Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
E3 2011
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-03, 13:27

Next week isn't just WWDC — it's also E3, the greatest (gaming) show on earth. We'll see Wii 2 details from Nintendo and NGP details from Sony, and that's just what has been announced. But of course, the news cycle starts before the event does in earnest, as companies try to beat the onslaught by hosting pre-events. Here's what we know slash I feel like posting so far:

The new Uncharted game on the NGP is called Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It is an original game (not a remake!) that takes place before Drake's Fortune. It's being developed by Sony Bend, right here in Oregon. Naughty Dog is overseeing development, just as Insomniac did for Bend's well-received Resistance: Retribution.

Also, Sony announced a collector's edition of Uncharted 3 that includes Drake's Deception, Drake's belt buckle, Drake's necklace thing, and a statue of...Nathan Drake. All in a steelcase box, and all for the low low price of $99! Uncharted 3 hits 11/1/11. Pictures!

Also, Konami is releasing a trilogy pack of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker in HD for the PS3. They're also re-releasing HD two-packs of Silent Hill 2 and 3 and both Zone of the Enders games (!!!).

Also, Level-5 has trademarked Professor Layton and the Last Specter in North America, seemingly confirming that the fourth Layton mystery will come to the US (the fifth, for the 3DS, is already out in Japan, so).

Also, I can't start a paragraph without "Also."

Also, Microsoft's and Sony's press events will be on Monday, and Nintendo's is on Tuesday, so there will be way way way more news to come!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-03, 15:00

Nikkei is now confirming that the Wii 2 will have a 6" touchscreen controller.

So it's pretty much official.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-03, 15:44

Robo I've been meaning to ask you this: is the next Nintendo system going to have decent graphics/HD video/a controller I work with my thumbs and not my wrists? I just want my Mario and Zelda games as, ya know, normal video games and I'm sick of this Wii bullshit. Kids. Lawn. Off. That kind of thing.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-06-03 at 15:57.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-03, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Robo I've been meaning to ask you this: is the next Nintendo system going to have decent graphics/HD video/a controller I work with my thumbs and not my wrists? I just want my Mario and Zelda games as, ya know, normal video games and I'm sick of this Wii bullshit. Kids. Lawn. Off. That kind of thing.
My best guess is this:

The new controller will be a very low-end (low-res, resistive) game tablet. Everybody making mockups of like a Gamecube controller with a little touchscreen in the middle are way off, in scale if nothing else; the size of the screen will necessitate a flatter, squarer controller (think something that "matches" the current Wii Remote). It will have a d-pad on one side and ABXY buttons on the other, but probably no analog sticks. This "Wii Pad" will be both a controller for the Wii and a stand-alone device that will play games exclusively from Nintendo's eShop. It will form the lowest-end prong of Nintendo's hardware portfolio. The Wii 2 will come with one, and additional Wii Pads will probably cost about $129, making them much cheaper than the 3DS or NGP.

I say "new controller" because I think the Wii 2 will still use the Wii Remote for some games, especially multiplayer-focused titles, where requiring players to own four Wii Pads would be prohibitively expensive. Current Wii Remotes will work, as long as they're Wii Remote Plus models or have a MotionPlus attachment, which will become standard for Wii 2 games.

Basically, the Wii Pad will be a new attention-getting feature to keep the Wii 2 from being "just" as Wii HD, since apparently every Nintendo console has to have a revolutionary controller now; also, it will (as a stand-alone device) help them in the fight against Apple in mobile gaming. It will be a new control option, sort of like the Balance Board was, although it should be supported by many more games.

The Wii 2 will be HD, though. It won't use blue-laser discs, and it probably still won't play DVDs, but it'll have Netflix and maybe a video store.

Pricing won't be announced at E3, but I don't believe the rumors that the Wii 2 will cost $400+ or whatever. It will probably be ~$299 upon launch next year.

