Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Nintendo Virtual Boy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nintendo Virtual Boy
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-10, 18:31

Despite its Pedobear sounding name, the Virtual Boy was a cutting edge video system in its day... almost inconceivable that the company released such technology on an unwitting populace. Still, after the smoke had cleared and the awe died down, it became apparent that the damned thing would give you a Grade Five Cluster Headache due to the ALL RED display and the eye-searing graphic delivery.

Still, the VB that I picked up on clearance at KayBee Toys must surely be worth a small fortune in today's collector market.

Robo, how much is this thing worth and what can you say of this nearly-alien technology?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-06-10, 19:17

Actually, I saw on Pawn Stars someone was trying to sell one and they were only offering $25 or so. I was kind of surprised.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-06-10, 22:55

A cursory search on eBay shows (working) systems being listed for anything from $75 to $750 (depending on condition and number of games included). Pretty wide range. I remember playing one of these once (rented from Blockbuster, I believe) and thinking it was pretty badass. One doubts that impression would still hold today, though.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-06-11, 11:01

A childhood friend of mine actually owned a Virtual Boy. We were big Nintendo buffs at the time. ("At the time"? HA!) I don't know if he still has it, but I remember seeing he still had the box in his house as of a few years ago.

I didn't own it, but I do remember renting it twice from Blockbuster (man, those were the days!!). I remember thinking it was really cool and wishing there were more games for it. I feel like the moaning about headaches had to have been overblown, like people wrecking their TVs by throwing their Wiimotes at them. In the couple of weeks that I had it, I played it a ton and don't remember once getting a headache from it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-11, 11:52

I'm with Brad; the noise of the thing (the rotating mirror made a whirring sound, or at least mine did) bothered me more than any headaches.

It's actually not worth very much money unless it's in particularly good condition (with intact box, &c.) or has an unusually large library of games. It was a failure by game platform standards, but they did still ship nearly a million of them. The most wanted games these days are Jack Bros., 3D Tetris, Wario Land, and the appropriately named Red Alarm. Everybody has Mario's Tennis (which was a pack-in) and Teleroboxer, god knows why.

Trivia: Kid-friendly spinoff Jack Bros. was actually the first Shin Megami Tensei game to be released outside of Japan. The main series is, uh, decidedly less kid-friendly

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong