User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 24 of 49 First Previous 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-24, 14:48

My trap has been heavily modified. I now have enclosed areas above the water that only have openings in the bottom so light can only come in from the bottom and mobs that spawn must fall down. When they do fall down they fall into the water and then get sucked below to drown.

Spiders seem to be immune to this though. They don't get sucked under and die. I end up shooting them with my bow and arrows.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

¡Damned!

2011-01-24, 14:55

Cool map view.

I think I'm going to take a break from circular maths for a bit and extend the skyway section that ends at iJak's place a little bit west. Maybe a bend south into the forest too. It may encourage development over in that area and also give me another way to get to Flaming Mtn. Anyone object?

Server has teh dead, btw.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-24, 15:10

I still can't work out why no-one goes South- West East of the Spawn. (Except me, it seems.) You'd think that the spawn would end up roughly central, but that's not the case at all.

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-01-24 at 15:18. Reason: I suck at directions

¡Damned!

2011-01-24, 15:15

Where are you on the map? Are you west of the Skyranch? Or is the farm yours?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-24, 15:16

Duh. I meant South East.

I am directionally challenged today. Yes, I'm the Farm and the Arena and the AN sign.

¡Damned!

2011-01-24, 15:20

Ah right. I thought the farm was yours.

AdventuristDru

2011-01-24, 15:35

Hey guys the guest thing is not letting me in. Is it not online, or am i just not allowed on?

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-24, 15:38

Pretty sure the server is down. Has been for an hour.

AdventuristDru

2011-01-24, 15:48

Oh.

AdventuristDru

2011-01-24, 16:00

Brad has not posted since late yesterday.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-24, 16:01

I imagine he's at work! Give him time...

AdventuristDru

2011-01-24, 16:03

Cool yeah. Good point.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-24, 16:07

Also, the Skycastle is basically done, and everyone should come visit and decorate because it's pretty barren.

AdventuristDru

2011-01-24, 16:09

Sounds neat.

arteggio

2011-01-24, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Also, the Skycastle is basically done, and everyone should come visit and decorate because it's pretty barren.
Where is this? Before teh crash earlier I was on looking at the new constructions. Jak's dome and 709's spaceship are coming along coolly, and the well-designed mob trap under the north part of the skyranch looks like it'll be pretty satisfying when it's done. Didn't get to anywhere else.

Is anyone building all the way north of the Temple? I thought about going up there but didn't want to bother myself with the distance for no reason...

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-24, 17:00

I've got my desert fortress slowly but surely going up due north of the temple (it's the tiny square at the right edge of the desert near the top of the map posted above). Pretty much anything in the surrounding area is open, as far as I know; just make sure not to wander too much further out, since we're trying to keep map size down now.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-24, 17:49

I sure wish someone would build Jack Frost University in the snowlands so that we could take classes to succeed in the world of AppleNovaLand...

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-01-24, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I sure wish someone would build Jack Frost University in the snowlands so that we could take classes to succeed in the world of AppleNovaLand...

Considering I'm currently out there building my Snow Castle and Ice Complex I wouldn't be that much of a stretch. However, I'm pretty sure Brad would sooner nuke my place from space in an effort to shrink the map down to size.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-24, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventuristDru View Post
Hey guys the guest thing is not letting me in. Is it not online, or am i just not allowed on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Pretty sure the server is down. Has been for an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I imagine he's at work! Give him time...
Server's back up now. It crashed at 14:22 ET.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-24, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Considering I'm currently out there building my Snow Castle and Ice Complex I wouldn't be that much of a stretch. However, I'm pretty sure Brad would sooner nuke my place from space in an effort to shrink the map down to size.
Well, it's the only way to be sure.

I have a lot of clay / brick to use up. (I guess it's not rare anymore!) Might be nice for a University Building.

Foj
Veteran Member

2011-01-24, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
That would be nice, but I think it would cause problems with laser apes spawning in the area.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-25, 00:27

A few of us have been discussing making a communal mob trap since each additional trap added to the map decreases the efficiency of all others when they are in use.

It turns out, through no great planning that the largely empty south-western underside of the sky ranch is exactly 144 blocks wide, which is the exact dimension (in one direction) required for maximally efficient mob trappage.

The trap need not be complex, perhaps a series of water ways better planned than what i have on my small developed section of the are under the skyranch (ie, no breaks between flows, intelligently incorporated drops yadda yadda) -- all leading to a central opening from which mobs fall to their demise in a well apportioned collecting chamber.

This would require lighting that area of the ground up and clearing out any cave systems beneath/clear cutting the remaining forest land.

Putting it under the ranch solves several problems at once and keeps it reasonably close to civilization.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-25, 00:58

I'm in on helping with the project when I can be there. I think it's a great idea personally. Who's gonna layout the plans so we can all follow along? Clear cutting is easy, as is torch laying.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

¡Damned!

2011-01-25, 04:51

I've started some new stretches of skyway that hopefully encourage some of the hesitant members to set up camp on virgin ground. I did some rough scouting beforehand and found some great areas to set up camp. There's a couple beautiful plains ripe for development, as well as a shit-ton of caves. Just some very minor spelunking turned up lots of coal and iron deposits close to the entrances. I took none, of course, hoping that fresh resources would entice people to call those areas home. Most look pretty deep and I heard my share of baddies living inside, so it should be fun (and lucrative).

Rough map of the new stretches:

iJak's biosphere is where it starts, heads towards my place, then turns south and branches out. You can see the skyranch from the eastern tip and Anchorage from the southern. All will have access to the ground when complete.

I've finished the stairway down to the ground from the hub, and the one to the west that leads to the desert area. It looks like someone has already set up a sand mine over there (the grey area lower-left... I'm guessing arteggio) so glass making won't be a problem. I'll get to the rest of the railings and steps sometime tomorrow.

It's a really nice area. If I wasn't balls-deep in UFO land I'd set up something there myself.

So it goes.

arteggio

2011-01-25, 08:37

I thought that stone cut-out in the sand looked odd when I saw it on the most recent map, but no, not mine. Never bothered travelling all the way into the desert down there.

Can't wait to see what pops along the expanded skyway though, being that there is a lot of fertile land out there.

¡Damned!

2011-01-25, 11:46

Huh. I figured it was yours, being so close to Anchorage and all. There's a stone building with a cobbled-up doorway that looks like it's there for safe haven at night and a few furnaces/empty chest.

Strictly a sand-mining operation from the looks of it. There's plenty there, either way.

So it goes.

AdventuristDru

2011-01-25, 14:27

So guys, I'm having a problem. I'm a guest so obviously I can destroy things and they come back. But if i try to open a door, it open's and i try to go through. And it glitches a bit then I'm standing right outside of the door. Any help?

Last edited by AdventuristDru : 2011-01-25 at 17:45.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-25, 14:56

That stone hut might be the one I was trying to find a week or so back. I wandered out to a desert somewhere back when we were using hMod, and had my home point set to there. When hMod went away, i never managed to find it again. At least I know where to look now.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-25, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
A few of us have been discussing making a communal mob trap since each additional trap added to the map decreases the efficiency of all others when they are in use.
I don't follow. Can you elaborate on this a little further? Is there something in the algorithm that limits the number of baddies spawned? How does one trap, all the way across the map, have anything to do with another trap?

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-25, 16:03

We need gates and trapdoors. Gates for aesthetic reasons, (doors in fences look weird) but trapdoors for functional reasons. Imagine the traps we could build with access to trapdoors!