User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 23 of 49 First Previous 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27  Next Last Thread Tools
arteggio

2011-01-20, 08:18

Yep, that's my mansion-castle out there. Travel to and from Bridgeport is quite the pain, but I'm pretty self-sustainable now and the new skyway access eases the length of the trip. If anyone's working out that far west and you want to stop by for the night or some cooked pork, feel free. Not sure what I'm going to call the place though.

Oh, and that skyscraper over there is mine too. Hopefully it's not a hideout for infinite mobs...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-01-20, 11:02

Depends on the interior, but it looked like cobble floors with glass windows. If left solid, it can make infinite mob floors that are easily viewed.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-01-20, 13:48

hey brad? I keep getting time out errors when trying to sign in. Is that a minecraft.net issue or is the server going wonky again?

Bonn89

2011-01-20, 13:54

So, apparently my cactus farm continues to work even when I'm logged off. I just got on and heard a deafening sound of hundreds of objects hitting water. Turns out it was cactus dropping — 430, to be exact.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-01-20, 14:35

Still having login issues here, but according to Notch, they've begun the migration to the bigger server. Hopefully this means we'll see some better performance soon.

arteggio

2011-01-20, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Depends on the interior, but it looked like cobble floors with glass windows. If left solid, it can make infinite mob floors that are easily viewed.
Interesting. Maybe I'll play around with a few floors, but at the moment there's a bit more of an airy design in there, with floors made of wood. A zombie did appear on an unlit floor though.

Now, if only Minecraft weren't down...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-20, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
hey brad? I keep getting time out errors when trying to sign in. Is that a minecraft.net issue or is the server going wonky again?
Virtually all timeout errors are because minecraft.net itself is overloaded. Every time you connect to an SMP server, the server has to authenticate you against minecraft.net. When minecraft.net is overloaded, the server times out waiting for a response and denies your connection request.

Individual server admins have virtually no control over that problem. We have the ability to turn off *all* authentication requests, but that's a huge security risk since it allows people to connect with illegal or spoofed credentials. I only ran the server briefly with auth off, and that was because I was connected the whole time so I could keep an eye on things.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-01-20, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Virtually all timeout errors are because minecraft.net itself is overloaded. Every time you connect to an SMP server, the server has to authenticate you against minecraft.net. When minecraft.net is overloaded, the server times out waiting for a response and denies your connection request.

Individual server admins have virtually no control over that problem. We have the ability to turn off *all* authentication requests, but that's a huge security risk since it allows people to connect with illegal or spoofed credentials. I only ran the server briefly with auth off, and that was because I was connected the whole time so I could keep an eye on things.
Ahh, gotcha. I didn't know if that was permanent or not

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-20, 19:19

Getting a new error now - "Server redirected too many times (20)". Any idea if that's a new minecraft.net quirk, or something borked with the AN server? (If I were a betting man, I'd go with the former, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask anyway.)

EDIT: Never mind, it finally worked. So, chalk it up to a new minecraft.net issue.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-20, 19:43

Yep. That's all minecraft.net's fault too.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-01-20, 20:02

Edit: gah, how'd I double post like that?

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-01-21, 00:36

So the simple task of cleaning out the last cave by my base has turned into an epic PITA as I seem to have found a cave system with several large caverns and still have branches (going down) to explore.

Should hit bedrock tomorrow.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

AdventuristDru

2011-01-21, 15:21

Hi. Can i join the server? My MineCraft username is: Pace212
I wont destroy anything. Oh and how do you get onto a server?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-21, 15:38

Um, that's not me, btw.
Just to be clear!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-21, 16:07

Seems like you should be a member of this community before hopping on the server. By that I mean not have just joined the forums. Maybe more like Nova Bazaar permissions.

Nothing against you, AdventuristDru, but we don't know you and your first post is to join up with our Minecraft server. Seems odd to me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-01-21, 16:56

That's complicated.

