User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Watcha Listening To? Revolution Edition.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watcha Listening To? Revolution Edition.
Page 63 of 64 First Previous 59 60 61 62 [63] 64  Next Thread Tools
iBrowse

2020-09-02, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I can't stop fucking listening to The Mars Volta's Octahedron.

I have literally listened to at least half of this album every single day since the start of spring.

I had a guy share my (rare) powercart one day, and tell me that "man I don't what random player you have here but I had to turn that shit OFF, it was the worst shit I ever heard"

So not only am I still spinning this shit daily, I'm also praying for this fool's death daily. Barely leaves me time for self love and drugs/alcohol!!!

EDIT:

OK, holy fuck. Did a search for this just now and found I posted this album almost 10 years ago. WTF!!! Give this album a whirl, it's slick AF.
Octahedron is one of my least favorite albums by them, but it's still great and they're one of my favorite bands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Simulation Theory by Muse.
I don't know jack about this band.
But they sound pretty dang cinematic.
Maybe I will investigate them more this fall.

Edit: I'll check out your band too Murbot
I haven't explored Muse that much but my wife says they were the best live performance she's ever seen. Thanks for the reminder to listen to more Muse.

i thought i used to have a signature
iBrowse

2020-09-02, 17:20

It's a little outside of what I would normally listen to, but I discovered this guy named Scott Lavene who is pretty fun.

Here, have some videos

https://youtu.be/PC4249OqUZU

https://youtu.be/GIPuLtVq_lU

i thought i used to have a signature
¡Damned!

2020-10-03, 19:54

Pop Will Eat Itself - Dos Dedos Mis Amigos & This Is The Day...This Is The Hour...This Is This!

Amazing, both.

Last edited by 709 : 2020-10-03 at 20:17.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-02, 14:44

I just learned that Daft Punk is no more.

So I'm listening to Tron: Legacy again.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-04, 09:54

For some reason I've been on a U2 kick the past 5-6 days (they always cycle around, and I want to hear those first five albums again...Boy through The Joshua Tree. And I'll seek out clips on YouTube (older 80's performances mostly, tied to the above albums.

I know it's fashionable to ding them sometimes, Bono in particular, but I've always been a fan and loved their sound. Especially as a teen and seeing some of those early videos and realizing "this doesn't sound quite like anyone else out there".

It also hit me just how rare they are in that, after 40+ years, it's still the same four guys. Nobody's quit/been fired, OD'd, offed themselves, died via illness/injury. I'm trying to think of any other band that came out/up in the early 80's and the MTV era/revolution that I can say that about. There may be some out there I'm not familiar with, but when I think of all the bands I enjoyed back in the day (and even still to this day), I don't know if any with their original early-80's lineup still intact (or even in existence).

Duran Duran? Close, a few years ago, but Andy Taylor has once again left. They've currently got four of the original five, with a replacement/fill-in guitarist.

The Cars, The Pretenders, INXS, R.E.M., Simple Minds, Van Halen, The Bangles, Big Country, 'Til Tuesday, Spandau Ballet and on and on. And even bands I'm not huge fans of or super familiar with - Metallica, AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc. - don't have their original 4-5 piece lineup. People have died, quit, members departed and returned, etc. No consistent, 40+ year "all the exact same members".

And others - The Police, Thompson Twins, The Jam, etc. - haven't even existed for many years now. Decades, even.

And any bands that are currently "intact" in their original 80's lineup - Poison, Motley Crue , the Go-Go's, etc. - weren't solid/intact this entire time. They've either gone dormant for periods, or have brought in replacements at various times due to an original member departing/getting fired).

If someone can think of a band that came up/got big during that early 80's explosion (all those acts that ruled MTV back in the day) who, like U2, has a lineup that is a) intact to this day and b) never changed in these 40 years, please chime in below. But I don't think it'll be any well-known, mainstream acts.

Two possible exceptions, checking their Wikipedia pages: Pet Shop Boys are shown as having been active from 1981-present with only Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe listed as members. So that might be one to consider? But as a electronic/pop and synth-based duo, there were never any drummers, bassists or guitarists to lose, so that's kind of a cheat. Easier to be a self-contained duo where 1-2 people can do all the synth/drum machine programming/layering, vs. trying to keep 4-5 meatheads, addicts, deviants and ego cases together. And the other is Tears for Fears, which seem to be presented as a duo of the two main guys, Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith, but their Wikipedia entry shows past/departed band members, so they may not quality.

Seriously...when you put it up against all the above - and all the countless others I've not even mentioned, it's quite a thing. It wasn't like Adam Clayton or any other member left during the 90's and they marched on with an "unofficial" (not on album covers or promo materials) fill-in bassists for a decade or two (or same with the drummer). In other words, it's not been the Bono/The Edge show with a rotating, fluctuating rhythm session of hired guns for studio and tour work (as is the case with many bands). Those four guys, from that very first video of "Gloria" and them playing on that barge in Dublin, have been the only members of U2 once they released their first album/videos (I'm not counting pre-fame members, mind you...every band goes through people who don't stick around for their first signing/break). But for four-plus decades the world has only seen/known four constant members of U2...Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr.

They must get along well. Or have at least figured out what to do if/when they don't, so nothing gets permanently affected/wrecked?

Pretty impressive, when you think about it, and compare them to all their peers! Quite a feat in that business.

I'd love to know of any others.

Up until about 2-3 weeks ago, I suppose ZZ Top could've been added to that list, but their bassist, Dusty Hill, has died, so. But yeah, they were an intact trio from way back. I would've added them next to U2 (even though I don't really consider them an act that came out/up in the 80's, although their fame grew due to those videos they made).

PS - Apologies for the rambling novel on such a trivial topic. But when I get a notion like this lodged into my head - have any other bands stayed this intact all these years? - I have to chase it a bit. It's how I'm wired.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-04 at 10:19.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-14, 23:01

Wasn't The Who pretty much Daltrey and Townshend the whole time?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 23:15

Yes, and if Keith Moon and John Entwistle were still alive and with them, they’d be another rare act with the original lineup still in place. But it’s been Roger and Pete and others (sidemen, ringers, studio musicians, hired guns, touring members, etc.) for a while now. It’s Half-Who.
¡Damned!

2021-09-15, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If someone can think of a band that came up/got big during that early 80's explosion (all those acts that ruled MTV back in the day) who, like U2, has a lineup that is a) intact to this day and b) never changed in these 40 years, please chime in below. But I don't think it'll be any well-known, mainstream acts.
The three core members (Dave Gahan, Martin Gore, Andy Fletcher) of Depeche Mode are still together since forming in 1980. They made most of their best music when Alan Wilder joined on their second or third album, but he left in the mid-90s to devote all of his time to Recoil. The main 3 dudes are still intact and are still creating music afaik.

That's really the only one I can think of that has some name recognition.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 12:03

Very close. But Vince Clarke, the founding member, left very early (after 1-2 albums) and went on to Yazoo, Erasure, etc.), so, going by my thing of “from their first signing/album through today, they actually don’t qualify. But you’re right. Those three others have been together. Still impressive. And if Clarke had never left, they’d be right there with U2.

They would be one of the closest ones, no doubt, to keep three people intact over 40 years. I know there were some addiction issues and other drama at various points, so that’s even more impressive.

I’ve thought and thought and Googled and Wiki’d and I can’t find one. A band who came up in the early 80’s and still has the exact same lineup, unchanged, no temporary departures/fill-ins, etc. that appeared on their first album.

U2 is still the sole winner at the moment.

I’m sure there are some out there, but it’s a challenge to find! But I love stuff like this, so I’m in heaven searching.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 12:16

Speaking of U2, this thread/discussion above has made me wander back through those years. I’m on Apple Music so it’s easy to listen to whatever, whenever I want.

I’ve forgotten what an amazing, listenable album “The Joshua Tree” was. And “Running to Stand Still” is still one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking songs I’ve ever heard. I kinda gasped the other night, listening to it for the first time again in decades. Such a picture painted…I think I’ve known that woman he’s singing about. One comes to mind, all these years later, still.

There’s music for you. Unlocks a little door you’d forgotten all about, and then hits you over the head with a shovel for an encore. Wasn’t quite prepared for a whole bunch of memories to come racing back like that, just listening to a song.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 13:35

I just put together a great sound system so I've been working back through some classic albums. Might have to do The Joshua Tree tonight.
¡Damned!

2021-09-15, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Very close. But Vince Clarke, the founding member, left very early (after 1-2 albums) and went on to Yazoo, Erasure, etc.), so, going by my thing of “from their first signing/album through today, they actually don’t qualify.
Dang it. We'll have to keep an eye on Radiohead to see if they can break U2's streak eventually, because that's all I got at this point.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I just put together a great sound system so I've been working back through some classic albums. Might have to do The Joshua Tree tonight.
It came out at an interesting, exciting time in my life with someone in the mix that meant the world to me and vice versa and blah, blah, blah. We'd sometime joke that it was our "soundtrack" and whatever. Sap that I am, I guess hearing all those songs again was quite an unexpected time machine. I just kinda let it wash over me for the evening and took the ride, bittersweet as it was. Nice to do, sometimes. It's one of those albums, to me, where all the singles/"hits" weren't even the best songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Dang it. We'll have to keep an eye on Radiohead to see if they can break U2's streak eventually, because that's all I got at this point.
Haha...yeah, it's tough, isn't it? I thought "I'll find 5-6, not even trying". Haven't found one yet! Lots of close ones, but it's really a tall order: same lineup since first album, no departures/returns, no fill-ins/substitutes (for anything other than a brief medical or personal issue...a few concert dates or whatever; I'm talking less than a week ). I'm gonna have to start delving into bands I'm not very familiar with (but have at least heard of) because I believe I've thought of every major, known mainstream act from that era/decade (contemporaries/peers of U2, coming up in the very early 80's, first album in that 1980-1982 timeframe, among that first cluster of acts shown on MTV, etc.).

