AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Mac OS 11, aka, Big Sur

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OS 11, aka, Big Sur
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-23, 12:18

Lay it out there. Mac OS 11 has dropped. Discuss at your own peril!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-23, 12:44

I wonder how long they discussed, before finally rejecting, Craig making a "This one goes to 11" joke.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-23, 12:49

He was pretty serious for the most part because, well, jokes just aren't the same without a live audience. I watched Tom Hanks a few weeks ago on Saturday Night Live (Tom Hanks would be the only reason I would ever turn that crap fest on) and it was just … difficult. I know he wanted to be funny, but it just doesn't work without the audience.

Craig Federighi is usually a laugh-a-minute kind of guy, and I think he knew full well it wasn't gonna work, so he limited it to the getting high portion of the naming spiel.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-06-23, 23:15

Which I explained to my sons, they asked to re-watch that clip, and they thought it was a beautiful bit of trolling.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-24, 06:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
He was pretty serious for the most part because, well, jokes just aren't the same without a live audience. [..]

Craig Federighi is usually a laugh-a-minute kind of guy, and I think he knew full well it wasn't gonna work, so he limited it to the getting high portion of the naming spiel.
Yeah… he seems so much more natural and pleasant to listen to in front of a crowd. Kind of a bummer.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-06-24, 06:25

I honestly didn't expect the keynote format they used. I figured they would just do a no-audience with the usual on-stage method, and just look directly at closer cameras or something. The production quality was good, just not what I was thinking they'd do.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-24, 09:12

I thought the transitions were… a little corn. Maybe I'm too old for that. Maybe it's fine if they only do it this way once, as a fun special touch.

Tim and Craig were a tad too artificial in places. I think it'd have been nice to have less greenscreening.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-24, 10:15

This thing was filmed weeks ago. It was not "live".
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-06-24, 22:21

Yeah, that was my point. I was expecting a live no-audience keynote with the standard format.
noleli2

2020-06-25, 19:00

It’s great to see Safari’s tracker blocking getting better. I would love to use it, but almost none of the major privacy extensions I use in Firefox are available in Safari today (uBlock Origin is the one exception). I think support for the WebExtensions API will help, but the lack of containers is still a deal-breaker for me. Sigh, here’s hoping…
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-12, 16:18

12.16GB download! Holy crap that is huge. I'm going to have to make a flash drive installer for this one.

Oh, and 11.0.1 is the full initial release. We got to skip 11.0.0 apparently.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-12, 16:29

We've tried on two different systems today and both have failed.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-12, 16:31

I'm glad you've mentioned that. It is failing for me trying now too. I also had SSL issues trying to get Siri to give me directions home. I'm guessing there is a larger Apple backend issue right now.

Not necessarily related but both are issues right now:

Quote:
macOS Software Update - Issue
Today, 1:00 PM - ongoing
Some users are affected
Users may not be able to download macOS Software Updates on Mac computers. The issue is currently being investigated.
Quote:
Maps Routing & Navigation - Outage
Today, 3:00 PM - ongoing
Some users are affected
This service may be slow or unavailable.
Also, I have to add that it really forced me to think about where I was driving today. Remember that whole, we moved during the beginning of the pandemic so we haven't ventured out much since getting here. I don't have other map services installed on my devices... I did manage to get home though without the help of Siri.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-12, 16:51

It is a widespread thing. Maps are down, too.
chucker

2020-11-12, 17:08

I'm still really worried about the look & feel judging from screenshots.

I also can't/shan't install it because Time Machine has been failing to make backups for weeks, and I should make one proper backup before any system updates…
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-12, 18:42

I'm still on Mojave - everything just works (knock, knock). The only way I see me going to Big Sur (I just skipped Catalina completely) will be if it comes on a new Mac and I have no say-so in the matter.

Long gone are my days of wild abandon, doing the first-day-adoption thing without a care or worry in the world. Screw that. I'm too old and impatient to be chasing/battling crazy gremlins/bugs, wondering if/when my Mac turns into a commemorative brick, etc. Apple's track record in the past five years on these things is a bit too spotty for my comfort.

I'm content to stay with what's working, and I'll stick my toe in the water (maybe) on some rainy Saturday down the road when I have absolutely nothing better to do (and even then, I'll probably talk myself out it). I seem to have lost my sense of adventure and "oh, I can handle anything..." in recent years. Even with a backup and all, I just don't wanna deal with the hassle of a clean reinstall and fiddling with everything should turds hit the Lasko.

Mavericks was my last first-day thing, so...yeah. It, along with iOS 7, made me this way. I'm more of a 7-month adopter these days.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-12, 19:08

Well, I really don't want to install it on my primary systems right now. I'm actually going to put it in VMs for upgrading some of my servers.

I do want it on my personal machines... but not sure I'm ready for it yet either.

¡Damned!

