MC: Cactuar Rail System

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Cactuar Rail System
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-25, 19:57

So I'm about to build a rail from my Jungle Underground lair to the Village I'm playing in. This brought up the question about depth of the tracks and such. I can make it run more on the southern side of my property which will put it more inline with the center of town. It'll run straight East between the jungle area I'm in and werejack's mountain until it sharply turns south at the eastern side of my village.

So how deep? Any plans for a main rail system yet?

Seems we've voiced to avoid using skyways now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-25, 20:35

How close to my mountain would it be? I left you left a sign in-game asking where the edge of your jungle claim was. Is it the edge of the jungle? I'm trying to gravel off my claim, to avoid further stepped-on toes.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-25, 21:14

It will be under the edge of the jungle on my side of the water.

I haven't really claimed any land really, as in not thought about the boundaries. I guess I should find where my underground structures are and add a few blocks outside of it for my land stake. Most of my land usage is underground with tree houses coming soon.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-25, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It will be under the edge of the jungle on my side of the water.
Oh, OK. No worries. I've been operating under the assumption that the river was the boundary, just wanted to make sure that was accurate.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-25, 21:34

Yeah, Well I thought about starting at the top of your mountain, but figured it wouldn't go well.

So I based on the in game chat I'm going to put my tracks at level 50. I'll post the X/Z numbers once I get started. This will be the birth of the Green line again.

delphi

2012-03-26, 11:53

I would like to build a rail system in the Neither.

First question, may I build a rail system in the Neither?

If the group approves, should I build a separate corridor network or use the current passages?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-26, 13:58

Not a good idea, Delphi... The zombie pigmen will spawn on them...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-27, 06:18

Yeah, we had some in Nether a while back and it is hard to keep it running down there because of the pigmen. I can't imagine it being an issue with anyone for one to be built, but we ended up running most of the time because of the pigmen getting in the way and stopping the mine carts.

We did both, a standalone path and in line with the main tunnels. Main tunnels worked better because the pigmen weren't always in the way. One of the single block wide tunnels I did was non-passable when a pigmen was in it.

delphi

2012-03-27, 07:52

Copy that! I'm glad I asked. Thanks for letting me know the issue.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-27, 08:03

Easy solution: log flumes!!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-27, 19:59

No problems, I will likely build rails in Nether again so please feel free to do so if you'd like too, just know the issues you face. At least you can push start still.

On that note, I'm standing on my bottom block and it's a Y = 50.62. Just FYI if anyone wants to follow suite on the same level. Tunnel is being started at my village for now.

Edit: My E/W segment runs from z=160.3 to z=163.7 (4 blocks wide and three tall currently.)

Last edited by turtle : 2012-03-27 at 21:36.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-30, 20:31

So my section of track I was personally interested in has been completed. I did extend to the desert via tube under/through the water between biomes. I put markers in the beach to line up with the walls of the tunnel for anyone who wants to build the line connection to the main city area.

I also extended into the East more than my cross over point to my town. I figure this can be used to connect to the far east near Bryson and others.

The stop point under my jungle home leads to my in ground farm and such. My plan is to leave the stops so you have to get out of the cart and hop on the next segment if you wish to go further down. I'm open to changing this up, but figured since I was making the track for my use I'd open it up for everyone.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-31, 20:25

So, I've finished the rail system to the Far East. It comes up somewhere around X=1450 Z=164. I'll leave the "cleaning up" of the entrance to those who live in that region. For now, you have access to the rail.

However, until someone makes the connection/termination in town then I guess it won't get you too far.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-01, 01:38

That's Dellphi's castle- Bradster and I rode your rails tonight.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-01, 11:15

Cool, though I would like to stress that it isn't my rail system. It really is for the whole community. That's why I'm hoping someone picks up and builds in town for the terminal there. I'm not interested in that section personally because I have no plans to do anything in that area.

