User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
USB Hub
NeverFade

2005-02-02, 22:39

Okay. I have a Belkin USB 1.1 hub. This has the ability to have 5 USBs and has the ability to draw it's own power from the outlet.

It worked the way it should when I had my G3. A little over a year ago, I bought a G5. After getting everything connected with the new machine and so fourth, I realized that the hub doesn't work correctly. Well, there are a lot more USB ports on the G5 than there were on my G3 that I didn't bother. Now, I am getting more things that I would like to have another set of ports.

For instance, I cannot plug my game pad into it, which is also a USB 1.1 without a dialogue box with a stop sign icon coming on the screen saying LOW POWER. This has to be connected to a wall, blah blah blah.... well, the power light on the hub is on, so it's getting the power directly from the wall. I have plugged my Sony camera into it with the USB that it came with, and it reads the memory stick great, and iPhoto came up great. So, I thought maybe it was just the game pad. So, today I bought a card reader which would help me out - do't have to hook up the camera all the time - and the damn stop dialogue box came up again, saying LOW POWER! The damn thing!? I don't know what to do. There is not one port taken up, I know that it is directly getting power from the wall.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the USB hub needs to be 2.0 and not 1.1 - or that there is some type of download (firmware?) that I don't have?

It worked perfectly with my old G3, doesn't work with the G5...

Anyone else know of a similiar problem that they have heard of or run across?

Thanks in advance.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-02, 22:59

many of these early USB hubs have small switches on them that allow selecting power as either Self or External or something like that.

Look for a small switch and if you find it, move it to the opposite position it's in now.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-02, 23:13

You have a G5...

You have USB 2.0 on the G5...

You are using a USB 1.1 hub...

It is causing you issues...

I say, replace it with a USB2.0 hub... make sure the hub is not self powered... and enjoy.

Use this problem as a reason to replace the hub... they are cheap these days anyway.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 23:15

Also, make sure any device that requires power from USB (the card reader, gamepad) is in the FIRST PORT on the hub. You could also plug the usb device that needs power directly into the G5 for it to work correctly.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-02, 23:17

hubs are dumb devices anyway...

I can't wait till they start making a USB switch that works. Maybe the next USB reversion will allow this... maybe not.
NeverFade

2005-02-03, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
many of these early USB hubs have small switches on them that allow selecting power as either Self or External or something like that.

Look for a small switch and if you find it, move it to the opposite position it's in now.

Well, I am really glad that I posted! Becasue the 'fkn thing did have a switch on it!!

Thank you all very much for helping me out!

I thought that if it realized that it was plugged into the wall, it would draw power that way and not from the bus - never checked for a switch!

thanks again!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-02-03, 00:24

dont feel bad, an apple certified tech where i used to work thought belkins sucked cuz they couldnt provide enough power, and then i told her to flip the switch on the side, she didnt even know it was there
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-03, 00:30

Well I still think you should get a USB2.0 switch...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-03, 00:33

Glad to hear it!
Now to move this thread to the Genius Bar where it belongs...
saltyFISHscales

2005-02-21, 03:31

I'm glad i read this post... unfortunately it was too late, i already purchased a USB firewire combo hub. and the usb is 1.1, and my G5 is of course 2.0 man, i wish i found this site before! some of my items will work on the hub, and some wont. i can print from my hub but i cant hook my external hd or my external dvd drive to it. Damn!