2020-11-12, 19:15

I have a 2013 Air floating around that I'm going to throw it on just to see if I can deal with it enough to upgrade any of my more important machines. It looks fun and fresh and new, but I'm still a little wary.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-12, 19:31

The status page has updated and says all issues are resolved but I still can't get my MBP to download the update.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-11-12, 23:05

Not going to use this unless I get an ASM, no point right now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-13, 10:35

I don't know, the integrations with iCloud/iOS stuff seems really useful to me... I'm just not ready to make the production jump for my work machines.

Edit: I'm going to make my wife a guinea pig on this one. She has a 13" MBP (TouchBar, i5, 8GB) that is used for 18,000 or so tabs in Safari and 20,000 unread emails. It is the perfect candidate!

¡Damned!

2020-11-13, 10:48

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-13, 10:49

Big Sur seems to have changed the functionality of shift-click in the Finder to be the same as CMD-click. IE; If it's a big list and I click the first and then Shift-Click the last, it doesn't select all the ones in-between anymore. Is this a bug or an intended change?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-13, 10:53

Well that would be horribly obnoxious to me. The number of times I select a list like that is huge.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-13, 11:11

Ah, it seems it works in list view but not in icon view. Was it always like that?

Also, in Big Sur news, the new "Trash" sound is...complete trash.
chucker

2020-11-13, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Ah, it seems it works in list view but not in icon view. Was it always like that?

Also, in Big Sur news, the new "Trash" sound is...complete trash.
Well, icon view doesn't really have a notion of "first" or "last" items in a selection. It's the same in Catalina.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2020-11-15, 15:05

I went ahead and updated, since I can live off of my iPhone, iPad, and work computer for a few days if something had bricked my MacBook.

Pros:
  • Overall it's not much of a change from Catalina. The windows are more rounded, and the traffic light buttons have moved a bit, but it's still very Mac-like.
  • No major bugs so far.
  • Changed my Time Machine drive over to APFS, and it seems a lot faster so far.
  • There are some cool new dynamic desktops of cartoony landscapes around Big Sur.
  • Feature parity between Maps on iOS and macOS is really nice.
  • The new Control Center works really well to hide some of the rarely-used things that used to take up space in the menu bar most of the time.

Cons:
  • Safari windows are a lot lighter than they used to be. I keep thinking that my active window is in the background.
  • Some of the new icons are fine; others aren't so much. The Safari icon is just the old icon, but smaller and in a box.
  • Not much of a fan of the new sounds. Most of them don't sound like alerts.
  • There should be an option to bring back the always-visible folder proxy icon in the Finder.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-16, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
[*]Safari windows are a lot lighter than they used to be.
There is a "Reduce Transparency" setting in Accessibility/Display that may be the culprit.
chucker

2020-11-16, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
I went ahead and updated, since I can live off of my iPhone, iPad, and work computer for a few days if something had bricked my MacBook.

Pros:
  • Overall it's not much of a change from Catalina. The windows are more rounded, and the traffic light buttons have moved a bit, but it's still very Mac-like.
  • No major bugs so far.
  • Changed my Time Machine drive over to APFS, and it seems a lot faster so far.
  • There are some cool new dynamic desktops of cartoony landscapes around Big Sur.
  • Feature parity between Maps on iOS and macOS is really nice.
  • The new Control Center works really well to hide some of the rarely-used things that used to take up space in the menu bar most of the time.

Cons:
  • Safari windows are a lot lighter than they used to be. I keep thinking that my active window is in the background.
  • Some of the new icons are fine; others aren't so much. The Safari icon is just the old icon, but smaller and in a box.
  • Not much of a fan of the new sounds. Most of them don't sound like alerts.
  • There should be an option to bring back the always-visible folder proxy icon in the Finder.
One thing I'll add here is a Con, sort of: the installation experience was fairly poor. It took an eternity and walked me through multiple different UIs, including a very odd one that had a menu bar with the frontmost app "Language Choice" (or something), but no mouse cursor to actually interact with it. That UI had a little window with a progress bar that wasn't centered, and was seemingly stuck on about 3% for ten minutes, only to disappear entirely. I point this out not just because I was frightened of having bricked my computer, but because the working theory is that others were even more confused by this, so much so that they didn't let it keep running but instead shut it off and turn it back on, thereby bricking their device (because it was actually in the middle of a firmware upgrade).

Two things on the proxy icon: you can't bring it back forever, but as of 11.0.1, you can hold shift to skip the weird delay.

Second, you can disable the delay: defaults write -g NSToolbarTitleViewRolloverDelay -float 0

(via https://mjtsai.com/blog/2020/10/05/b...nt-proxy-icon/)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-16, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, icon view doesn't really have a notion of "first" or "last" items in a selection. It's the same in Catalina.
I guess I haven't tried it since then. Huh.