Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Bin Laden offers Truce

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bin Laden offers Truce
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-19, 10:37

Interesting story, if it is true. Der Spiegel (German magazine) just published a story that a new Bin Laden tape has appeared where he announces new attacks on the US, but at the same time offers a truce in order to rebuild Afghanistan and Iraq. Interestingly, the CNN story fails to mention the truce.

fixed the title - Brad

Last edited by Brad : 2006-01-19 at 11:49. Reason: Changed "ceasefire" to "truce", since it's more fitting. Can't change the thread title, though.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-19, 11:37

Not surprisingly, CNN has updated their story, and they mention the truce towards the end. But it was interesting to see how Der Spiegel used that as the headline from the beginning, while CNN is still only talking about it at the very end of the story. To me, this is the much more interesting news (like he wouldn't be threatening the US), even though it's not going to lead anywhere.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-19, 11:46

Could be they just wanted to verify it, CNN doesn't take to many stances, my guess is they just want to get it right. Keep checking the story from them and I'd reckon it'll flesh out a little more.

But when he claims more terror attacks are on the way and specifies the U.S. as being targets you can bet your ass an american news outlet will put that above the fold, so to speak. as opposed to how european press would approach it.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-01-19, 11:50

I think if a terrorist announced his intentions to attack any country, even after a designated time of truce, the country's press would make it a point to let the citizens know they're a target.

I guess what I'm saying is that a threat is a little bit of bigger news.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-19, 11:51

Maybe the European press would put it above the fold too if it was their butts being threatened? I'm genuinely surprised it's been as quiet and uneventful in the States since 9-11-2001. I fear that won't always be the case, however...

All the things we see and hear about happening "somewhere else"...going to be quite a thing if/when it started to occur here (cafes and clubs blown up, people blown up while simply waiting on their bus, random suicide bombers plying their trade at multiplexes or Starbucks on a crowded Friday night, etc.).

That's not an exactly "far out", impossible-to-imagine notion.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-19, 12:01

What I meant to say was this: It's not a secret that bin Laden and al Quaida are threatening the US. It's not exactly surprising that when bin Laden sends a tape to al-Jazira, it contains threatening language. What is surprising is that he's talking about a truce.

SKMDC

2006-01-19, 12:08

Well just in his neighborhood!

thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2006-01-19, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
What I meant to say was this: It's not a secret that bin Laden and al Quaida are threatening the US. It's not exactly surprising that when bin Laden sends a tape to al-Jazira, it contains threatening language. What is surprising is that he's talking about a truce.
it hardly sounds genuine. on the cnn article it mentions that there are plans forming to attack american soil, and a paragraph down it mentions that they want us to stop fighting in the mideast. its not really a truce, its more like "hey, can you stand still while i kick you in the nads? kthxbye"

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-19, 12:10

How long until we hear political spiel about how this means he's on the defensive and that now's the perfect time to strike?

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-19, 12:17

them turra-wrists is SKEERED!

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-19, 12:28

*ahem*

or we could not do that.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-01-19, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
How long until we hear political spiel about how this means he's on the defensive and that now's the perfect time to strike?
Obviously, it's all a game. We have to play our game, Bin Bitchhole has to play his.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-19, 12:51

Do we know it's even OBL on the tape?
The post-9-11 video sure didn't seem like him, despite claims by the chickenhawks.

SKMDC

2006-01-19, 13:33

See this the funny thing about translations and reporting of such.

Some outlets are saying it's an either/or thing, others are reporting that it calls for a truce in Iraq & Afghanistan but still plans more U.S. terror.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-19, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
...its not really a truce, its more like "hey, can you stand still while i kick you in the nads? kthxbye"

My thoughts exactly.

Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-19, 14:29

Bin who?

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-01-19, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Bin who?
Saddama Binsane

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-19, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Bin who?
My thoughts exactly. I thought this war on terra was all about taking out Saddam!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-01-19, 14:33

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I thought this war on terra was all about taking out Saddam!
What would give you that idea? We already took out Saddam. Just because it's not on the news every 25 seconds doesn't mean that the Govt. isn't on a 24/7 man-hunt for that bastard.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-01-19, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
What would give you that idea?
Definitely not the Bush administration!

Foj
Veteran Member

2006-01-19, 15:08

Quote:
Hey, relax. have a seat.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-19, 15:20

Well,

1. who in their right mind would take this guy at his word?
2. "Is this really him?" is a legit question considering how long he's been uncharacteristically incommunicado.
3. Would he, smart as he is, think that he could call a truce in the mid-east and still threaten the US? I mean, I think the common sense translation got botched up.
4. Yes, the US gov't mouthpieces will do its usual OBL/deflection/scare tactic song and dance in any case and not get any closer to actually capturing or killing him, nor really pu in a good effort to do so.

You'll have to excuse me though if, at the end of the day, I don't take any talk of a truce seriously nor do I find the idea compelling in any case. Hope he roasts with the pigs some day.

eventhorizon

2006-01-19, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
What would give you that idea? We already took out Saddam. Just because it's not on the news every 25 seconds doesn't mean that the Govt. isn't on a 24/7 man-hunt for that bastard.
But Saddam was the mastermind of all things terror! Capturing him was supposed to fix everything! There is no one but him! *covers ears and starts choking on a pretzel*

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-19, 15:31

I don't understand why he can't threaten and make an offer of a truce in one message. He says that his operatives are preparing attacks, BUT that he's prepared to talk, too. That's the way such offers work in many other cases as well, like when a major superpower is threatening an airstrike against a country.

Of course this isn't going to lead anywhere, but it's interesting. And it's too bad that there really is no option here other than force.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-01-19, 15:34

Quote:

'Terra', that's got to be southeastern New England (Mass and RI).

I though Bush said 'Trrr'?

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-19, 15:34

Exactly. It's not going to go anywhere and the political mire is already being stirred up. Let's leave sleeping dogs lie.