Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 7 of 7 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-25, 12:15

My MacBook Pro did that. The Genius kinda freaked out when he actually saw the machine. They swapped machines because the top case was bent out of shape and it was covered by AppleCare still at the time. Worked out for me.

I've not had a phone do this though. Especially with that kind of charging habit. I mean, that is how you should be doing it. Weird.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2021-10-25, 15:57

I've had a bulging battery before too, on a Macbook back when the batteries were user-replaceable. Since the battery on that model was under the trackpad, I didn't notice until the computer started clicking on things at random times.

To keep this post on topic, my wife just got her new iPhone 13 Pro. AT&T was offering an $800 trade in on her iPhone XR, which is more than she paid for it in the first place! The phone-to-phone transfer was surprisingly fast, although the new phone was pretty sluggish until the Apple Watch transferred over.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-25, 16:19

That trade-in is amazing...the Xr is a few years old too! How does that even happen?! I've never had anyone offer more on any trade-in than I paid for it. What kind of unspeakable sorcery is at play here?!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-25, 20:42

Well, I don't need to get a 13. Apple's replacing the phone for the cost of the battery, because they said the screen was damaged Now I just have to wait till the weekend or early next week to get the replacement. $89 will be less of a hit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-26, 01:17

I am waiting for the phone to be processed but am expecting for my Xr to bring me $800 as well. We'll see!!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-01, 05:52

LOL they gave me $140 credit.

Futhermuckers.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-01, 06:16

So I got an iPhone 13, upgrading from an 11.
  • Functionally, not a lot has changed. The 11 was already pretty great. It wasn't slow or anything.
  • As expected, I still love the 4/5-like design much more than I ever liked the 6-and-beyond design. Glad Apple has returned to it.
  • The blue looks great. Not really the first color that comes to mind with "blue" (it's more of a blueish teal?), but I dig it.
  • Surprise: the speakers seem to be vastly better than the 11's. This is the kind of thing the compare page… doesn't really tell you at all.
  • Battery life is also pretty good so far, though I imagine that's in part because the battery is fresh.
  • Haven't had much of a chance to try the camera. Again, the 11's was already impressive, IMHO.
  • The migration experience was less than ideal. I get that this is hard, but, meh.

More on migration:
  • first, it wasn't offered at all ("it" being: phone-to-phone migration). Isn't this supposed to immediately come up as an option? Instead, I was asked to manually enter a Wi-Fi password (sharing that, too, wasn't offered). And then the activation server supposedly didn't run? So instead, I hooked it up to my Mac and clicked Activate in the Finder. Which worked, but that UI, too, seemed a little wonky (is it doing anything? Oh, OK, apparently it is).
  • after a few steps that seemed redundant, I could choose to migrate from my other phone.
  • after that, it first had to upgrade iOS. Fair enough. What was pretty good about this experience is that the old phone just waited that part out, and resumed afterwards. (OTOH, what's not so great about this is that you now have two phones on your desk and neither of them can actually be used.)
  • the transfer took just about 30 minutes. The estimation, too, seemed rather accurate.
  • here's where things started getting really annoying. I suppose that's in part on my complicated setup: I have multiple different App Store accounts, for historical reasons, and I also have several devices attached to the main iCloud account. Weird issues included: it would ask me for the passcode of a different phone for which it only gave the name "Sören's iPhone" (wow, thanks, that really narrows it down). It would've helped tremendously if it had said, in smaller font (or perhaps as an icon), that this is a white iPhone 7. Then it didn't show my Watch in the batteries widget. Then I looked at the Watch and it wanted me to re-type the Apple ID password, which let me tell you is not a fun experience on a Watch (is there any different way to input text? Apple TV has a remote app for that, doesn't it? Why doesn't the Watch?). As ever, Apple's software never really explains why you're prompted for the password. Afterwards, I was asked to re-pair the Watch, and that did the trick. However, things weren't done: I ended up with iOS refusing to auto-download some apps (that did exist on the old phone), but not all. Why? I'm not sure.
  • after the migration, it prompted me to erase my old phone. Now that does make sense on paper, but I'm glad I didn't, because afterwards, I started discovering that some apps weren't properly set up. You kind of have to go through apps one by one to discover which ones are affected. Google Authenticator (yes, I know), for example, has completely forgotten how to sign me in. Uhhhhh, not great. My local region's Corona app has forgotten my vaccination certificates. Threema, a secure messenger, has forgotten who I am. What a fun experience.

For iOS 16, what Apple should do after a phone-to-phone migration is crawl through all apps and look for ones that explicitly store data on-device with the "cannot migrate to other device" flag (for security reasons), and then give you a checklist "please manually check how to migrate these apps". And only after you've gone through them should it offer to erase the old phone.

Overall, it's a good new device. But the migration experience left a lot to be desired for a 15.x iOS release.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-01, 07:22

Good post.

I feel lucky that my transfer worked so well.

Before I attempted the transfer I went ahead and took my iPhone 7 up to the latest version of iOS, suspecting that it would help.

Like you, I did not elect to wipe the old phone in case some app data did not transfer.

You know it's in there.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-02, 07:48

Here's the only thing that I hate about my new phone:

It's always trying to figure out if I'm trying to open it. I am constantly clicking the side button to make it stop lighting up. It's incredibly frustrating to someone who previously had precise control, using the Touch ID sensor.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-02, 07:55

You can disable the raise to wake feature in settings:

This would require you to touch the screen or press a button to wake it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-02, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Here's the only thing that I hate about my new phone:

It's always trying to figure out if I'm trying to open it. I am constantly clicking the side button to make it stop lighting up. It's incredibly frustrating to someone who previously had precise control, using the Touch ID sensor.

Worse, if that fails for a few times, it locks you out and you have to enter the passcode instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You can disable the raise to wake feature in settings:
I should try that out for a few days.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-02, 08:44

I disabled rise to wake as well, I would often find the phone on in my pocket just from standing up. The concept of the feature is good, but it’s almost too sensitive.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-02, 08:51

Since I use a Watch it is regularly unlocking when I don't REALLY want it to. I don't mind too much most of the time. For me, I would rather it wake and unlock the times I really do want it to without having to touch the screen or a button to wake it.

Unlock with Watch is really nice for the times I wear a mask.

chucker

2021-11-04, 09:20

One more thing about the iPhone 13 and then I'll shut up (probably not)

This is my first OLED+HDR iPhone; the 11 was an LCD. Photos do pop slightly more and the blacks appear slightly blacker. Maybe? I can barely tell; Apple seems quite good at calibrating their LCDs anyway.

But when held at a slight angle (20 degrees, say), the entire display gets a weird green tint. Is this because of the RGBG (i.e., two green lights per pixel) subpixel layout?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-04, 09:23

NO IDEA on the pixel issue??

By the way, turning off Raise To Wake changed my life!!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-04, 09:43

I'm not seeing the green tint on mine. Are you doing this in sunlight or just really bright room? My office is pretty dim so it isn't a good comparison maybe. Mine is also the mini so maybe it is a difference.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-04, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
NO IDEA on the pixel issue??

By the way, turning off Raise To Wake changed my life!!!

Hmm…that feature must be more sensitive on FaceID devices vs. TouchID? I’ve never dealt with my phone always waking up when I didn’t want/need it to.

BTW, I’m kinda hoping the SE stays TouchID-based, the more I think about it. Every time I use FaceID phones, I hate the entire experience. This past weekend was an eye-opener, as I had my hands on an iPhone 11 quite a bit Saturday. By 4pm I was ready to throw it in the river. 14+ years of habit/familiarity is tough to overcome. Not entirely sure I want to at this point.
chucker

2021-11-04, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post

Hmm…that feature must be more sensitive on FaceID devices vs. TouchID? I’ve never dealt with my phone always waking up when I didn’t want/need it to.

BTW, I’m kinda hoping the SE stays TouchID-based, the more I think about it. Every time I use FaceID phones, I hate the entire experience. This past weekend was an eye-opener, as I had my hands on an iPhone 11 quite a bit Saturday. By 4pm I was ready to throw it in the river. 14+ years of habit/familiarity is tough to overcome. Not entirely sure I want to at this point.
The "raise to wake" thing (or even tap to wake) doesn't exist on Touch ID phones, I don't think.

As for Touch ID: I'm still a bit meh about Face ID. One thing that is better, though, is navigation. I liked switching apps by pressing the left edge, but swiping across the bottom edge feels even more right once you get used to it. (OTOH, "if you swipe from the top, you get Notification Center… unless you swipe from the very top right, in which case it's Control Center" is dumb.)

Last edited by chucker : 2021-11-04 at 11:23.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-04, 11:00

Been a fan of FaceID since I setup my Xs, would not want to go back to just Touch ID. Don’t miss having to push the home button all the time in the least. When my hands are dirty Touch ID is useless. FaceID still works well, even if my face gets dirty. Had to use a family members 6S while my phone was getting replaced by Apple, no thanks. Both? Absolutely yes. I like FaceID for getting into the phone, and the UI changes, mask use periods aside. Don’t like it for making purchase and such though, touch is better for that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-04, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The "raise to wake" thing (or even tap to wake) doesn't exist on Touch ID phones, I don't think.
It does, and I've used it the entire time I've had this iPhone SE. It debuted on the iPhone 6s, and this SE came 4-5 months after that, with the same capability (they used the same A9 and, I'm assuming, basic sensors).

I'm actually looking at the setting right now (it's in the Display & Brightness section). For the record, I'm on a first-generation iPhone SE (early 2016) and running iOS 15.1.

These days I'll usually just ask Siri what time it is, but I reached over and picked it up to check the time (or any lock-screen notifications) 18 gazillion times over the years. As soon as it goes from being horizontal on the table to vertical in my hand, the screen lights up without me touching/pressing a single button.

It's only the lock screen (but that's often all I'm after...the time, date or any phone/text/email notifications). And if I want to proceed, I rest my thumb on the little round home button and I'm in the phone, in about one second (if that).
chucker

2021-11-04, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Been a fan of FaceID since I setup my Xs, would not want to go back to just Touch ID. Don’t miss having to push the home button all the time in the least.
In a weird way, I just miss how Touch ID established consent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
When my hands are dirty Touch ID is useless. FaceID still works well, even if my face gets dirty.
Well, yeah, but Face ID doesn't work well when it's raining because my glasses refract too much light, nor does it work at weird angles, nor does it work in the bed when I'm holding the phone at a different distance because I don't have glasses on (that one took me… quite a while to figure out).

I… just don't think of it as a huge net win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
It does, and I've used it the entire time I've had this iPhone SE. It debuted on the iPhone 6s, and this SE came 4-5 months after that, with the same capability (they used the same A9 and, I'm assuming, basic sensors).
Yeah, I'm dumb. It's tap-to-wake I'm thinking of, isn't it? You can tap anywhere on a Face ID phone and the lock screen appears (and, if Face ID works, it unlocks). I think you can only use the home button or lock button to wake a Touch ID phone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-04, 11:39

Yep. No tap to wake here, just raise (uses those sensors that can tell when it's moving or changing orientation, I guess). But to get fully into the phone, past the lock screen, yeah...I have to touch/press something (I do the TouchID 98% of the time). I've got my thumb and index finger (both left and right), four total, set up for this for maximum flexibility/unlocking options.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-04, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, yeah, but Face ID doesn't work well when it's raining because my glasses refract too much light, nor does it work at weird angles, nor does it work in the bed when I'm holding the phone at a different distance because I don't have glasses on (that one took me… quite a while to figure out).

I… just don't think of it as a huge net win.
I don’t have glasses, so I haven’t experienced that. Then again it works just fine with wet, debris covered safety glasses, so maybe it’s just the coating on your lenses? If anything I find it works almost too well, even at odd angles.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-04, 12:12

chucker, have you tried setting up an alternate face in FaceID without your glasses? In my house my wife and I are each other's alternate face but I'm guessing the concept was for glasses and such that might REALLY change what the sensors see.

chucker

2021-11-04, 16:04

I'm *pretty* sure I added an alternate appearance without glasses on my 11, and either it didn't make any difference or it certainly didn't fix the "it won't recognize me if I hold it close" problem.

Which, once I understood that's what it is, wasn't that big a deal, but it took me a while to grok the "oh, when I don't have my glasses on, I automatically hold it closer so I can read the text, and that's why it's failing" part. But still, I never had that problem with Touch ID — between distance and weird angles, Touch ID just works way better in bed.