AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Paramount cancels Star Trek. Again.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Paramount cancels Star Trek. Again.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-02-02, 19:24

From the folks that couldn't complete the 5-year mission promise once...

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/9469.html

Quote:
Star Trek: Enterprise Cancelled!
After four seasons, Star Trek: Enterprise has reached the end of its mission ...

PRESS RELEASE

UPN and Paramount Network Television have jointly announced that this will be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN. [Production will continue until the end of this season, which will finish shooting in March.] The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005.

continues...
Except for the annoying theme song, I was starting to look forward to the stories as much as hot vulcan babes. Captain Archer was passing Janeway and Sisko to enter Picard and Kirk territory, and the pre-history of the Federation and first contact plots were stimulating sci-fi. Alas, no more.

B Jo Trimble must be busy today as the campaign to "Save Enterprise" brews

At least BSG may pick up the baton... stylish, good physics, clever, and Canadian content.
Tricia Helfer (Alberta girl) is smoking hot as a cylon blonde, and lots was filmed in Vancouver.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-02-02, 19:37

I think its finally time for a break from Trek and maybe some major overhauls in who controls the series. Its time to bring in some fresh blood with new ideas and the ability to write good stories. Im getting a little tired of borrowed scripts from previous series'.

However, it is sad to see Enterprise go. It was finally starting to show the potential for a good show that we all wish it had started off as.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-02-02, 19:50

They waited too long to really have real Star Trek references.

This season by far is the best so far, so it's a shame they're going to end it now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-02, 19:56

Oh boy....

I know the editor of a sci-fi magazine who, even in the 1980's, knew all sorts of trash about Rick Berman, the current Power Czar of the Star Trek continuum. He was all about politics, control and control. I don't know if this is still the case, but I suspect that the knowledge is widely dispersed through the ST fanbase.

I quite enjoyed a lot of the Bakula episodes and loathed the New (Pussy) Generation.... "how does that make you feel Wesley?", so I don't know if I hate Berman as much as some. But if he's been as dicky as they say.....

Anyway, it'll be back. It's popular still, and will be for another 20 years.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
SledgeHammer

2005-02-02, 20:00

I could never get into Enterprise. I watched it a couple times and I think it just bothered me too much. I would be happy to see a new series at some point, not set in the "past" it's too easy to screw with stuff that's already been established.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-02, 20:03

A while back J. Michael Straczinsky said that wants to work on the next star trek project. Of course, it probably will never happen. But man that'd be sweet if it did.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-02, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
A while back J. Michael Straczinsky said that wants to work on the next star trek project. Of course, it probably will never happen. But man that'd be sweet if it did.
OMG

*bows*

JMS ownz my s0ul. B5 rocks. Looking forward to the movie!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-02, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
the New (Pussy) Generation.... "how does that make you feel Wesley?"
HA! Brilliant!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-02, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
OMG

*bows*

JMS ownz my s0ul. B5 rocks. Looking forward to the movie!

I can't tell if you're being serious or not! Fans of Straczinsky are notorious for putting the atical in fanatical, but at the same time B5 *does* rule.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-02, 20:55

Okay I'm serious. I really love B5. Interestingly, I didn't get into it until about a year ago, when a friend pushed me into watching it. The first season was not great, and sometimes the acting is kinda crappy, but overall it was an awesome series. I have seasons 2-5 on DVD, as well as the set of TV movies they made during the later seasons.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-02, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Okay I'm serious. I really love B5. Interestingly, I didn't get into it until about a year ago, when a friend pushed me into watching it. The first season was not great, and sometimes the acting is kinda crappy, but overall it was an awesome series. I have seasons 2-5 on DVD, as well as the set of TV movies they made during the later seasons.
Yeah, I recently got Season 1 on DVD(I watched the whole series when it was first broadcast), and intend to get them all eventually. While the first season has its problems, it's still very entertaining. In fact, I think I'l going to watch an episode or 2 now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-02, 21:22

Any serious Trekkers in here? I'm curious what the rumored next phase of Start Trek is to be tackled. I suspect that we're close to moving into the territory of a total re-do of Jim Kirk, ala "Smallville". That's what I would do if I were a big time Hollywood producer.

