Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Internet sharing between OSX and XP Pro Issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Internet sharing between OSX and XP Pro Issues
surjones

2011-01-17, 22:41

Hey Genius',

I have a relative in my basement who I want to have internet. I have an Linksys wireless router upstairs on the 2nd floor, and I have an older Airport Express and also an Airport Extreme. (Relative is on a PC with XP)

I took the Express and plugged it in her power bar, and connect a ethernet to back of the computer and also to the Express, but on the XP side, it's not recognizing the ethernet as plugged in.

Any thoughts to getting this to work?

thanks in advance,
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2011-01-18, 00:10

Firstly, respect for keeping your relatives with XP in the basement. Love it!

Are you sure the Express is getting a signal? No internet may show as "no ethernet connected" on XP at times.
Is the ethernet cable good?
And have you tried rebooting everything? Older Macs, Windows PCs and even Airports can be flakey when cables are plugged in and out. I had a similar problem here the other day when re-routing our network. A machine swore it did not have an ethernet cable plugged in until I rebooted it.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
surjones

2011-01-18, 00:43

Hey Scratt, thanks for replying. I did the assist me and the Dialog box said it was successful. At that point the Express lit up green.

Is my mind correct in thinking that my router up here sends signal to basement Express and send out through ethernet to PC desktop? I didn't think to reboot. I can try rebooting the PC and see if that helps.

Thanks again!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2011-01-18, 00:51

AFAIK it can. Have you had a poke around in its settings using the AirPort Utility in Application->Utilities on your Mac?

I have an Express here that will repeat a WiFi signal quite happily without being connected to anything, and I am sure I have used it with an XBox to repeat a WiFi signal and feed it out of the Ethernet port. But they are flakey in my experience.

Another thing worth trying is re-installing / updating the firmware in the Airport. Whenever mine stops working that tends to give it a kick, but also messes up the settings.

Also, generally with any network settings changes things take a while to settle down. Sometimes a change can take a few minutes to propagate. So if you think you have it right it's worth giving it a little while to settle, particularly if you change the Airport's settings.

Also check you are not in "client" mode on the Airport.

Check this faq out. It may help..
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515?viewlocale=en_US
And this..
http://alexking.org/blog/2010/01/30/...red-connection

EDIT : A quick thought... A simple test would be to take a Mac down and try to get it to work with either the wireless signal or the wired signal in the basement. If it does work then you can concentrate on the PC.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt