User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Winter Storm Izzy...anyone getting a dose?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Winter Storm Izzy...anyone getting a dose?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 15:17

I know we've got some Midwest ANers, some TN/GA/NC ones and then up through the Mid-Atlantic/New England places (don't we?). This system was supposed to come down from the Dakotas, pass through KC and Iowa, hit western/middle TN and the top half of Georgia and then turn northward and head up into the northeast tomorrow/Tuesday.

We've had nothing but steady rain here in Chattanooga since about 4pm yesterday, nearly 24 hours now. As usual, the mere mention of the "s" word caused everyone to lose their minds 48 hours ago and basically clear out the grocery shelves in anticipation for the entire entire 4-11 hours they could be tragically stranded in their homes.

Around 11am we started to get some snow, but temps were still 37-39. Nothing happened. Currently it's not doing anything at all...no rain, no snow, no sleet, no mist. Nothing. I think, at least here where I am, the only real story will be the tons of black ice and skating rink roads that might develop after sunset when temps will drop down below freezing. The "possible 2-5 inches of snow" forecast here obviously ain't gonna happen. Flakes, when they were falling, just hit the ground/roof/driveway and vanished.

But I saw on the Weather Channel where South and North Carolina may be getting a worse go of things, particularly with the ice.

Anyone had any major, crazy Izzy fallout or adventures? It's been pretty much a big mis-call here, but that's so often the case. There must just something about the geography/topography of Chattanooga (the way the mountains and ridges west and south of here are situated, etc.?) that almost always results in forecasts (heat, sun, rain, snow, ice, tornados, etc.) never panning out. Stuff always gets just to our southwest and then either splits and goes north and south of us, or just stalls/dissipates completely. It's weird how often this happens. Places 25-50 miles from me, both sides, will get hammered (heavy snow, ice, major storms/tornado warnings, etc.) but nothing at all here (except about 1-2 times a decade).

But, despite all this history/precedent, people here still panic/lose their shit/buy provisions for two months, and, 98.4% of the time it's for nothing at all. They botched this call bigger than most.

I've never really lived anywhere "meteorologically exciting". That near-decade I spent in Southern California? "Sunny and 78-84 every day. It might rain a few times for a three-week period in January...hit repeat". The one year I spent in Northern Virginia, near Quantico, we did get that "blizzard of '96" and I had snow up to my car door handle. That was a first. But that was probably the biggest, craziest thing I've ever dealt with, and it was all a non-issue in about 2-3 days (they're prepared for it...the roads were all driveable a day later). If Chattanooga ever got 18"+ of snow, we'd be shut down until about August.

Drew, did Atlanta get/is getting any of this? Brad, you're in NC...is it hitting there?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-16 at 15:28.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 17:06

Yes! Atlanta got hit. Nothing like Snowpocalypse, thankfully. They're proactive now and have vastly increased the budget for road treatment.

Here at my house we had a short, pretty spell of snow, but it has mostly been frozen rain and snow pellets. No accumulation here, as compared to friends 30 miles north who have enough to (barely) sled (in cardboard boxes).

As I've grown older I've realized that I get crazy cabin fever when it snows, so this afternoon I went to the pharmacy to pick up an order then drove a mile or so over to pick up a couple of doughnuts from Krispy Kreme and the WORST cup of the coffee I've had in years.

Paul I should have told you about Chattacon, which was happening this weekend. Some friends have grown into taking over the administration of the event. It's a small Sci-Fi con andd it has been running for 47 years! Of course you wouldn't attend right now, due to Covid, but perhaps you might give it a whirl in the future?

One day I'll go back again. WhenI do I'll let you know - we can tag up at Lupi's for pizza!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 17:17

Absolutely. I’ve heard of it but I’ve never gone.

BTW, ice is the thing here. I just slipped/fell.

It’s now 33 degrees, stuff by is falling and it’s making little shapes. Some surfaces are extremely slick. So much for a Sunday evening snack run. My butt I’d staying put. If my feet can get out from under me like that, I don’t wanna be driving some of these low-traffic back roads to the store.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-16, 17:39

We had an ice storm here a few weeks ago, at the tail end of four weeks of cold weather, nothing bad thankfully. Roads were crazy icy though, lots of spin outs. I just stayed home.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-16, 19:13

No Snowpocalypses here in central NC. We're already keeping an eye on next weekend's forecast, though, which teases another snow.

We got a nice thick glaze of ice this morning. Apparently there was snow just before sunrise, but it quickly turned to sleet and freezing rain. By the time I got up, our bushes and tree limbs were all bowing deep with the weight of the ice. I heard the tell-tale HMMZ-POP! sound of power lines and transformers blowing up in the distance a few times this afternoon, but thankfully our power continued uninterrupted. I don't plan to go anywhere until Tuesday, at which point I expect all the roads will have dried up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 19:50

Things appear to be over here. Maybe a stray bit of sleet of a few flakes. No sunshine tomorrow and a high of 37 so a lot of roads might be dangerous in the morning.

But, overall, a big nothing here. Other places got it far worse.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-16, 20:36

We had about 8" at my house in SC. It has been pretty awesome actually. Church canceled in-person services in favor of streaming only for today so we didn't feel like we had to go anywhere. Not that I would have driven to church in this, but still.

Apparently some neighbors around the corner lost power but we didn't. Everything is running as expected at my house. Just lots of white stuff on the ground that temps have stayed in the upper 20's for the day. Currently it is 28.3 at my house.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-16, 20:50

My brother just landed at Dulles and said the roads there are a mess, he's a bit worried about getting home.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 21:23

Turtle, I thought you were in Virginia. When did you move?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-16, 22:47

I was until April of 2020. We moved during the initial lockdown. Rest areas in NC were still closed IIRC. The best part was, we got to close on our new house in the new house! No law office for us (lawyers have to do closings in SC), we had a notary and our real estate agent here and that was it!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 23:12

Ah, cool.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-17, 10:17

I just beat it! Spent all afternoon yesterday in the backyard framing out an ice rink. I realized that by night-time it was going to hit us, so I went to the local Lowes (it's always empty compared to Home Depot) and squeezed a pile of 2x10s, 1500 sq ft of poly and four rolls of tuck tape into the car. Damn building materials have gone up, but I needed something for the kids to do. Got started right after lunch and stayed out 'till about 7PM, but there is now a 40x25 ft pad, lined and filled with snow, waiting for me to turn on the hot water later this afternoon when the snow stops. I've got enough 2x4s in the garage, I may bang together some shinny nets and cap the boards after the ice is set. I know there's some snow fence at a nearby relative's that can be repurposed, benefit of knowing too many builders and borderline hoarders...

I even framed around the walnut tree so it's in the middle of the rink. I'm going to move the Christmas lights to it, which should light it up pretty good.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 10:35

All that and no pic(s)?! What’s the matter with you? Sounds pretty awesome.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-17, 11:30

You can't even see it right now, there's nearly a foot of snow on the yard and it's still coming down. I'll take a few pics after I water it I'm always last minute with this stuff. In my mind I've got an idea for a build that could be disassembled and put back every year, with ~20" tall "boards" and rounded corners! That would get me another ten feet of width, so 35x40, basically the whole yard with a 5 foot border all around. Not as snazzy as the prebuilt stuff, but way cheaper, hmmm... maybe it will be a good project for the fall...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-17, 11:39

First of all, this is awesome.

Second: does a prolonged covering of ice harm your organic ground cover (for me it would be grass) in any way? Do you need to do any remediation after it melts?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-01-17, 12:06

We got 10-12" last night. Took me about 2 hours this morning to snow blow my driveway. Will need to do it again later tonight. East side of Cleveland got 14-18" and getting more tonight. Roads are a mess and a lot of stuff has been shut down today.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 12:48

14-18"...yikes. Aside from that 1996 blizzard in Virginia, the highest snow I think I've ever experienced was here in Chattanooga in 1993, the year before we moved to California.

I measured out in the driveway, away from everything, and it was right at 11". It put the kibosh on things around here for a solid 2-3 days. But the roads were pretty decent after about two. So, even in that freakish scenario, things were "back to normal", stores/businesses open, roads passable, etc. in four days.

I don't know WTF these people buying all the things they were buying the other day, for a forecasted 2" "dusting" were thinking. Do the math...if everything is "normal" again in four days after an incredibly rare 9-11" snowfall here, how long should one expect to be truly stranded/inconvenienced for a 2" event?

People here just absolutely lose every bit of perspective, memory, common sense, sanity, grip on reality, history, practicality, finances, etc. the moment the local weather vixen mentions the "s" word. All bets are off! It's like someone rang the crazy bell and everyone somehow hears "possible 2-inch dusting in some areas" as "29-inch wall of white death and despair, and Yetis".

I've always wanted to make some sort of funny documentary type of thing during those times. Just visit about three nearby grocery stores a couple of days before a 2-3" "snow event" is forecast, and film the carts overflowing with food, the empty shelves, the long lines and interview people in the checkout lane/parking lot about their line of thinking.

"Welllll, you just never know...".

Yes the hell you do, knock it off.

I'd love to have all this shit officially documented for all to see.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-17, 13:10

Drew, It can screw it up pretty bad if you don't get plastic off right away. Field mice like to burrow shallow ruts just under it. Last year, under a much smaller rink, it wasn't so bad under the ice so much as the spots near the edges where my install was sloppy, just enough of a gap to make a winter home I guess. I think if you have it all weighted down and level, then it's really just compression of the grass, and a good rake/thatching should get it back. I didn't really care about it too much, because I had a whole backyard redo planned out, which I haven't gotten to yet. The yard is all lumpy and needs a good thatching, rolling and a bit of regrading anyway. It doesn't drain well, so every step leaves divots and there are two spots especially that accumulate water. I have the materials stored to install some French drains, in spring I plan to put in three of them and regrade so everything flows more aggressively to the back fence (which is a park)

Last edited by Matsu : 2022-01-17 at 15:55.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-01-17, 14:24

I have about 18" in the front yard here in South-East Ontario. It's a lot, but not really entirely out of line with what happens in regular year. My snowblower ate it up on my drive, problem is that the plough hasn't been down this street yet, so the road is basically unusable right now.

Re; Drew: What does a number on my lawn is not so much the ice covering, but the area where the snow pile from the road gathers, and all the salt. That section of the lawn tends not to grow back until July.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-01-18, 00:59

Around 11" in Rochester. We stocked up on some dry canned goods in case the power went out and had plans. I was a little disappointed that everything was fine.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-18, 09:45

OK. I haven't shoveled a thing and went out just to measure. There's 16" of snow settled on the yard, and some spots have snowdrifts quite a bit higher than that. Just brought the garden hose in to defrost it in the laundry tub, then I'll run some hot water out for the rink. I'm wondering if I should compact the snow first, I think that might be better. I don't have a roller, but could improvise something with the kids sleds...

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-01-18, 22:54

I'm down at the Jersey Shore for the winter as we're renovating a rental property we bought and we got hit with well over a foot about a week and a half ago.

Now, I've lived in NYC for 6 years, so I hadn't shoveled snow in a long time. Shoveling that much snow from my driveway and sidewalk really was a pain in the ass. Definitely didn't miss shoveling.

Was surprised I didn't get any snow with this past storm, but we got a ton of wind and rain.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-18, 22:57

It's going to happen AGAIN down here on Friday.

I dodged it this past time.

Please send your thoughts and prayers that I dodge it again this time.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-18, 23:35

Odd. You’re showing sleet/snow Friday, but 100 miles up the road were showing nothing. Maybe some narrow thing coming through that hits Atlanta but not here.

Even if they were predicting it here it would fizzle or redirect anyway. However, the fact that they’re not forecasting anything should tell me “uh oh”. We’ll get hammered Friday, completely out of the blue and with no warning. And it wouldn’t be the first time.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-01-18, 23:39

Good luck!

We got 14". Many sidewalks aren't shoveled, some roads not plowed. I'm thankful that I'm not taking the bus into the office ATM after I broke my toe as there was no way to navigate.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-11, 09:14

After about two weeks of springlike weather - mid-upper 70’s, sunshine, some rainy days, things turning green and sprouting, trees starting to bud, me prepping the mower for another summer, etc. - we’re now under a Winter Storm Warning for the next 24 hours or so. Supposed to start tonight/overnight.

Out of nowhere, but I assume it’s the same system that just dropped 5-7” on my friends in KC?

The local grocery stores will be a madhouse today. Probably already are.

BTW, Sunday will be sunny and in the mid-50’s, so whatever does happen will mostly be gone a day later. That still won’t stop people - morons - from buying seven of everything, as though they truly believe they’re going to be trapped in their homes for weeks and weeks from a 1-3” accumulation (with a return to sunny skies and 50’s/60’s temps the days following).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-03-11 at 09:32.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-11, 11:04

I knew it was going to be cold at my place this weekend but had no idea it would be snowing around us!

My Uncle lives in western NC and was supposed to come visit us but that isn't going to happen now. He is expecting 6" of snow and temps around 6!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-11, 15:04

Today is so weird. It's a total spring-like day...birds chirping, blue sky, temps in the 60's, nice breeze, grass/trees sprouting, neighbors outside working in the driveway and yards, etc. There's nothing about the current conditions pointing to anything remotely resembling snow in about 10 hours.

This is going to be a) the biggest botched forecast of 2022, or b) the surprise, paralyzing blizzard nobody was prepared for/expecting.

Wanna hear something funny/interesting? It was March 12-13, 1993 that Chattanooga got hit with a massive snowstorm, biggest I've ever seen here, by far.

This weekend is March 12-13.

Oooooooh...BOO!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-11, 16:37

Yeah, I'm interested to see what the weather turns out to be for us. We have moved plants back inside for the next few days and such. I would like to see snow again, sort of. We just fertilized our bushes, trees and vines. Not that they will be hurt by snow/freezing, but the trees have blossoms already. We will have to see how this effects fruit production.