MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 2 of 21 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-06, 21:33

I can chip in some for the processor on Friday when I get paid.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-07, 01:08

So I've got to add SpecMode to the list of those who have contributed (So far $30US each). Thank you very much SpecMode. It is greatly appreciated.

For those who plan to, but have not yet donated, I thank you too for even considering a gift even if you never are able to do so. Really.

On the note of gifts:
All are welcome to head to my armory and use my armor and sword dispenser. All you have to do is stand on the lava block, turn and push each button. Wait and your loot will drop to you.

At the recommendation of Bryson, I've even added a recycle bin for your old stuff.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-04-07, 13:04

Server go boom?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-07, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Server go boom?
Looks like it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-07, 13:22

Weird. The server definitely stopped itself. T, did you stop it? Maybe it's a bug?

Regardless, I just SSHed in and restarted it. I can't connect in-game to see if things are okay right now, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-07, 14:03

Server side looks ok, Brad.

I was logging on when it went foul.

In other news, I would like to claim the hill side to the west of the Applenova sign.

It just seems logical to do so as it sits between the buildings at Spawn I have built and the mushroom crater, which may be part of the development. I will keep a buffer between the sign and whatever I build...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-07, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Weird. The server definitely stopped itself. T, did you stop it? Maybe it's a bug?

Regardless, I just SSHed in and restarted it. I can't connect in-game to see if things are okay right now, though.
I think I was napping at this time. I wasn't even moving files or anything. (I've finished that.) Not sure what caused it. Sorry I missed the (MC) server crashing though. Glad Brad could SSH in to Lenny overall though and get things back up. I didn't even have my cell phone with me in the bedroom because I was napping before class tonight. On the bright side, tomorrow looks good for me to strip Lenny and give him a good Cent OS 5.5 enema!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-07, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Friday, Friday, server goes down on Friday...
FWIW, the game plan is as follows:
  • Turtle and I will coordinate in real-time over GTalk.
  • I'll shut the game down some time roughly at 7 PM EDT and pull the backups.
  • Turtle will physically power down the server and swap drives.
  • Turtle will run through a net install of CentOS. He did a dry run tonight installing in a VM on his MacBook while playing Minecraft. How long did that take? 45 minutes?
  • I will restore the backups, install Java, and restart play.
Hopefully the full ordeal won't take any more than 2-3 hours.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I might bring up the world on AN proper while we're waiting, too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-07, 23:56

Nah, make them play in Apocalynova!

I'm finalizing a few things on this end right now as I type. New drive for Lenny will be ready to install. I'm also going to keep the original drives un touched incase disaster strikes and I just can't make things work. (Not likely, but just in case.)

Install on the VM was about 45 minutes with a WiFi connection and MineCraft running at the same time. Lenny has QoS and is wired so it'll be limited by the source more than anything. Plus, Lenny will only be running the install/OS.

During this time I'm going to have to reconfigure a few ports on my router too, but this is more of a side note than an upgrade thing. I have to move the ports that were for http and iCal to my Mini. Other than that all should be well.

Once there's enough to get the beefy CPU I'll order it and plan for that outage. I'll keep you all posted on it as the time comes.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-04-08, 18:33

Is the server down? I'm getting a "Network is unreachable" error, and the address isn't responding to pings.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-08, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Is the server down? I'm getting a "Network is unreachable" error, and the address isn't responding to pings.
Yep:

Quote:
FWIW, the game plan is as follows:
  • Turtle and I will coordinate in real-time over GTalk.
  • Turtle will physically power down the server and swap drives.
  • Turtle will run through a net install of CentOS. He did a dry run tonight installing in a VM on his MacBook while playing Minecraft. How long did that take? 45 minutes?
  • I will restore the backups, install Java, and restart play.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-04-08, 19:03

Ah, I missed that in the flurry of posts in the last couple days. I think this thread has been getting more traffic over the last few weeks than the rest of the forum combined.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-08, 19:15

So this is just a new drive, right? Not the new processor?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-08, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Smaller drive since we were never going to fill 2 TB. Also, installing a newer OS. No new CPU yet.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-08, 20:58

And we're back!

Quote:
Quote:
Just short of exactly 3 hours. Right on the money.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-09, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Right. We are running a clean install of Cent OS and a few other services. This will minimize the processes running. I'm not using it for storage at all so I've dropped the drive down to one 320GB drive over the 2 x1TB. Services are a minimum etc. I also installed the x64 version in case we upgrade the RAM later for some reason.

The new CPU can't happen just yet because I don't have enough to get it yet. I'm still at the $120 mark. Almost there though. It's about $200 for the one I'm looking at that would serve MC the best. Today was my first day unemployed and it was great. Other than having to go to Office Depot again to get some supplies I needed for the drive moves and such. Could have been worse I suppose.

Also, my tool shed has been completed and is open for those who need to get tools. I have a dispenser system similar to the armor dispenser in the armory. Feel free to get something you need, just limit it so others can share in it. I'm going to have to change the outside though, it doesn't look right. I'll have to tackle that another time though.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-09, 02:41

I just followed up on my promised matched donation towards the processor, so you turtle should be at $150...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-09, 06:11

I haven't played in a while but I donated $30 too in the hopes that one day I'll be able to find the time to get back into it.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-09, 08:43

The money keeps rolling in, turtle. Sent mine.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-09, 08:44

I'll see what I can do once I'm back in town. Should be able to donate something.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-09, 10:47

Okay I was worried I missed the CPU donation train. I should be able to throw some bills later today.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-09, 17:27

I just put in $30...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 00:44

So, I do have the Tool Shed open for those who need new tools as well as the armory for those who need armor or a sword. Please leave the inner area untouched in the armory, it's not "open to the public". You can look if you'd like though. Of course, you have to trek out to my place in order to get the loot.

So I did my part an killed off all but one dog for me and two for Mrs T. I really did feel like Anakin, only I cared.

The CPU has been ordered, though it seems the place I ordered it from doesn't do weekends. I've only been given automated responses and it's out of New Jersey so I'm hoping it's actually legit. I'll let you know when it comes in so we can plan the down time.

Thank you again to all those who contributed to the CPU fund.
billybobsky, 709, Bryson, SpecMode, billybobsky again, torifile, Elysium, and Capt'n Drew! Each gave $30 to the CPU which is enough to cover the cost plus a little extra. Thank you again, it's going to be nice having a server that can keep up with us.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-15, 14:10

So, the new CPU is sitting on my desk as of today! Just got here a few minutes ago.

I don't think I'm going to have the chance to get it into the machine until Sunday at the earliest though. I'll get with Brad on making sure the server is shutdown properly and such, but know that some good downtime is coming.

I'd guess that it should only take about 1 hour total to get the system down and back up again. I'd normally say it should be burned in and stress tested, but I think Java does that well enough. Maybe we should have Brad revert his code optimizations for a few days.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-15, 17:14

w00t w00t

Thx bobsky and grey and Bryson and bobsky again and Tori and Elysium and Drew. And turtle, of course.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-15, 18:16

Looking forward to the improved CPU!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-15, 19:13

Wow. Perfect timing. Is there any chance you can make the switch tomorrow, turtle? I'm actually going out of town from Sunday (in the early AM) through the following Saturday (late PM), and I won't be around to restore/monitor/troubleshoot any problems through the week.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-15, 20:22

Maybe later tonight! We'll keep you posted.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-15, 20:26

Now our server is what's getting Seecret Friday Updates.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-15, 21:16

Going down for upgrades! Either turtle or I will post again once the server is back up.