Maybe 709 or bb can do that project. I think 709 mentioned the train station part 2.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-08, 00:16

So it seems most people won't get much use of this since nothing has popped up in the desert that is town. Would you all like to to just make a stairwell down? At least then it can be used when heading east and someone can "fix up" the entrance some other time. At least this way it will be useable.

billybobsky
BANNED

2012-04-08, 03:12

sorry turtle been busy...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-04-08, 03:39

Not sure if anyone has even planned anything over in that area of town yet.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-08, 04:02

I'm sure we'll build out in that direction eventually. But it sort of makes sense that everybody took the open area around the core of town (exchange, "central park," the post office?) first. Now that that's pretty much used up, I'm sure the town will expand both north to the rail line and south toward the lighthouse.

I actually really like how the town is progressing so far. It feels like it's growing in a nicely organic way, kind of like Bridgeport did. Terra Nova had some really cool structures — I heart the old train station — but there was a lot of space in between them, too. Terra Nova felt like a loose assortment of buildings, whereas Cactuarville is feeling more like a town. I like how structures are popping up more spontaneously, like the boathouse. So I wouldn't worry about the city not growing out in that direction, t. I'm sure the view from SpecMode's treehouse will continue to get cooler and cooler

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-08, 11:14

My hesitation in doing it for you guys is I'm not going to have a presence in town as of now and am not paying attention to the building plans.

So I'll just make the stairs go up and when ever someone is able they can then modify it as needed. Yesterday when Ijak was heading over to the Stronghold was a good example of how the rail system was still not really usable by most.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-08, 14:01

Ok, so I popped up through the surface in the desert. I also converted the northern rail to be an "Express Rail" to Adventureland with no stops. (Riding this rail gets you an achievement for those who need to complete all of them. )

The Southern rail is one with all stops in between. Now all those in town can get on the rail. It popped up near the spawn walk I think. Amazingly enough, right were a pool was in the desert.

billybobsky
BANNED

2012-04-08, 14:48

oh: we need a postoffice... perhaps the one from tn can be copy/pasted over... just south of my castle thingy might work.
¡Damned!

2012-04-08, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
oh: we need a postoffice... perhaps the one from tn can be copy/pasted over... just south of my castle thingy might work.
I was thinking maybe the area I terraformed between the Exchange and you would work... but the S area might be big enough as well.

[edit]: WHOA! Apparently I missed some transplant activity last night (today?). FUN!!!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-04-08 at 15:12.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-09, 20:59

So I think I'm going to change the entrance of the Adventureland station. I would like to be able to make the main rail continue to the East. Is everyone over in that area ok with that? It would come up between the mountains near Delphi's castle area.

Also, Ely, would you like a tunnel to hit your property anywhere? I'll build a branch off heading your way too if you would like.

In case you guys hadn't noticed, I'm enjoying the train project. My next plan is to work on crossing signal for an inbound train since the Express Rail is nonstop.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-04-09, 21:56

Quote:
Also, Ely, would you like a tunnel to hit your property anywhere? I'll build a branch off heading your way too if you would like.
Not yet. I've still got to plan out the rest of the island. The Nether corridor works for me for now.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2012-04-09, 22:10

Not all of the powered rails are working. I fixed a few, but some are still unpowered. The redstone torch needs to be moved to under the rail's block rather than next to it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-09, 23:28

Quote:
So I think I'm going to change the entrance of the Adventureland station. I would like to be able to make the main rail continue to the East. Is everyone over in that area ok with that? It would come up between the mountains near Delphi's castle area.
I'm cool with that. Bryson? Dell?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-09, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99 View Post
Not all of the powered rails are working. I fixed a few, but some are still unpowered. The redstone torch needs to be moved to under the rail's block rather than next to it.
I saw a buch and fixed them too. It works if you place the torch, then rail, and finally block over torch with the method I use. Not sure why those stopped working.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-09, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm cool with that. Bryson? Dell?
Any chance we could see that on a map?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-09, 23:58

Last I checked a few days ago, it had already emerged. You just can't see it on the map because it's obscured by the mountain. I think It emerged around here (again, behind the mountain):

Or was that an old entrance that has since moved?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.