kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 15:21

Nooooooo …

You don't say?!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-08-19, 18:01

For reference, I went and got some new clothes and had them tailored. In the last few years I’ve gone from a 50” to 42” chest, 18.5” neck to 16”, and 38” waist to a 32”.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 18:19

I'm wearing 34's from 36, but I have to tighten my belt a lot! I know I can fit 32", now, but I just bought new pants and I'm not going to spend the nickels until I stabilize.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-20, 10:46

Some good news to share this A.M.:

My original goal was to get to 165. I made it to 168 toward the beginning of 2021, and then kind of gave up. "Close enough" if you know what I mean. I celebrated with a donut, then went on a bulking diet, and gained 10 pounds in two weeks. I was hovering at 180 for quite a while, and then some self-righteous, gym-squatters had to go and silently/unknowingly challenge me and I started cutting again with the goal of reaching 160, which is ideal for my body-thing.

I started this week out at 167, and this morning I weighed in at 163.8! Most of that is going to be water weight, but the important thing is that I am now under 165! And only 4 more to go until I hit 160. Right now, my goal is to nail that sucker by September 17, which is when I go on vacation.

Next week is a diet break (I get a couple hundred extra calories/day for a week) and then hit it hard for three weeks, go on vacation for 10 days, and then have to burn that off before I get serious again about muscle building—again.

There is a light at the end of the hungry/suffering tunnel.

But that is still only one of my goals. The other three are a bit more elusive, but progress is being made:

#1 Weigh in at 160 pounds (163.8 this morning)
#2 Find my 6-pack (starting to poke through when I flex my abs)
#3 Do 3 sets of 10 pull-ups. This morning I was at 5/4/4
#4 Bench 200 (I can do 135, but started at 70 a year ago)

Some of my goals are now in sight. The bench press is off down the road a ways. Got to eat a surplus to reach that goal.

Feeling like a donut next week, but the last time I had one I went on a bit of a binge. So not sure. I have also cut out about 70% of the beer I was drinking, and I know that helps a lot.

Anyway, I'm getting there.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-20, 10:59

I made it down to 155 this week. I have no idea my measurements yet but I do know that I'm lighter than I've been since my 20's. I don't expect that I'll stay this low after a few days though, I've been sick and not eating much at all this past week. Still STRUGGLING to burn 500 calories a day on my Apple Watch and getting my 30 minutes if exercise in too. I really shouldn't have been pushing that, but I have and closed all my rings everyday still. I'm finally starting to feel more normal again, but this has been since Sunday. Man this week sucked.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-20, 13:03

Sorry you've not felt well.

Once you get to feeling better, though, it's time for you to start eating at maintenance levels if you want to maintain, or a bit more if you want to add muscle mass.

155 is a good starting point for the rest of your life, but you can't let yourself waste away. I'm fighting that also, and have decided that 160-170 is a good place to live. I'm shooting for 160 as a foundational starting point for my life going forward, and a commitment to staying beneath 170. Anywhere in between those two points is healthy, provided I'm eating right and getting ample exercise.

Tony, start eating again. Just watch your day-to-day intake and balance it over a week, and budget in a cheat-day/date-night with the wife. Lift weights 3-4 days per week, and get some cardio in the form of long walks and an occasional run. Otherwise, you've done great to get down where you are. And congratulations. It wasn't easy and we're proud of your effort.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-20, 17:42

Oh, don't worry. I'm looking forward to eating normally again. I've been eating ~2200 calories a day until this week. I just didn't have the energy to get out of bed let alone eat. And still I forced myself to do 500 calories of burn on my Move ring and 30 minutes of exercise.

Today being my first day starting to feel more "normal" that this last week I am looking forward to eating I can assure you. Mac and Cheese and BBQ Chicken with Stovetop so far. Very filling meals though maybe not the "best".

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-24, 13:53

152.3 this morning. I just don't feel like eating right now. Still getting over being sick. My sense of taste isn't right so everything tastes weird to me right now. I'm trying to force myself to eat though. I haven't worked out for real in a week and a half at this point either. I think I'd hurt myself if I tried to lift weights right now.

Man, I'm so over this crap. Nagging cough, half-sense of smell/taste. Monday I'm going to get back to a normal workout routine. It has been a chore working these last two days. I've been taking nooners to get by. Spending all night in bed after work is over. I'm guessing my continued weight loss is my muscles continuing to burn even though I haven't been working out. At least I know that does work!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-24, 14:01

Sorry to hear all that. Get some protein into you, even if it's a supplement. When you're good and sick, your body doesn't need muscle and consumes it, especially if your protein intake isn't sufficient.

BBQ chicken is good. Chicken = protein!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-30, 13:53

I worked out today with weights for the first time in two weeks since getting hammered by Covid. It sucked so bad. I could only do two sets as opposed to my normal three. I figured, that fact that I even did two was amazing. I was winded after the first one, let alone the fact that I had to check my weights because they all weighed more than I recall!

But... I did something in the gym again! Tomorrow would normally be a HIIT day, I'm not going to do that. I think I'll run at a very slow pace to see how well my cardio system is doing before trying to be where I was two weeks ago.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-30, 14:01

Glad to see you're back at it, Tony.

Last week was a 1-in-4 diet break for me. So, two camping weekends and a few hundred extra calories each day and I put on 4 pounds. It's amazing how quick the weight goes on, and how long it takes to get rid of it.

Well, today marks the hardest 3-week stretch for me. I'm going on vacation September 18 for 10 days, which also coincides with my next 1-in-4. My goal is to be 160 or less end of day on the 17th. Done camping for the year, so no more of those beer/burger-athons (), which means I shouldn't have too much trouble hitting that goal. 3 pounds/week is doable, but I'm going to have to push hard, especially the diet part.

We shall see.

Then, I'll probably gain 10 pounds on vacation.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-08, 12:57

I'm finally back to 100% in my workouts. Ok, still struggling with getting winded during my weight lifting but able to complete three sets of my normal reps. I'm running at or better than I was before getting knocked down. I guess I need to increase my level on the treadmill now actually. It isn't easy, but I'm not "struggling" at all on the treadmill with level 7.

My weight is maintaining at 156 or so right now. I'm still eating about 2200 calories a day too. Also still logging everything with Lose It so I can keep on track.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2021-09-10, 13:54

I should weigh in on this thread. Not even an intended pun.

At the start of the pandemic in January 2020, I weighed 317 and was in the midst of a lot of different health issues with nerve pain, food allergies, and a whole slate of other things not fully figured out yet (which is a journey worthy of its own thread at this point, but suffice it to say the result at this point is I'm allergic to almost everything and the number of things I can eat is effectively down to like 10). I didn't feel safe to do hockey or the gym until getting my 2nd vaccine dose, but was able to start back to both of those in April this year. As of this past week, I'm down 60 lbs to 257, and I've made some pretty radical changes in the gym.

Back in April, I really only did well with leg weightlifting due to the hockey background. From past injuries to my shoulders, a lot of upper body lifts have always been difficult. Things like Pec Fly or a Bench Press, for example, I maxed around 100. In 5 months, I'm now hitting 260 for 30 reps on Pec Fly and 210 for 30 reps on Bench Press. I've maxed out all of the back machines, and shoulder lifts that I struggled to do reps with 50 lbs when I started are now around 150 for 3 sets of 10. I also managed to get below 7 minutes for a mile for the second time in my life this past week and for the first time in 20 years.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-10, 14:03

Great job, Rowdy, and glad to hear from you.

This journey isn't easy, so congrats on those 60 pounds. Keep it up!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-10, 14:47

Wow Rowdy, that is awesome work there!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 09:55

At which point does one stop "pushing" in their workouts to higher weights and faster run times?

I'm not there yet, I want to get stronger and faster (greater endurance really) but I'm not sure about this concept of stagnating.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-07, 10:45

Yeah, I don't think the body works that way. We get old. At some point it's about holding on to as much fitness as you reasonably can without adding new injuries. We're not competing for medals or NHL contracts. Me I'm just trying to stay ahead of my kids for another decade or so, or at least until they hit their early twenties. I think the youngest is going to have me beat by the time he's 13 though. That one has a great mind-body connection, for most sports he just "get's it", and he's strong and wiry too. I've got maybe 5 years before he's embarrassing me at most things. I'll keep lifting because at least when he really starts to shove me I can trick him into thinking I can shove back. COVID has kinda beat the shit out of my lungs though. I'd just started rowing before it hit. Today when I get on it, my heart rate rises too fast, and when I measure my resting SPO2, it never hits 99 any more, so there might be some long term damage there.