Captain Drew on Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-02, 21:35

Enterprise was pants... Deep Space Nine was tosh.... What was the other crappy one? Voyager!! HAHAHAHA! They were all shit and it all came down to Rodenberry having popped his clogs. May he rest in peace. He was a good guy.

Janeaway actually grew on me and was OK in her cameo in one of the movies, was that right... I am sure I saw her in something other than Voyager...

You see I have watched all of them. I have given them all a chance. I do love Star Trek... I actually own all of the original series and most of the Next Gen!!! Sad, but true and I am proud of that fact!

Star Trek Next Generation and the Original series were fantastic. I grew up on the latter.

Picard was almost as good a captain as Kirk. And Data was pure genius.
Their relationship was a prefect parody of the Kirk / Spock relationships.
Reiker.. Well there always have to be some crappy character!!
The Borg and Q really gave Next Generation some cool new baddies.
All in all a worthy new generation version, even with the innevitable rehash of stories. There was still enough originality and contemporary updates to make it a good yarn and enable you to develope some identitiy with the series.

Wesley Crusher shuould have been killed off. I would pay to see that episode if it could ever be made! A horrible death would be great! But that was my only realy beef with Next Gen. So much so I boycotted the series with him in, and which seemed to focus on his character too damn much!

The rest of the abortions were controlled by people who were simply cashing in on the franchise.

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

I would rather watch re-runs than re-hashes 'cos they have no decent new story ideas! At least I could identify and enjoy the quirks of the actors I have grown up with rather than the series with that 'a-bit-gay-star-from-that-time-travel-load-of-crap, who-rings-his-hand-over-every-decision-he-makes!!'. Jesus.

Enterprise was the worst of the worst and I gave it the shortest trial I am afraid.. Some of the stuff you guys were mentioning was in the later episodes above have peaked my interest... But to be honest I thought it was so crap I couldn't bear to watch it more than a few times. It's a shame because I loved the idea of it when I first heard it was coming out.

That Captain was just such a puff! Bummer!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-02, 21:41

Quote:
Any serious Trekkers in here?
*raises hand*

Quote:
I suspect that we're close to moving into the territory of a total re-do of Jim Kirk, ala "Smallville". That's what I would do if I were a big time Hollywood producer.
This is actually what was originally supposed to be the 6th Trek movie instead of The Undiscovered Country (which, incidentally, was the original name for The Wrath of Khan). It was going to be a movie with a new cast (obviously) that showed how Kirk and Spock met in their younger years. Thankfully, it was shot down.

I honestly think Trek needs to be put aside for another 20 years if not for good. Voyager was stretching it and Enterprise was painful from that moment I heard that opening song. The Rick Berman empire needs to just die (along with the person). The Trek line needs some new blood with some original ideas and I just don't think Paramount is smart enough right now to pull in the necessary talent.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-02, 21:56

I agree with you Brad.

I have to admit that when the Enterprise gets a battering in either the first series, any of the first handful of movies or in Next Gen I get a lump in my throat. It's like the Enterprise is a character herself, whichever revision she is.

When Kirk screams "Khan" from inside the rock in Wrath of Khan, and you're not quite sure what's going to happen next.. But you know there will be a plan..

And then Spock says 'By the Book Captain" you think... He He.. here we go!

Or when Kirk realises that Spock is not in his seat when they have escaped the Nebula.. Oh my God. Leave the room 'cos I am about to cry, man!!

Or when Kirk puts his glasses on because he can't read a display properly on the bridge 'cos he's getting older...

Or when Picard is captured by the Borg...

These are all moments which give you a rush, make you sad, and heck I have a real problem keeping dry eyes any time I watch Spock in the reactor.

Those movies / and episodes were stunning. I can understand how if you are not a trekky they might not move you, but to me they are great.

Somehow the later stories just didn't carry that for me.

Star Trek I was just a joy, beacuse it meant that Star Trek was coming back. The movie itself actually gets better. It was a bit of a let down when I first watched it.. But I actually think I was too young to enjoy that at the time!

Star Trek II - Wrath of Khan and Star Trek 6 - The Undiscovered Country were just awesome movies...

