Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

No internet for XP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No internet for XP
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 22:45

My brother is running a Sony Viao with XP. When be bought it it was running XP, he didn't like it much, so when his first HDD began to fail, he put 2000 on it. Earlier this week, he decided to go back to XP because of the problems he's been having with the system in general lately. He figured a fresh start would help things run more smoothly.

He was wrong.

He can no longer connect to the internet. He uses a wireless Belkin card that has worked flawlessly in the past, and still gets a signal from the netgear router, but gets no IP information. I can't really tell you more than this right now because I'm not in front of his computer, but he needs help. Anything that anyone can think of offhand that might be the problem?

Oh yeah, my constant pestering of him to get a Mac has finally paid off, but he needs the internet to go on the Apple store to order his PowerBook.

Come waste your time with me
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-29, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Oh yeah, my constant pestering of him to get a Mac has finally paid off, but he needs the internet to go on the Apple store to order his PowerBook.
Couldn't you bring over your powerbook and have him order his powerbook on yours? Only problem I can think of is that he installed the card wrong when he setup XP with the card.

giggity
thedustin

2004-07-29, 23:11

My girlfriend bought a brand-new Vaio last year after listening to her father, not me about going Apple. The same thing was happening w/ her wireless card; no internet. Somehow some random port was turned off and preventing her from connecting. My windoze geek friend fixed it after FOUR hours of troubleshooting. Luckily this was enough for her to take it back and get a 12" 867 PB. Not a SINGLE problem in a year. (cliche)

_thedustin
EmC

2004-07-29, 23:50

Does he use windows zeroconf, or is he using the belkin software to connect to the wireless network? Is WEP enabled? After reinstalling the OS is the wireless card showing up in network connections as such?

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
EDS66

2004-08-03, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
My brother is running a Sony Viao with XP. When be bought it it was running XP, he didn't like it much, so when his first HDD began to fail, he put 2000 on it. Earlier this week, he decided to go back to XP because of the problems he's been having with the system in general lately. He figured a fresh start would help things run more smoothly.

He was wrong.

He can no longer connect to the internet. He uses a wireless Belkin card that has worked flawlessly in the past, and still gets a signal from the netgear router, but gets no IP information. I can't really tell you more than this right now because I'm not in front of his computer, but he needs help. Anything that anyone can think of offhand that might be the problem?

It does sound like the problem with wireless settings. If Wired Equivalency Protocol (WEP) is enabled on the router, make sure that the wireless card is configured with the correct key/passphrase.

If the SSID is not broadcast by the router, make sure that the wireless card is configured with the correct SSID.

Also, check the firewall settings and turn it of if it's on; although, I don't think this is the cause of the problem.

And yes, make sure that if the Belkin card is not designed to work with Windows' Zero Wireless Configuration service, to disable the bloody thing (go to run and type services.msc and then find the service and disable it). Do this only if the Belkin card does not need the service, and I suspect it does not.
stoo

2004-08-03, 17:08

I'm currently having exactly the same problem with my Belkin 802.11g PCI card: I can connect to the router, but don't get an IP address (using DHCP). All of the other clients do work fine (mainly Macs). I have no idea what has changed: all was well until a week ago.

ipconfig /renew just sits there, never gets an IP address.

Edit: perhaps we should have a poll: Windows, Belkin (or user) to blame?

Last edited by stoo : 2004-08-03 at 17:21.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-03, 17:31

Is the belkin in the main USB port?
Madness

2005-05-18, 12:35

Hello, I have the same problem but it might help if I tell you that it stopped working since I installed service pack 2....
When I remove SP 2 I recieve an IP again...

Maybe someone has any idea why sp2 is messing things up....
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-05-18, 13:00

Well, SP 2 is supposed to be all about security. No internet at all is clearly the most secure optoin on Windows XP.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-05-18, 15:16

For my work laptop I use a Belkin USB F5D7050 802.11g adapter and I in fact had a problem as well after the SP2 update. I, however, uninstalled and reinstalled my Belkin software and set it to be used instead of the XP ZWC option. I did have to tinker with it a little, but it worked after getting the correct WEP key and SSID. The "Authentication Mode" setting was my biggest headache. "Open" is for normal WEP if I recall correctly. I normally use the LAN jack, but when out and about or even just don't want to sit at my office desk I use it and it works fine. I'm connecting to Linksys here at my home office.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.