Can't believe MTV hasn't given them some sort of trophy/lifetime achievement thing at one of their lame-ass award shows for this very feat. "You guys were there at the beginning, and you're still here...fully intact, alive, sane and still relevant. Congratulations! And as soon as Cardi B stops fighting with half the audience and puts her Glock away, she'll present you with the trophy."

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-15 at 14:46.
¡Damned!

2021-09-18, 02:56

Beastie Boys – Paul's Boutique

What I wouldn't give to hear the intro track for the first time (wtf?!?), and then get right into one of the greatest albums ever.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-18, 03:40

“I got the girlies in the Coupe like the Colonel’s got the chicken”

It is a great album. As a yoof I had License to Ill (legally required as a teen in the 80’s), and then I bought this upon release and played it just as much.

Ain’t even my normal, usual style of music, but I love them both to this day.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-06, 15:38

I saw that Mötley Crüe was one of the top most loved bands recently it prompted me to dig them up again and I'm absolutely loving Dr Feelgood again! Head bouncing and everything.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-06, 15:52

You're old!

Spoiler (click to toggle):
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-06, 15:53

Maybe...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-06, 15:54

Back in a surf mood. Been wearing out all the unknown, one-hit early 60’s stuff in Apple Music. It seems everyone in SoCal got their hands on a Fender Strat or Jaguar and a reverb tank in 1962-1963 and managed to make their way into a recording studio.

Good, fun stuff by a lot of people who could barely play. But it works.
¡Damned!

2022-03-18, 23:11

Girls Against Boys – Bulletproof Cupid
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-29, 22:46

About to admit something that maybe I shouldn't (because it paints me as quite oblivious/stupid). But I'm among friends, so... And, in a way, I suppose it belongs in this thread as much as any other, because it's about a song, etc.

Believe it or not...I didn't know, until yesterday (Thursday, April 28) that the Edmund Fitzgerald was a real ship/sinking.

My whole life, I just knew it as that haunting, sad Gordon Lightfoot song. I saw something online yesterday and started reading and my heart sank. I was like "holy smokes...".

I feel so stupid/out-of-touch.

I'm like Johnny Trivia and Mr. 20th Century Pop Culture/News Events/American History...how did I not know this?!?

Lake Superior, 29 dead, stormy winds, nobody's 100% sure what actually happened, etc. Just like the song.

It sits at the bottom of Superior, about 500 feet down, in two pieces and all 29 of the crew with her.

The song always made me a little gloomy/sad, but I listened to it last night, now aware of the real story, and it broke my heart.

I don't miss much, but good grief...when I do...

Now I'll listen to it in a completely different way. How could I not?!

PS - And I learned how to play it, of course. It's pretty much just four chords, capo-ed on the second fret, and they repeat through the whole song (minus those little instrumental breaks). I've strummed it all day today (but I'll never remember all those lyrics).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-04-29 at 22:59.
¡Damned!

2022-04-30, 09:28

Growing up in Michigan in the '70s, you were pretty much obligated to know every line of that song by heart. We even had it on vinyl.

Trivia!: There's a bit at the end of the song about a church bell in Detroit ringing 29 times, one for each life lost. Well, in the mid '90s they went down and retrieved the bell from the wreck, and it's on display at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum* up in Whitefish Point. They have a memorial ceremony every November 10th and ring the bell 29 times.

*Maybe surprisingly, there are a lot of shipwrecks in Superior – hundreds around Whitefish Point alone. She can be unpredictable.

Haven't been across the bridge in years - might be worth a drive this summer.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-30, 10:18

Yeah, I’ve spent the past 48 hours soaking up all Edmund Fitzgerald info/lore I could. Its Wikipedia entry to start, then about 3-4 other stories/articles online and then about three mini-documentaries on YouTube as well.

Big ship!

I read that the bell, as you said, was brought up and in that museum. But they also sent a replica back down, inscribed with the names of the 29. It’s a graveyard. I like that it’s protected. People can’t go down and rummage/scavenge.

Another thing I learned is that due to the cold, the usual things that happen (bacteria growth, gasses, bloating, resurfacing, etc.) never took place, and it’s speculated/assumed that the remains are largely intact/preserved, and that normal processes have been greatly slowed.

Kinda eerie, but also strangely beautiful.

“Superior, they said, never gives up her dead…”.