I read Shatners book about the later movies. The one he directed and all the in-fighting can be seen almost in stages in the movie as it starts so brilliantly and decitegrates from their on in...

For the Next Gen..
Nemesis was allright.. Not bad...

And it all starts to get weaker as you move on from there...

Time to give it a rest.

I personally would like to see the story of Kirk a'la Smallville.. But I know it just wouldn't be done right and I'd hate the snotty actor they got to play him. Please not Wesley!!! So I have to agree with Brad that I don't want to see that any time soon.

Although if the stalker girl from smallville was in it... You know the one who turns up at Clarks house every 10 seconds and just doesn't get the message!! Then I might watch it!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
SledgeHammer

2005-02-02, 21:58

What I would be happy with right now is all of TNG on DVD. Unfortunately, that is a prohibitively expensive purchase. Some day I will have all 7 seasons. TNG is far and away my favorite of the shows. I enjoy the original series but have seen very little of it. I love the movies though. And serious TrekkieS (erhrm)? Yeah, guilty. I used to have an entire bookshelf devoted to Star Trek. And remember that collectible card game, a la Magic the Gathering? Yeah, I must have had 400 cards. At least. I know it doesn't beat some people's entire room devoted to Star Trek, but hey. I was young. I still have all of the stuff somewhere, it's just not organized any more, now that I've pretty much moved out of my house. Anyway, now that I've rambled for a bit. I am not sorry to see Enterprise go (like I said, I never really watched it, but I wouldn't mind something fresh in the future. We shall see. Maybe some more movies? I don't know, they pretty much signed off the TNG crew with Nemesis (and it really felt like saying goodbye to old friends), but maybe something else is in store. Alright, now that I've rambled some more, I'll actually stop. For now.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-02, 22:03

nuts, I was hoping the babylon 5 derailment would continue
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-02, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
And remember that collectible card game, a la Magic the Gathering? Yeah, I must have had 400 cards.
Pfft. Years ago, shortly after Magic came out, I had about that many Star Trek TNG Customizable Card Game cards, including some rare limited ones of the USS Enterprise, artifacts, and most of the bridge crew. OMG I was such a geek.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SledgeHammer

2005-02-02, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I have to admit that when the Enterprise gets a battering in either the first series, any of the first handful of movies or in Next Gen I get a lump in my throat. It's like the Enterprise is a character herself, whichever revision she is...Or when Kirk realises that Spock is not in his seat when they have escaped the Nebula.. Oh my God. Leave the room 'cos I am about to cry, man!!
When Kirk sees Spock's empty chair; when the Enterprise goes down over the Genesis Planet, when The Enterprise D bites it in Generations. All those moments get me. Hell, Generations wasn't even a very good movie...doesn't matter. And damn it if I don't tear up every time I see them break out that bottle of Chateau Picard at the end of Nemesis.
SledgeHammer

2005-02-02, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Pfft. Years ago, shortly after Magic came out, I had about that many Star Trek TNG Customizable Card Game cards, including some rare limited ones of the USS Enterprise, artifacts, and most of the bridge crew. OMG I was such a geek.
I least I wasn't the only one. :-D Actually, my friends and I used to play and trade those cards at recess in elementary school. I think I have a Scotty signed by James Doohan, somewhere.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-02, 22:21

I want a Mac Plus signed by James Doohan!
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-02-02, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Enterprise was pants... Deep Space Nine was tosh.... What was the other crappy one? Voyager!! HAHAHAHA! They were all shit ...
I thought that Voyager was the best (next to TNG of course). It by far had the most solid cast. Good storylines too! Enterprise had potential though... it's sad to see it go. But my opinion is that they need to wait a while before re-launching the star trek series. I mean, just give everyone some breathing room. Once all the good sci-fi shows go caput, then it'll be the perfect opportunity to release a new series. But it would definitely need to be an amazing show, since well.. star trek hasn't had a good few years. I'm going to be optimistic. Star Trek has always been the dark horse of television!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-02, 23:01

I must be the lone fan of Enterprise in here. Yes, the theme song is crap and is probably an amalgam of a mix tape found rattling around in the floorboard of Rick Berman's Hummer. My only problem with the show is how they didn't stay true to the idea that the technology of this time preceeds that of the original show. Sure, we don't want to see day-glo sets and mini-skirts, but the show could have been so much more raw and gripping. The hardship and tight adventure could have been every bit as exciting as any episode of 24.... whatever, it's cancelled now. Let's see the Vulcan in a thong bikini while there's still time!

