AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

One More Thing …

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
One More Thing …
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-11-10, 23:45

So what's the AN verdict on the move to "integrated RAM" across the board?

Of course, it's been trending this way for a while. But I was hoping the AS Mini would allow RAM upgrades. I'm sure it's faster, but it works out to a price increase since you have to max the RAM at purchase and hope nobody develops new RAM-hungry tech for the two or three years of ownership.

So do we think they're going to do this with the iMac?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-11, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
At the end of the day the multi-core is what matters more for most applications today,
Hardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
so what's your point? We have no proof yet that the M1 beats Intel on single core either.
We virtually do. A 5W A14 already beats an 28W Tiger Lake-UP3, which is currently Intel's fastest at single core. An M1 will likely be faster.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-11, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
So what's the AN verdict on the move to "integrated RAM" across the board?
I wouldn't extrapolate "across the board" from yesterday's announcements. I don't think they'll do a SoC with 1.5 TiB RAM inside.

My guess is they focused on the M1 because it was fairly similar to the A14 in that it integrates the RAM on the SoC; a future M1X or whatever around springtime then adds support for external RAM chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Of course, it's been trending this way for a while. But I was hoping the AS Mini would allow RAM upgrades. I'm sure it's faster, but it works out to a price increase since you have to max the RAM at purchase and hope nobody develops new RAM-hungry tech for the two or three years of ownership.

So do we think they're going to do this with the iMac?
Keep in mind the higher-end Mac mini models haven't been replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if those offer features like 64 GiB RAM and 10GigE, like the current Intel model does, but they're waiting for a CPU to support that.

Quagmire
meh

2020-11-11, 08:48

Funny how all the complaints how Apple integrated the RAM into the M1 making it non-expandable was all in reference to the MBA and MBP. The RAM in those machines went soldered RAM long time ago.....

If you going to complain about the integration of the RAM.... At least complain about it on the one product that just lost being able to add third party RAM..... The Mac Mini. Not the laptops that haven't been able to add your own RAM for years now.

giggity

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-11, 11:16

True. At this point, except for the “pro” desktops, I expect everything to come welded shut, going forward...Air, mini, MBP and regular iMac.

I can also imagine the iMac Pro to going away and Apple allowing user upgradeable third-party RAM only in the Mac Pro. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

I have nothing concrete to base this on, but when has that ever stopped me?

But, seriously...just observation and seeing how things have shifted over the years.

And I wouldn’t mind this if everything above, say, $1,499 came with 16GB stock. In 2021, that isn’t asking too much, is it? If they want to make some BTO money on the Air, Mac mini and those two lower-end 13” MacBook Pro models, fine. But once you’re laying out $1,500+, you should expect a little more on that front.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-11, 12:19

Alright, you goons. One More Thing is now One Done Thing. There are threads for the new MacBook Air (Late 2020), new 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2020), new Mac Mini (Late 2020), and the M1. Let's continue the chatter over in those threads.

This thread has been locked for your convenience!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)