Not as harsh as Nova Berserker, but weirder than Nova Odd.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-21, 23:28

I'm a little intimidated by the crazy ass construction projects you all have got going on. That and the fact that I'll have to trek way the hell out to BFE to find a place to settle is making me a little reluctant to join the server. Are warps working yet? That would make it a bit easier to jump in.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-22, 02:14

There's still land in Bridgeport that's unsettled - just off behind Castle Bryson and next to the Money Bin is up for grabs. That's pretty safe to get to from the Spawn.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-22, 02:45

Plus there's that wide open sandy area behind the bar/community farm/redstone gallery that used to host a couple of mob traps. Both have been abandoned, leaving the area up for grabs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-22, 03:36

Not to mention the far end of Creeper's ville.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-22, 07:42

You guys know it's not about the stuff on the surface. You've scarred the earth far underground and I'd need to get far away to find some resources and good mines! But that's just me finding a reason not to play.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-23, 02:14

I hate to have to say this, but you guys need to reign in the distant exploration. Our world is now 112 MB, and the size of the world is now the key contributor to our performance issues. I've taken the added RAM away from the JVM and instead put the world folder onto a RAM disk. Lag appears to have been significantly reduced since doing so, but that now means we have a hard limit on the size of the world. That limit is 200 MB.

If you're considering going off to some new distant region to explore and set up camp, please keep in mind the strain you are putting on our resources. Later today I will go through another chunk deleting exercise and remove any sections of the map that appear to be only explored and not settled. If you're working in some underground complex away from any significant above-ground structures, let me know now or it may vanish without notice!

I'll be posting an updated map later as well.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-23, 02:55

I went exploring in Bridgeport and found Area 31. Brad knows what I mean.

Anyway, there's still tons of land in the area around the Spawn.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-23, 03:33

I'm in the area somewhat north-northwest from the tip of 709's northern tunnel from Chichen Itza II. That area should be fairly easily visible on the world map, given the construction on the top of the mountain and the sheer number of torches around it. Anything much past the torched area should be fair game for deletion - I'm not planning on going any further out than that.

¡Damned!

2011-01-23, 05:12

I have a mineshaft on the first leg of the Western Skyway that branches out close to bedrock. Give me until noon to clear some of the ore out in case some of it gets deleted. Also, my new project is above the water a little NW of the temple, so keep an eye out for that. Thanks!

[edit]: Done. You can strip away everything N and S of the Western Skyway as long as the main shaft stays intact (it's directly underneath the skyway, so it should).

[edit2]: Now that I think of it, I removed a structure that iJak had installed in the bay W of my place and S of the WS. MC physics being what they are, it left a big water hole. If that could be re-worked that would be nice, as I'm thinking about the bay for my next project. Actually I think everything from my place to Artheim Castle along the WS is uninhabited.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-01-23 at 14:29.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-01-23, 10:52

I'll pull in some of my markers to make it easier to see what is settled and what is not around my area. I definitely need to flag my Skellie Spawner as I don't want that to go away.

I'll pull everything back to the two mountains that will be used for the Ice Complex.

Done. Just ignore 1-2 torches in isolated pockets. The spawner cave as well as all caverns under my base are well lit with tons of torches, so you should be able to easily see them in order to not accidentally reset them. I built a small block house on the side of the mountain where the skellie cave pops out for your reference.

Hopefully the snow comes back on the outlying areas. :/

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2011-01-23 at 11:57.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-23, 17:49

Bonn: hope it's ok, but I went ahead and built a minecart launching mechanism at the Bridgeport station. It works (barely: the lag is pretty nasty) but right now it just dumps you in the tunnel near the Arena.

Feel free to modify or replace it if you had a superior booster design to use.

My next project is a mine in a new chunk somewhere: I want some Lapis!

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-01-23, 19:55

Dig deep under kitty hawk..

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-23, 20:02

That was my plan - it's close enough to my ranch. I'm assuming noone else has a mine under there: I know someone was quarrying for sand over there. Whoever that is: do you mind if I use your hut as the mine entrance?

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-01-23 at 20:22.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-01-23, 23:37

it's ijaks and he has a mine entrance nearby, but i do not believe it is active (and hasn't been raped).