Just my guesses. I'll probably look totally wrong on Tuesday, but hey

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-03, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Just my guesses. I'll probably look totally wrong on Tuesday, but hey
Your guesses are better than mine. So what you're staying is that I'm still going to have to swing my arms around to play a modern Zelda game? I enjoyed Twilight Princess and all but unlike OoT and MM I had no desire to replay them ad nauseam because I felt like an idiot shaking the Wiimote every time I needed to kill a Stalfos

I should have just bought it for GameCube... I miss my GameCube... It was purple and everything! I mean I get that Nintendo is making buckets of money with this whole casual gaming trend, but it really sucks for all the longtime Zelda fans, among others.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-06-03 at 21:04.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-06, 08:21

The NGP will apparently be called the "PSVITA," which is a stupid fucking name.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-06, 10:09

An Xbox.com leak has confirmed Halo 4, Dance Central 2, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and a "cinematic, action-packed Kinect experience" called Ryse. via Engadget
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-06-06, 20:29

Wow, the Star Wars: The Old Republic intro cinematic is bad ass. Get's me very excited to build a rig and get into MMORPGs, but I also hope that TOR has a strong story line (like promised).

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-06, 20:52

The PlayStation Vita will cost $249 for the WiFi model and $299 for the AT&T 3G model.

That's pretty crazy, since that's, you know, the same price as the 3DS.

Available this holiday season worldwide.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-06-06, 21:15

What? Sony is doing something right with price with its first attempt? That's a compelling price point if it's as good as it looked back when they first showed it. Of course, the games are going to cost $50-60. I'll stick with my iPhone but at least they're bringing it on price.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-06, 22:18

Sony followed-up last year's PlayStation-branded soundbar by introducing a PlayStation-branded 3DTV and PlayStation-branded 3D glasses in a bid to lower the cost of entry to their "3D world." The TV is a 24-inch, LED edge-lit, 1080p active 3D screen with integrated subwoofer and will be available in a bundle with one pair of glasses, Resistance 3, and an HDMI cable for just $499. The glasses themselves will cost just $69 and will work with TVs of several brands, not just Bravias.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-06-06, 22:58

Does it come with a PS3 to play that copy of Resistance 3(D)?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-06, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Does it come with a PS3 to play that copy of Resistance 3(D)?
Nope. (That would be super crazy!)
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-07, 09:47

Watching yesterday's Ubi conference. Just saw RockSmith, sounds great. It's like rockband but without buying a 300$ guitar, you can use your own. Looking forward to see how well it works.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-07, 11:07

Nintendo conference is starting right now. They're showing a Zelda reel with music played by an orchestra... kind of awesome
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-07, 12:15

So it's Wii U. Looks like a psp with a dpad, 2 joystick, 4 buttons and 4 triggers, camera, mic, and a touchscreen. It streams video from the Wii U so you can play your game without using the TV. There's a lot of things that were shown like using it to aim, pointing at the game in the TV, display UI, etc.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-06-07, 12:18

Wii U gameplay/controller video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z98ASI_TlOQ
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-07, 12:32

It's almost on par with PS3 and 360 on the graphic side... Without being better for sure. Not with all the new games that were presented at the E3. I was hoping for better... Again, they'll get crushed when other launch their new consoles.

On the positive side. They showed a lot of games franchise actually on the other consoles. Like Dirt, Ghost Recon, Teken, Assassin's Creed, Ninga Gaiden...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-07, 13:05

Wii U! Controller looks like a squared-off tablet, can play games independently of the console...it does have analog sticks, though.

I like the Wii U name and logo.

Day one purchase! 2012...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-06-07, 13:12

Sorry Robo, but that just seems ridiculous. Nintendo is nuts.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-06-07, 13:54

Ha ha ha, everyone said they were nuts with the Wii as well. Then they sold a billion units. I for one am willing to see how it all actually works before writing them off. They do seem to take "leisurely" gamers into account better than MS and Sony, which to be frank is where I'm at these days.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-06-07, 13:58

I'd like to see the price point they're planning to sell that at before we write them off. The Wii sold in bucketloads partially because it was cheap. That thing looks...expensive.

But then Apple sell the iPhone for $199, and it looks expensive too. I guess we'll see.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-06-07, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Ha ha ha, everyone said they were nuts with the Wii as well. Then they sold a billion units. I for one am willing to see how it all actually works before writing them off. They do seem to take "leisurely" gamers into account better than MS and Sony, which to be frank is where I'm at these days.
I think that leisure games are moving to where people are - namely, in mobile. The Wii sold big time because it was leisure and cheap. Now, with mobile, the Wii isn't cheap any more. Nor is it quite so leisurely. It's a big pain the ass to have to deal with that sensor, make sure batteries are charged and switch the inputs on your TV.

