User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Time machine trash

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time machine trash
macmac

2006-08-08, 11:51

Will there just be another option when emptying the trash to dump something out of time machine? It's a cool backup app but there are still some things I want to be gone forever when I trash them.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-08-08, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Will there just be another option when emptying the trash to dump something out of time machine? It's a cool backup app but there are still some things I want to be gone forever when I trash them.
maybe go in time machine and delete it there... who knows
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-08, 12:31

Or specify up front that Time Machine shouldn't hang onto that file, ala Spotlight's exclusion. (And yes, they said that was possible.)
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-08-08, 13:07

Maybe Apple could make this happen if you secure-deleted a file. I'd also like secure-delete to be disconnected from file vault as I'd like to be able to use secure delete without having to enable file vault.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-08, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Maybe Apple could make this happen if you secure-deleted a file. I'd also like secure-delete to be disconnected from file vault as I'd like to be able to use secure delete without having to enable file vault.
Haven't you always been able to do that? I know I don't have to turn on file vault to secure delete something.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-08-08, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Haven't you always been able to do that? I know I don't have to turn on file vault to secure delete something.
Maybe I'm missing how to do that or I've screwed up my install somehow. When I empty my trash, there's no secure delete option and I don't have a secure delete option before dumping something to the trash.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-08-08, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Maybe I'm missing how to do that or I've screwed up my install somehow. When I empty my trash, there's no secure delete option and I don't have a secure delete option before dumping something to the trash.
Empty the trash from the file menu in the finder. Secure trash is an option there.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2006-08-08, 14:34

I'm hoping there'll be a "Delete Across Time-Space Continuum" option.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-08-08, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Empty the trash from the file menu in the finder. Secure trash is an option there.
You are correct sir!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-08-08, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes
I'm hoping there'll be a "Delete Across Time-Space Continuum" option.
I think that's CTRL-ALT-Hawking
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-08, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
I think that's CTRL-ALT-Hawking
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-08, 20:12

That's great.

But yeah, I was wondering this too. I'm sure those smart time traveling Apple people already saw this thread in the future and have addressed our concern in the past... or something like that.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2006-08-08, 22:00

what has me wondering tho is how exactly does it back everything up? wouldnt backing up EVERYTHING take up a ton of space? like, i go thru podcasts a lot, but i have no need to save them after i listen to them. will time machine be keeping these files around wasting space when i will never want them back?

Last edited by ThunderPoit : 2006-08-08 at 22:05.
rasmits
rams it

2006-08-08, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
what has me wondering tho is how exactly does it back everything up? wouldnt backing up EVERYTHING take up a ton of space? like, i go thru podcasts a lot, but i have no need to save them after i listen to them. will time machine be keeping these files around wasting space when i will never want them back?
This confuses me too. I don't know many people that even have external drives, let alone 2 Terabyte ones.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-08, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
It seems that there's a way to tell it not to backup certain items. I think Kickaha posted something about it somewhere.

Indeed, it's in the 3rd post in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Or specify up front that Time Machine shouldn't hang onto that file, ala Spotlight's exclusion. (And yes, they said that was possible.)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-08, 22:14

Yep, there's exclusions.

Presumably, Time Machine involves binary diffs and compression, so it's probably not as space-consuming as you may think.
irnchriz

2006-08-09, 18:39

Time machine looks pretty good. It appears to work like an advanced version of shadow copy on windoze server (with an intuitive interface)tho?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-09, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Presumably, Time Machine involves binary diffs and compression
It would be about friggin' time Apple started using binary diffs for something.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-09, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It would be about friggin' time Apple started using binary diffs for something.
Okay, I'll byte. What the hell are binary diffs?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-08-09, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
I don't know many people that even have external drives, let alone 2 Terabyte ones.
I was wondering wondering how this is going to work too. If I have 1TB of storage in my Mac Pro then will I have to have a 1TB or more of external hard drive space to backup with time machine? Anybody have any ideas as to how this will work? Thanks in advance!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-09, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Okay, I'll byte. What the hell are binary diffs?
Say you have file a containing:
Code:
123 abc
And a newer file b containing:
Code:
123 abc ZYX
The diff of the files would basically say "add a new line containing ZYX after line 2". Using diffs is a very efficient ways of determining file content changes. Imagine, now, that file a is a million lines long and file b only has one line different. The diff would just say to change that one line.

The reason for my crass comment is that Apple has been putting whole copies of files in the packages in Software Update rather than potentially much smaller diffs of the files, even though (IIRC) it has claimed to have the ability to use diffs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-08-09, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Say you have file a containing:
Code:
123 abc
And a newer file b containing:
Code:
123 abc ZYX
The diff of the files would basically say "add a new line containing ZYX after line 2". Using diffs is a very efficient ways of determining file content changes. Imagine, now, that file a is a million lines long and file b only has one line different. The diff would just say to change that one line.

The reason for my crass comment is that Apple has been putting whole copies of files in the packages in Software Update rather than potentially much smaller diffs of the files, even though (IIRC) it has claimed to have the ability to use diffs.
What would explain Apple's actions? Laziness?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-09, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Laziness?
Basically.

Or Apple hasn't sufficiently tested it and is afraid to unleash it on us, potentially crippling Macs the world over. Diffs may be much smaller, but sending whole files is much safer.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.