Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Can't burn CDs ....

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can't burn CDs ....
noone
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2008-05-31, 09:45

I searched but I cannot find that this problem has been discussed here before.

I am running OS 10.5.3 on a 1.5 Ghz 15” Powerbook G4 with 1GB DDR SDRAM.

I use three accounts, one an admin account, the other two non-admin. I now have the curious problem that when I insert a blank CD while running either ot the two non-admin accounts, I get the usual Message “You have inserted a blank CD …”, but when I insert it while running the admin account, I get the message “The operation could not be completed because you do not have enough access privileges".

I have tried everthing I could think of: permission repair, resetting PRAM, resetting nvram and all (apple-alt-OF), reinstalling the system and in the end cloning the HD onto an external CD (with firewire), reformatting the HD, installing 10.5.1 followed by 10.5.3 – with a new admin user -and then migrating the old accounts back onto the HD. Result: I still can’t burn CDs when using the old admin account (it works fine with the new admin account and the two non-admin ones), but I don’t relish moving everything across (and perhaps get further problems with permissions).

Just now I tried something else – I inserted the CD while runniing the new admin account, then switched user – The usual “You inserted a blank CD…” message appeared. I then switched to the old admin account. The CD still kept spinning for a while, but no icon for the CD appeared on the desktop, and no message either...

I would be most grateful for any ideas how to fix this.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-05-31, 17:55

10.5 seems to have some issues with permissions, I had the same thing happen to me with dashboard. The only solution was a new account.