Last edited by Matsu : 2021-10-07 at 11:19.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-07, 12:45

When you're satisfied with the way you look and feel, then it's just maintenance. Reduce your workout days to 2 or 3 per week. Lift the same weight each time. Your body will adapt and maintain what it has.

If you stop, though, it will mostly turn to fat. So be careful.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 13:59

Those are pretty much the way I was thinking about it. I'm not done building yet but I am within my weight range. I had a physical yesterday and the doc was thrilled with my weight and said for my hight I should be between 150-160. I'm 157 right now. Getting closer to 150 would give me more buffer for pizza nights though...

For now I'm still pushing on the weights and stepping up my intensity on the treadmill too. I don't think I'm where I need to just maintain yet. I'm also still doing a solid workout 5 days a week with a lighter weekend.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-07, 14:36

I had a goal of 160 by September 17, and on September 17 I stepped on the scale and was … 160! (38 pounds gone!)

Then I went on vacation and gained 8 pounds in 2 weeks!

So, back down to 160 and then I have a bulking plan. Once I hit my target I plan on entering maintenance mode, which means I will be dancing around 165-170 until I die. But that's still a 30lb dumbbell I don't have to lug around any longer.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-08, 10:06

Cnet has an article about body recomposition today and I think that is really closer to where I am. I asked about when to coast, but really I'm wanting to trim a little more fat while not truly cutting anymore. My goal is not to bulk really either. I have no desire to bulk, just tone up at this phase.

This is pretty close to what I'm doing other than I'm not spiking my protein like I should be.
Code:
Monday Strength Tuesday Cardio/HIIT Wednesday Strength Thursday Cardio Friday Strength Saturday Cardio Sunday Cardio
Currently I'm still eating about 2200 calories a day. However, I'm eating less protein than I need based on what I'm seeing.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-19, 07:27

My post covid lungs are pretty frustrating. Recovery time is so bad, and endurance even worse. I probably have to lose a big chunk of weight just to have the same endurance I used to have at bulkier weight.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-19, 10:46

Sorry to hear that, Matsu. But! You might want to lose that weight anyway? Seriously, there's a 35lb dumbbell on the floor that I no longer have to lug around with me everyday. And I never want to carry that damned thing ever again! It's freakin' heavy!

My heart and lungs are thanking me every day, too.

Keep working on it. Your body will recover, it's just going to take time and hard work. We have confidence in you.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-19, 12:23

If I think about my devolution to out of shape middle aged guy, cardio was the first thing to suffer. I never liked it, even when I would run 10K in about an hour, which is not that impressive, I know, but that was as a heavy guy (even then). I always liked lifting weights, it gave just the right kind of biochemical/stress-relief reaction that I could spend a couple of hours in the evening doing pretty strenuous sets. I'm not sure if diet went after or actually started well before. I've never really watched what I ate except for a year when I got everything back into shape. As a rule, I eat a lot of healthy foods, which I cook myself, but I eat a lot, emphasis on a lot which was fine when I'd work out 8-10 hours a week. The thing is, you get used to a certain amount of food and the body wants it, exercise or no. In one way, that year when I got fit again may have been the worst, because I proved to myself that I could more or less will myself back into shape in a few months. Not so good at willing myself to stay in shape though. After that it turned into a game of, "Well ten pounds, I can drop that in a week..." which turns into, "Meh, I'll skip leg day, or warm ups, or super sets..." and soon the weights are gathering dust...

And in the last few years, kids... which meant that for a couple of years we cooked/ate whatever would keep them quiet. And, then 18 months of work-from-home... And, over this time, I'm ten years older, and then... COVID. So, yeah, things fell well back before COVID, but it's an exclamation on a bad slide downward.