And my apologies to Starfleet X for forgetting he's around!

Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-02, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack
I thought that Voyager was the best (next to TNG of course). It by far had the most solid cast. Good storylines too!
Wow. Just... wow.

Voyager was the most formulaic of the Star Trek shows.

Voyager encounters race X. The crew either engages in battle/negotiation or Janeway babbles on about the importance of prime directive and then breaks it anyway. On occasion, the Voyager crew gets to fix a technobabble problem. Voyager continues on its flight home.

The cast (or at least the characters) was pretty hollow and predictable, too.

.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-02-02, 23:05

I guess I'm the only one who thought voyager was good... But that's ok, everyone has different tastes! One I really wish would've been more developed was DS9. We really never got to see much of it since it came on late at night, and it was just so... wierd. It was like they never could make up their mind about that series, but that might just be me, I dunno. Truly Star Trek did bring a lot to the table, it really was a revolutionary show, I'd really hate to see it go forever.

EDIT: about enterprise. I had a hard time being a hardcore fan of the series, especially after what came before it. It just took some getting used to the primitiveness of the series compared to the other series y'know?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-02, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack
One I really wish would've been more developed was DS9. We really never got to see much of it since it came on late at night, and it was just so... wierd. It was like they never could make up their mind about that series, but that might just be me, I dunno.
Man, you must have totally missed the last three seasons and the whole Dominion War then. The lead characters got more and more developed (with some really dramatic work by Brooks at times) and the ups and downs of the war were pretty fun to follow, especially with the occasional cliffhangers.

Of course, the latter years of DS9 were much less episodic than the other series and you'd really have to see most of it to "get" some episodes.

OMG... am I having another Star Trek debate?? That's it! I'm OUT!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-02, 23:15

Well if you've ever seen a series like StarCops then you realize how there's tremendous adventure even in a "primitive" series. My feeling is that Enterprise wasn't primitive enough. I thought that the series should've been more like a running version of a submarine adventure... cramped quarters, broken systems, tight scrapes. Sometimes they did it, sometimes they didn't. Scott Bakula didn't bother me too much... every ships captain since Kirk has been a pussy or a chatty cathy. That includes your precious Picard gentlemen.

When the touch-feely contingent of the Star Trek congress is in charge you get a lot of talky shows and not a lot of camaraderie and hardship and true heart.

My third favorite series was Voyager, my second Enterprise, my first of course the original. The best movie will ALWAYS be Wrath of Khan. I've partied with Klingon Commanders and bought drinks for Starfleet Captains. Nice folks all.

Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-02, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Man, you must have totally missed the last three seasons and the whole Dominion War then. The lead characters got more and more developed (with some really dramatic work by Brooks at times) and the ups and downs of the war were pretty fun to follow, especially with the occasional cliffhangers.

Of course, the latter years of DS9 were much less episodic than the other series and you'd really have to see most of it to "get" some episodes.

OMG... am I having another Star Trek debate?? That's it! I'm OUT!
Weren't you StarFleet or some such at some point...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-02, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Weren't you StarFleet or some such at some point...
*swings admin stick*

Why I oughtta...!!

*misses by a mile*

Actually, contrary to popular belief, the name actually had more to do with this Star Fleet than Star Trek, thus this gallery.

ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-03, 01:13

Star Trek wasn't really that funny....

if the new version were an hilarious spin-off of Mama's Family and could somehow include hot guys - not the Mama's Family cast - who also hot-oil wrestled plus full frontal nudity softcore cable porn-esqueily , i'd watch it

this new star trek has to be much bett'r than voyager... i mean come on that show had no gay sex and a dearth of straight sex.... i mean captain janeway wasn't exactly the type to allow that stuff and seven of nine was hot but she was too uptight to cop a feel from....