Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Should I buy iSight now or wait.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Should I buy iSight now or wait.
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2006-07-17, 21:44

I paln to buy iSight but not sure if I should buy or wait. I gather that it has not been updated for quite a time.

I can wait couple of months more. But I don't know if it is going to be updated. What your idea is?

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB

Last edited by naashraf : 2006-07-17 at 22:12.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-17, 22:05

You should wait. The next version of the iSight is rumored to have transporter technology. Why do you think we have the Star Trek up in AO?
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-07-18, 00:43

I had a sneaky suspicion that a while back Apple would add Photobooth software to the iSight. I, however, decided not to wait. I bought my iSight 6 months ago and I love it.

I suggest you do the same. I can't see them updating the iSight. If they do, I don't see it being a huge upgrade. No one really knows.

Buy it. You know you want to

Deal with it.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-07-18, 01:04

The only reason it would be worth waiting to buy an iSight was if you were planning on buying a Mac with an iSight builtin soon.

I sincerely doubt they'll put any new dev into the standalone iSights... they want people to buy the new Macs. Webcam hardware hasn't changed much at all in years, and the software... well, that's where the new Mac thing comes in.
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2006-07-18, 01:35

OK. I guess the longest I would wait is August 7. I highly doubt that they will update it on Aug 7 though. Aug 7 does not seem that far

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-07-18, 01:40

I managed to buy one here in the UK about a week before they were pulled from the shelves. We cannot get them online anymore either - it was something to do with some 'substances' that are not allowed in EU products...

Quote:
Apple will stop selling Airport Base Stations, eMacs and iSight cameras in Europe after June 30, reports claim.

According to reports, the company contacted channel partners this morning to confirm plans to withdraw these products.

If the sources are correct, the cessation of sales of the three products is to ensure that the company complies with new European Union environmental regulation - the Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2005 (RoHS).

These new regulations come into force on July 1, and are designed to minimise the impacts of electrical and electronic equipment on the environment during their life times and when they become waste.

Among other statutes, the new laws will limit or prevent the sale of CRT-based technologies, such as the eMac, some claim. The move lends some weight to a recent Apple Insider report that claimed a new eMac featuring an LCD screen to be in development.

Producers must be able to demonstrate compliance by submitting technical or other information to the enforcing authority on request. They must retain such documentation for four years. In the UK, the Secretary of State has the duty of enforcing RoHS Regulations. The enforcement powers include a power to serve a compliance notice and make test purchases. Any person who fails to comply with the requirements of the Regulations will be guilty of an offence.

Apple is not the only manufacturer to be affected by the new laws. Other electronic good makers are expected to make similar announcements and remove certain products from their range in the coming weeks.

It’s believed manufacturers of electrical devices will also have to establish systems to safely dispose of legacy products as they reach the end of their useful life, but no more is known on this at this time.
I seriously doubt the will update them because they will be in all new Apple products (maybe the MacMini one day - you never know), I also doubt they will be returning to the UK either - like the above poster said, they already make EU compliant ones built in now so why would they bother...?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-07-18, 02:04

I'd just wait until WWDC, just to see what happens. The chance of the iPod getting updated is pretty small, but it could always get a price cut or something. With the entire Mac lineup getting built-in iSights, I wouldn't be too surprised to see that happen.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-18, 12:45

Hmm...the only thing I can see happening to the iSight is a price drop (to $99, which is probably where it should have been two years ago).

I think the next Cinema Displays will have one built-in.

That said, the stand-alone iSight totally owns the built-in ones. It has this miniature built-in lens cover. It's so awesome.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong