User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

The Apple Keyboard

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Apple Keyboard
ZogDog

2005-01-19, 00:25

You know what I just found out today? I really really like the Apple keyboard, it has volume control on it. I was over at my friends house working on his Windows based PC and we were listening to some tunes when I wanted to turn the volume up a bit, I went to hit the volume controls and uh, nothing.

Anyone else out there find simple things like this one of the reasons they like Apple or am I just overly ecstatic about a simple few buttons?

..::| www.zogdog.com |::..
CitizenTony

2005-01-19, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZogDog
You know what I just found out today? I really really like the Apple keyboard, it has volume control on it. I was over at my friends house working on his Windows based PC and we were listening to some tunes when I wanted to turn the volume up a bit, I went to hit the volume controls and uh, nothing.

Anyone else out there find simple things like this one of the reasons they like Apple or am I just overly ecstatic about a simple few buttons?
You're just overly exstatic about the buttons. Many "PC" keyboards offer functional volume and other various buttons. In fact, my Apple keyboard is missing the Firefox and Mail launcher buttons. But I like how the keys feel on it so I tend to use it on my PC too.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-19, 00:39

I know there are a lot of Windows keyboard that offer volume control. Hell, I've got a Logitech on my computer that has both a volume adjustment dial AND a mouse-like scroll wheel on the left side that I can use to adjust the volume. What I like about the Apple is that the buttons are placed in a logical area (rather than tacking on extra plastic to make room, Apple uses the space that's already available above the number pad). And they don't go overkill with the hotkeys. I never use the hotkeys on my Logitech. There are 18 extra buttons, as well as the scroll wheel and a volume dial. AND all the function keys are remapped to various tasks, and can be switched between normal and "enhanced" mode by using the F-lock. I never use any of that extra crap, other than the volume adjust and the play/pause/skip track buttons (which are very useful when iTunes is running in the background).

Anyway, this isn't a Mac vs. PC thing at all. It's an Apple vs. other input device makers thing. I think Apple has the right idea, and I simply can't stand how almost all keyboards these days are either barebones models without even a volume adjustment, or are laden with oodles of worthless function keys. But like I said, it has nothing to do with Windows or anything.
CitizenTony

2005-01-19, 00:51

The only thing I hate about my Apple KB is the - right next to the 9 on the num pad. I keep hitting the * instead. In Calculator, that really throws things off if you're not paying attention.

My non-Apple KB only had the two extra keys for internet and mail. I liked it but it was a ps2 style connector and was ready to retire. I have the black key version and can't seem to find the 'fn' key, it's only on the laptop kb.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-19, 01:21

yeah it would be nice if the fn key (and functions) were added to the desktop counterparts...
Tthx3

2005-01-19, 06:57

Speaking of keyboards... I have a question concerning localized keyboards. I just called a local Apple retailer here in Finland as I had some questions about the PowerBook line. I also asked if they knew anything about possible product updates but they didn't. They also said, that possible updates arrive here later than in the rest of the world as there's no local Apple store or representation and all the stuff is shipped through Sweden!?!?!

Well, I suppose if I use the Apple Store web store I can get the latest hardware. Or can I? Is it possible to get the Finnish/Scandinavian keyboard and a Finnish language version of the OS if I buy my laptop elesewhere? Well, actually I would only need the local keyboard but that would be very important and I couldn't do with US/international keyboard.

... I know, slightly off-topic but I didn't want to start a new thread.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-19, 13:58

I really like the apple keyboards too. They are, for the most part, solid, quiet, comfortable and they look good. I don't care all that much for a lot of the extended features found on many other keyboards. Some are very useful for sure, but many seem pretty superfluous to me.

That said, the absolute best keyboard I've ever used is the scissor action keyboard on the aluminum powerbooks. I type faster on it than any other, it's sufficiently quiet, comfortable, looks great, has a backlight, volume controls and everything. I've seen a full size version, made by macally I think, but I haven't tried it, I hope it's good, cause I would love to have a full sized keyboard like this.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-19, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZogDog

Like your example Zogdog. I find there are almost daily examples of little things that make Apple easier to use. Professionally, I use Windows XP with Lotus Notes and its crap. I look forward to coming home to the Mac. I like to think it's as Steve Jobs said, with Appple things just work. And I'm grateful for that.