
Wrao
Yarp

2010-01-31, 14:35

I expect competitors to make tablets that try and offer more 'computer' features than the iPad, and they will all fail as people get them and realize that tablets suck for computing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-31, 14:43

Or they'll just be the computers we already know, shoe-horned into a tablet design and called a "tablet computer".

I think Apple is smart here to strip some of that away and truly re-think how apps, navigation, file systems, etc. should work on such a product. That'll be the difference, I bet. Yes, HP and others will have their feature-packed tablets...but it'll just be like using a regular computer, and so it's more about being wrapped in some fancy new hardware, vs. anything truly new and different (and better, for the device in hand).

Tablets may very well "suck at computing", but only if we're keeping everything else (except the hardware) the same.

There will be a market for both, as always. But, chances are, only one will not be a pain-in-the-ass to own and use.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2010-03-20, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Or they'll just be the computers we already know, shoe-horned into a tablet design and called a "tablet computer". I think Apple is smart here to strip some of that away and truly re-think how apps, navigation, file systems, etc. should work on such a product. That'll be the difference, I bet.

[snip]

Tablets may very well "suck at computing", but only if we're keeping everything else (except the hardware) the same.
You're right on the mark here, Paul! The key advantage of the iPad is that its OS was designed from the ground up to be used with fingers, not a mouse, stylus, or other unnatural substitute. The iPad is not meant to be a "computer" in the traditional sense. It'll be more like a multi-media communications portal. Especially once it gets a built-in forward-facing camera!

I really liked the iPhone, but only bought one for my wife, not myself. It's OK to browse the Web in a pinch. But the iPad's larger screen will finally make Web-surfing on the couch or on the patio truly viable and comfortable. If I want to work on an Excel spreadsheet or write a big piece, I'll continue to use the iMac or my work setup (Dell subnotebook with dock and dual LCDs). But for everything else I do, which is really pretty basic, the iPad will be more than adequate. Brilliant, actually.

Plus, the iPad will be the first truly functional digital photo album. The iPhone and iPod touch are already good at this. But the iPad's larger screen will let even granny with her poor vision enjoy the latest pictures of the grandkids. Hot off the DSLR or point-and-shoot camera.

The iPad does not want to and does not need to be a full-fledged computer. That's the whole point! Any knock-offs that try to shoehorn a full computer into a notepad will not be the human-centric, ergonomic marvel that I expect the iPad to be.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.