I've gotten more playing time on a $.99 game like Tiny Wings than I did in Zelda or Wii Sports and it was 2% of the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'd like to see the price point they're planning to sell that at before we write them off. The Wii sold in bucketloads partially because it was cheap. That thing looks...expensive.

But then Apple sell the iPhone for $199, and it looks expensive too. I guess we'll see.
The difference is that the iPhone actually *is* expensive and people know it. It's just sold inexpensively. The Wii, OTOH, is cheap. There's a big difference.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-07, 15:26

Geez Tori are gonna plug Tiny Wings in all of your post ?
Wrao
Yarp

2011-06-07, 15:31

I like the Wii U, at least, initially, I think it is a strong concept, it is a little awkward in terms of its relationship to the Wii, where it partially seems like just an add-on, but it is in fact a completely new system that is Wii compatible. I like the idea of playing hot-seat 4/5 player games where one player has the Screenmote and everyone else has wiimotes/nunchuks. I think there is a lot of potential there for really fun co-operative and competitive gaming, hybridizing the fun of a LAN party and a regular video game party.

I'm amazed that people are still so adamant about specs. If the time period between 2006 and 2011 hasn't convinced you that specs don't make the device, you're a lost cause. We've just seen too many examples of not only incredibly successful, but very fun, innovative, useful...etc. tech toys that deemphasis specs. But even more incredible is how people are so angry about specs when really, outside of being HD, we really don't know anything about them at this point.

Looks like it could be a neat system with a lot of potential for convenient multipurpose use.

The last thing that comes to mind is that everyone thought the DS was kind of a dumb idea when it was first revealed, how could you focus on two screens at once sort of thing. The DS ended up being one of the best gaming systems ever made. The Wii U, I think, is essentially the 'desktop' version of the DS. Having two screens is already a proven interface method, and while it is a bit different spread across a living room, I don't imagine it would be dramatically so.

Should be good.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-07, 21:29

Anyone who thought that the Wii U would be a generation ahead of the PS3 and 360 was crazy. Nintendo doesn't work that way. It's catching up, that's it. 360/PS3 games will be able to also be ported to the Wii U, that's really all that matters.

Ready for potential buzzkill? Nintendo's suspiciously silent on whether or not the Wii U console will be able to support multiple tablets, saying only that the tablet controller will provide "a player" with a unique experience. So it's probably not going to be the dream of the GameCube-Game Boy Advance cable being finally realized.

I guess they have to save something for the Wii U2. I still haven't found what I'm looking for, but it'll be a beautiful day when it arrives.

Last edited by Robo : 2011-06-07 at 21:41.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-07, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Sorry Robo, but that just seems ridiculous. Nintendo is nuts.
Really? At first blush this is a more obvious improvement to me than motion controls were.

Think of all the multiplayer options that open up when one player can see things that the others can't. Or think of game like Zelda, where you're constantly switching equipment. Instead of pausing the game and cycling through equipment screens, you'll be able to equip items with just a touch. At the very least, most HUDs would be able to move to the controller, allowing interaction (think about, say, maps) and making the presentation more cinematic.

Unlike motion controls, which are really only good for certain sorts of games, I could see this being good for both casual and core games. It could reduce complexity for the casual audience *and* give the core audience new experiences. I really want to play Zelda and RPGs on it, which is more than I could say about the Wii Remote (or, god, the Kinect).

So yes, I will be that dumb shit who waits in line to buy it on day one even though there's no good games, just like I did for the Game Boy Advance and Wii.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-06-07, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Geez Tori are gonna plug Tiny Wings in all of your post ?
Damned game is maddening and addicting and satisfying all at the same time.

I chose not to restore my iPhone from a backup when I upgraded to iOS 5 just so I could quit playing.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-06-07, 22:54

How are you going to look down at the controller and look up at the screen at the same time? Maybe I'm not getting it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-07, 23:38

WUT.

Vanillaware (Odin Sphere, Muramasa) is making a spiritual successor to Princess Crown. For the PS3. And PS Vita.

WUT.

If we had one of those super-annoying jaw-dropping smileys I would totally use one right now.

It's called Dragon's Crown, and it features online four-player co-op. *jaw drop* And of course, super-gorgeous hand-drawn art. In HD. *jaw drop*

Sorry for the humongopic, but damn.