I went from knowing it only as a song three days ago to absorbing all I can. Some sort of atonement/“making up for my ignorance” gesture, I suppose…

I would’ve been six when it happened, but I simply have no recollection of the event. And I always watched the news with my dad and I’d read his TIME magazines. I knew shit about Camp David, I was aware of Sadat and begin, Jimmy Hoffa (my grandpa was a Teamster member), I knew who G. Gordon Liddy was, I was aware of gas shortages, I remember the day Elvis Presley died, etc. All those things throughout the mid-70's. But, somehow, this story eluded me. Odd. I know it made national news (saw the footage of Harry Reasoner telling on the news), but maybe it was, after that initial report, largely tied to geography, and something “way up there” just didn’t get heavy, ongoing coverage down here. That’s probably part of it?
¡Damned!

2022-04-30, 11:55

Regional thing for sure. Michigan is first and foremost a water state - we're a pair of peninsulas after all (Trivia!: Michigan has more coastline than California, Florida & Hawaii combined), so that song really embedded itself into the consciousness. If you weren't raised on the water like I was, you were at least within a short drive to one of the 'Big Lakes'. We've all been out fishing a few miles from shore and the lake has turned quickly enough to get that primal fear welling up in you. We've all been swimming and realized that we're 'too far out', or caught in a riptide, or undertow. We all had to partake in 'the chain', where the adults join hands in a row and walk out as far as they can into the water. Shit is scary. You develop a deep respect for the water and how things can change in an instant.

So lines like Superior never giving up her dead, the witch of November, and "Does any one know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?" really do resonate with the natives. With reverence even. It's pretty much Michigan's unofficial state song.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-30, 12:01

You echo the sentiments I've seen in so many articles/YouTube comments the past few days. If you live up there in that area, it's just something everyone knows and everyone has spent time on those lakes and knows how they can get. Kinda like folks down here remembering/talking about a massive tornado or flood from 40 years ago that killed people they knew and/or forever changed a town. It becomes part of a region's story/glue.

It's been all so interesting to learn about, the past 2-3 days.

Whatever happened - water breach, capsize, etc. - happened so fast that there was no mayday or anything. It just went under. I can't think of anything more terrifying, those final seconds/minutes.

"We're holding our own" was apparently the last transmission from the captain when asked by another ship how they were doing. If that's all you heard on the other end, you assume they're going to make it through okay. And then...nothing. Ugh...*shiver*

PS - I didn't mean to bring the joint down with all this. Back to Def Leppard and the rest!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-04-30 at 12:18.
Anonymous Coward

2022-04-30, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Michigan has more coastline than California, Florida & Hawaii combined
Sorry, I just had to look that one up. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Office of Coastal Management lists Michigan (3224 mi) as having a longer coastline than Hawaii (1052 mi), but not California (3427 mi) or Florida (8436 mi) .

Using the above and a list of states' areas, I also tried coastline per state area and coastline per state land mass, and Michigan has a higher coastline/area than California, but not Florida or Hawaii. Michigan definitely has the largest water area to state area or water area to land area of any state, and the largest water area percentage than all states combined, excluding Alaska, Florida, Minnesota, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, and Washington.

Just so that is not my only contribution to the thread, my favorite singer/songwriter is Natasha Borzilova . It is hard for me to imagine that English is not her native tongue, because she writes so well. (Yes, I've been waiting for years to mention her, but it doesn't seem like they type of music anyone else listens to.)

Last edited by Anonymous Coward : 2022-04-30 at 23:11. Reason: Added coastline per area, water area per state area, and percent water area
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-04-30, 19:06

We are all learning new-to-us things every day!

Paul you might really like this old song by Stan Rogers, about a crew on a mission to refloat a sunken ship.

Video with lyrics:
https://youtu.be/8uirXFig0IQ

Version performed by my friends:
https://youtu.be/AfvizMPdzGM

Mashup by same friends:
https://youtu.be/PIU-fId-K-4

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-11, 17:42

I like story songs in old-fashioned language. I’d love an album of Quint’s songs…you know he had a thousand of ‘em.

“Farewell and adieu, to you fair Spanish ladies…”.

I’ve been on a ferocious Creedence kick the past 2-3 weeks (happens about 4-5 times a year), and the Green River and Bayou Country albums (1969, both) are both on repeat play in Apple Music.

I never get tired of John Fogerty’s voice/phrasing/inflections. Dude could sing the Wendy’s menu and I’d be all “YEAH!! Tell me about those burgers!”
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-03, 21:31

Def Leppard Diamond Star Halos

So far I'm really digging it. Not far in, but it has the Def Leppard sound for sure.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-06-08, 10:59

Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd just ask in here.

What is a good way to convert an M4P file from iTunes do an MP3? I want to put a song on a microSD card for a anniversary present to my wife.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey