User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 169 of 221 First Previous 165 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 173  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-30, 23:03

Taken from Twitter:

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-30, 23:19

It’s right there on that ridge. Those people below aren’t sleeping tonight. Caused by lightning?

Wait…is it a ridge/mountain, or is all that blackness where burned homes/buildings are?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-30, 23:44

That's a ridge (foothills of the Rockies). I don't think they've announced a cause yet. No storms in the area today so not lightning.

I'm probably not going to sleep well tonight either. The winds are now shifting to put me downwind of the fire. Good news is some rain is moving in tonight and tomorrow afternoon we're supposed to get a ton of snow.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-30, 23:46

The video on this tweet really shows the scale of the fire: https://twitter.com/GRDenver/status/1476757009122873351
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-30, 23:47

Just hearing about wildfires takes us back to summer here. So what's Denver got, snow on the hills and fires on the flats?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-30, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Just hearing about wildfires takes us back to summer here. So what's Denver got, snow on the hills and fires on the flats?
Wish we had snow in the hills. There's tons up above 9000'—snowpack in Rocky Mountain National Park is several feet deep, just got 30" up there a couple days ago—but below that it's all dry.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-31, 10:54

Made it through the night. Snow has begun to fall and the winds have subsided. The worst appears to be over.

This drone video of the damage looks like something out of a disaster movie: https://twitter.com/bclemms/status/1476939967565742080

Last edited by Ryan : 2021-12-31 at 11:18.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-31, 11:35

Link appears to be dead.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-31, 11:45

Yeah, guess he deleted the video.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-31, 12:25

Governor is now saying 1000 homes lost or damaged, but no lives lost.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-31, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
… no lives lost.
Hard to find good news amongst the bad, but that's good news!

Makes me believe that when the order to get the hell out comes, people are finally listening.

I remember that during the Paradise fire in California that the warning to move was given when the fire was way over on another planet, but it was moving something like 50mph and too many people thought, "Oh, we have plenty of time!" Rather than get their asses moving, they took the time to gather up all the things and found themselves smack dab in the middle of a firestorm that killed dozens.

I'm telling all of you this as a warning: If the thing is coming down your driveway, you'd better already be 50 miles away!

Keep a grab-bag ready to go, know what is going with you in advance, have a place WAY OVER THERE where everyone is going to meet, and get out when they tell you to get out. There's no conspiracy here. No one is trying to get you out of your home so they can raid your fridge. Your life may well depend on quick action, and you'd best not be the last family in line. Be the first so you don't get caught in the traffic jam.

We don't live in an area susceptible to firestorms (the desert is a mile south of us), but if the wind is blowing right a firestorm will just eat it's way through a neighborhood using nothing but houses for fuel, and it could be on us in a hurry. During fire season, I keep a close watch on the weather and fires burning to our south. If one is moving south-to north I have a battle plan: Load the grab bag in the truck, make sure the wife and daughter know trouble is possible, and prep and hitch the camp trailer (if there's time). Then, if there is an evacuation *warning*, I'm not waiting for the get-out signal. I'm loading a few pictures, my son's urn, the family, locking up, and going for a drive. That way, if there is an evacuation *order*, I'm already out of the area and ready for the possibility of a long wait.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-12-31 at 13:05.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-31, 13:33

It's amazing. The police scanner was filled with calls for rescues all day yesterday, including an entire hospital that had to evacuate plus at least one senior living facility. EMS worked their asses off getting people out who couldn't do so themselves (elderly, disabled, etc).

Part of why they didn't try to contain the fire early on was due to a) high winds making containment likely impossible and b) the need to direct personnel to rescues instead of firefighting. Apparently EMS commandeered the school buses for rescue operations to get people out.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-31, 15:17

Betty White is Gone

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-31, 16:37

Quote:
It's amazing. The police scanner was filled with calls for rescues all day yesterday, including an entire hospital that had to evacuate plus at least one senior living facility. EMS worked their asses off getting people out who couldn't do so themselves (elderly, disabled, etc).

Part of why they didn't try to contain the fire early on was due to a) high winds making containment likely impossible and b) the need to direct personnel to rescues instead of firefighting. Apparently EMS commandeered the school buses for rescue operations to get people out.
Every hospital, school, etc. has an emergency plan. The problem usually isn't the plan, but deciding when to put the plan into action. I think for most places is that the plan isn't 2-parted. Part 1) "We might have to evacuate; let's get ready."; Part 2) "We have to evacuate; get everyone out and let's go." Most people/businesses just have part 2 in place and don't do anything until some higher-up has the balls to call it, because no one wants to be responsible for a false alarm.

"There's a fire burning in the hills north of town. It might not get here but start part 1 of the plan, just in case." That statement alone would save time and lives. Plan for the worst, divide that plan into two parts, and be prepared to implement said plan at the drop of a hat.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-31, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Betty White is Gone

Yeah. I always liked her. I had no idea she was 99. Figured low-mid 80's? But if I stop and do the math, track her career, etc., then yeah...she'd certainly be nearing 100.

I always like seeing her on those old Matchgame '74/'75/'76 reruns on GSN. While the other celebrity panelists always come across as drunk (or brain-damaged, in the case of Brett Somers), she was always genuinely witty and just saucy enough to keep you watching.

"What did she just say?!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-31 at 17:31.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-31, 18:47

RIP. Betty White has long been in a group of women whom I figured would all just live forever. Other members of that elite club are Queen Elizabeth, Julie Andrews, and Angela Lansbury. I had just done a routine internet search a few days ago to see if they were all still kicking. Alas...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-02, 11:09

**Criminal Mastermind/Entrepreneur News**

A man who was charged after stealing a Frito Lay truck asked to rap in exchange for a new car at an auto business the night before, report says

Funniest story of 2022, so far. We'll see what the other 363 days bring.

Quote:
A man who is accused of stealing a Frito Lay truck resulting in a lengthy police chase told a local business employee that he would rap in exchange for a new car, WRAL-TV reported.

The driver, identified by authorities as Arrik Schmidt, allegedly stole the truck from Carlie C's grocery store in North Carolina on Friday morning and led authorities on a nearly 100-mile pursuit, according to the outlet.
My man wanted that Lay's chip goodness. Hey, who among us can't relate? I like those honey mesquite BBQ chips myself. Not sure I'd steal a truck full of them and create a 100-mile chase, but catch me on the right day and I suppose anything's possible.

Quote:
A manager of an Elite Auto business, located next door to the grocery store, told WRAL-TV that the suspect asked for a car in exchange for a rap song the night before.

"He asked if he could rap good enough would I give him the Navigator," Stephen Jackson, who declined the offer, told the outlet. "He said, 'Well let me make some moves tonight, and I'll be back tomorrow and see what we can do."

"Yo, is these dope rhymes good enough for a Navigator?"

"Make some moves tonight" = stealing a potato chip truck and selling the haul on the black market overnight to raise money for a new Navigator.

"If I can get $5 a bag...". You know this idiot was wearing out that calculator on his iPhone, running all the numbers.

Genius! Damn near Bond villain levels.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-02, 13:05

Looks like the sheriff called his putt too early.

3 missing and feared dead, 991 structures destroyed in Marshall fire, Boulder sheriff says

With 10+ inches of snow falling the day after the fire—and wind chills below 0—they're assuming those three didn't make it.

The Denver Post has a horrifying collection of photos from the area: https://www.denverpost.com/2021/12/3...damage-photos/

On an uplifting note, the Red Cross and YMCA had so many volunteers show up they had to turn many away for lack of work for them to do.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-02, 14:15

That is unreal. That looks like something you would see in a post apocalyptic video game.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-02, 17:03

Denver started last week with a domestic terrorism incident that left five dead and ended it with the most destructive fire in state history. It's been a rough time for this area.

Fortunately one of the three missing persons has been found alive and well: https://www.denverpost.com/2022/01/0...ille-superior/
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-02, 17:04

Seeing what happened in Denver area just brings back bad memories of last summer... Terrible, picture from city destroyed here this past summer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-02, 17:10

Quote:
On an uplifting note, the Red Cross and YMCA had so many volunteers show up they had to turn many away for lack of work for them to do.
People - most people - step up when it counts. We see it over and over again. Hopefully that trait/outlook never goes away.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-02, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
People - most people - step up when it counts. We see it over and over again. Hopefully that trait/outlook never goes away.
The sheriff just put out a statement asking people to stop donating food and goods because they have no room left to put it. "The storage areas are so full that the next option will be out in the snow"
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-02, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
My man wanted that Lay's chip goodness. Hey, who among us can't relate? I like those honey mesquite BBQ chips myself. Not sure I'd steal a truck full of them and create a 100-mile chase, but catch me on the right day and I suppose anything's possible.
Here in Canada, our well-planned fast and furious heists are targeting the truly important stuff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-02, 19:30

Damn dairyists. Nothing worse.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-02, 21:29

I blame the November floods in BC, flooded farmland meant that thousands of dairy cows died or were put down due to a lack of food for them. That put more demand on other domestic markets in Canada.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-02, 22:12

And the November event came at the end of a year where Canadian dairy famers were already under scrutiny because of #buttergate.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-07, 13:42

**Show Business/Celebrity Passing News**

Sidney Poitier, Oscar-winning actor and Hollywood's first Black movie star, dies at 94

I mentioned this over in the movie thread (because I randomly mentioned him just yesterday in a discussion with drew), but it should go here too.

I know I'd seen him in In the Heat of the Night, Look Who's Coming to Dinner and They Call Me Mister Tibbs! (thanks, TCM!), but, looking over his filmography at IMDb, I'm reminded of how many more movies I've seen him in. Sneakers, Uptown Saturday Night, Little Nikita, Shoot to Kill, The Jackal and about 5-6 others.

A nice, long life, some great performances and an impact beyond the movie screen. Hard to ask for more.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-07, 14:07

Didn't know him by name, but as soon as I saw the picture I knew it was. Agreed on your points about him.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-08, 13:15

**I Officially Give Up News**

A reality star who says she made $200K from selling her farts in Mason jars is pivoting to selling them as NFTs

We're only eight days in, but I've already found the most 2022 headline of 2022. The other 357 days don't stand a chance.

Quote:
Stephanie Matto, 31, made headlines around the world when she announced that she'd have to retire from selling her farts in jars after she says she was hospitalized while trying to keep up with the skyrocketing demand.
Lightweight. Amateur.

Quote:
The former star of TLC's "90 Day Fiancé" said she made around $200,000 from selling her bottled farts to her fans, but doctors advised her that her excessive wind-breaking was taking a toll on her body.

Quote:
Matto explained that while she was running an 18-and-over fan subscription platform, similar to OnlyFans, she received a lot of requests for her farts. "I always thought that was a complete joke," she said.

But last year, she said, she decided to sell her farts as an "experiment" to see if anybody would actually purchase them.

Her first batch of 97, each selling for $500, ended up selling out instantly, she said. The second shipment, selling for $1,000, also sold out, she said. Matto said she made approximately $200,000 total.
What am I doing with my life? I've left trillions of dollars on the table over the decades.

Quote:
Matto said that over the holiday season this year, orders from devoted customers [...] flooded in. "I knew I wasn't going to fulfill them but I tried anyway," she added.
A real trouper, bless her heart.

"So, Stephanie...what do you do for a living?"

"I fart in jars and sell them to guys who'll likely never see a set of tits in real life."

"And people say the American dream is dead...".

Quote:
One morning, she had three "large servings" of protein shakes and "several bowls" of black bean soup to help meet the demand. But she started to feel unwell, with sharp shooting pain in her chest and heart, and decided to go to ER.
The only part of this story that makes any sense, or that I can understand.

Quote:
A digital artist reached out to her and suggested they make a collection of unique artwork, based on her bottled farts, to sell as NFTs. An NFT, or non-fungible token, is a unique identifier that can cryptographically assign and prove ownership of digital goods.

Matto said she jumped on the idea because she has a "very creative mind" when it comes to making money.

Fart Jars NFT launched on Wednesday and are now selling for 0.05 Ethereum ($186).
I like that she's so ditzy/committed that she actually felt she had to go through with it. She never had to actually fart in a jar. It's obvious that these sad-sack terminal virgins and Dahmers-in-training would've paid what they paid if she merely said she farted in the jar...sparing herself a hospital visit and eating God-knows-what on an ongoing basis.

Tired of quoting this idiocy. Just read the rest of the article if you're interested...it doesn't get any better or less WTF?!, however.

But somebody page drew...he was all about this NFT stuff a few weeks ago.