I've never felt a lack of strength like now. Honestly, I have to remake my body a little differently. I can't carry an extra 50-60 lbs anymore, which I did easily ten years ago. I didn't even really look worse for it. Not to humblebrag, but people would never guess my weight then. I certainly wasn't shredded, no one was confusing me with a model/gym rat, I had padding, but lifting makes you pretty dense/powerful and hides a lot. I actually don't think that 50-60lbs is enough loss anymore. In 10 or 20 years my body won't carry even that. I should probably drop close to 100lbs which would make me about the same weight I was in highschool!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-19, 13:00

Yes. That's a lot of work. But, if you can break it up into 2-4 years, then you're only looking at 25-50 pounds/year, and that's doable. Even the 25/year route is just 2 pounds per month, which is very manageable, and the healthier of the two routes.

I know it's not easy, but maybe it's necessary? My whole reason for doing this started in early 2020 when COVID was mostly killing old, out-of-shape people. I don't consider myself "old" (I'm about to hit 52), but I was very much out of shape, and I can't do that anymore. It's up to me to determine what kind of shape my body is in, whether through healthy eating, working out, or (preferably) both. I'm not shooting for "ripped old man", but I am shooting for "I work out, and it shows".

If you look healthy, you probably are. If you don't look healthy, though, then maybe there's some trouble brewing?

Don't get me wrong. Looking "healthy" does not protect us from icky things, but it can sure help. A healthy body heals faster than an unhealthy body, and is more resistant to damage. Thus, my decision.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-15, 14:53

Who's still in the game?

I managed to keep working out even through the Christmas vacation and New Years! In fact, today I reached my second weight goal of 155 (154.6) and can now eat my daily burn of 2200 calories to maintain.

I might take it down to 150 eventually, but that more depends on muscle mass and tone. Right now I still have very visible gut fat though nothing like it was at ~200#.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-15, 21:38

I back in it. I’m cycling on a stationary alternating between 30 minute cardio routines - at low-mid resistance so I can spin fast - with an interval program that gives 5-6 minutes of max resistance over 10-12 minutes. Rather than doing squats I can just stand on the cranks and mash the pedals. I take a big break between the two sets. I’m mixing in some work on the rower too, but I haven’t really developed a routine there. I’d like to get on it and just do a timed race 3-4 times a week, but my endurance is very poor these days, so I’m easing in there. It’s more of a leisurely row and a brief sprint when I feel up to it. It’s hard though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-28, 14:14

You know, this working out all the time sure does get boring. I talked to my trainer and he is like, yeah it is. So?

I mean, I do the same basic routine every day of the week. Mon - Fri it is the exact same. I now take my Saturdays and Sundays off though. Normally I'm active enough that I manage to get enough of the "rings closed" on my Watch but I've actually missed my move goal twice now since I started working out over a year ago.

I'm now hovering at 155 though, which was my goal. I'm more fit than I have been in forever.

I'm still going to keep with the workouts though. Every time I've stopped I just balloon. I'm also still logging my calories every day.

How's everyone else doing?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-28, 14:40

Still at it. I'd been "bulking" since October and put on 30 pounds after hitting my 160 goal, so I'm back up to 190. Interesting, I'm nowhere near as "pudgy" as I was, so I know a lot of that weight gain has been muscle (at least 5-10 pounds, anyway).

Today is actually the first day of another cut, so I'm back to that, with a target of 165.

The big news (for me, at least), is that I made some pretty big gains on the weights over that 5 month bulking phase, and am now lifting more than I ever have in my life.

The sucky bit is that I got the plague the first week of January and was out for two weeks (minor fever for a week, and then minor head cold for a week, followed by two weeks of a complete lack of motivation) and was out of the gym for a solid month. It took me all of February to regain what I'd lost (in terms of lifting progress), but I'm almost all the way back and wrapping my head around that whole "just do it" attitude. There have been a few days where my body just refused to get out of bed (I blame my stupid brain), but I think I'm getting that lack of motivation back under control.

I don't like cutting, but this time I'm going to try really hard to get my weekends in order so I don't lose so much progress drinking and stuffing down the cheesecake.

It's a never-ending struggle, this getting-in-shape thing.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-17, 16:54

I'm stuffing this in here because it makes sense to do so.

Don't drink soda!