Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Anyone tried this keyboard....

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone tried this keyboard....
gjas15

2005-08-17, 05:17

The logitech mx5000

I've been looking for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This setup looks really cool, but I wonder how well it works without proper drivers. If anyone here has had experience with i'd love to hear it. This thing even uses bluetooth 2.0 just like my powerbook so that means 60' range!

Nevermind it was just released today so i guess no one could have experience with it

At least what do you think... and is there anychance some pioneering soul out there would try to write drivers for this thing?

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-08-17 at 05:28.
StevesMom

2005-08-17, 06:39

Newer Logitech keyboards don't seem to come with Mac support - nothing annoys me more than not having a "UK English" keymapping in OS X for the PC-based keyboard in front of me. It means I have to manually remember to swap the " key for the @ key, as the keyboard never matches what's displayed on-screen properly. This is why I stuck to Apple keyboards, despite having the *reverse* problem in Virtual PC

Microsoft keyboards, in my limited experience, are all like this. Older Logitech keyboards get good Mac support, but the newer ones don't seem to.

I just wish someone would produce good Mac drivers for PC keyboards with proper keyboard layouts. There are several "build-your-own" keyboard layout file programs available, but all of them are completely arcane and too difficult to use for most people (certainly too difficult to use by me).

</rant>
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-17, 06:45

StevesMom:

Does that problem persist when changing the software keyboard layout in System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu to the British layout?
gjas15

2005-08-17, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesMom
Newer Logitech keyboards don't seem to come with Mac support - nothing annoys me more than not having a "UK English" keymapping in OS X for the PC-based keyboard in front of me. It means I have to manually remember to swap the " key for the @ key, as the keyboard never matches what's displayed on-screen properly. This is why I stuck to Apple keyboards, despite having the *reverse* problem in Virtual PC

Microsoft keyboards, in my limited experience, are all like this. Older Logitech keyboards get good Mac support, but the newer ones don't seem to.

I just wish someone would produce good Mac drivers for PC keyboards with proper keyboard layouts. There are several "build-your-own" keyboard layout file programs available, but all of them are completely arcane and too difficult to use for most people (certainly too difficult to use by me).

</rant>
This is one of those days I wish I had learned how to program. Id jump all over this. Maybe when I transfer to UAT Ill make it project or something... I have to take a few programming classes on the way to my major.
SlackerDX

2005-08-18, 13:23

This thing would be pretty sweet if all of its features were OS X compatible. I think I'll get a BT Apple keyboard and wait for the BT Mighty Mouse. I think it will cost a lot less than $200, it will be fully featured, and, of course, it will look pretty.
StevesMom

2005-08-18, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
StevesMom:

Does that problem persist when changing the software keyboard layout in System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu to the British layout?
Yes, of course it does, even I'm not that dumb

The British layout for keyboards swaps keys around compared to the US keyboard and it's been a long-time problem for us poor Britishers.

Although I notice with interest that Microsoft has just put up a .dmg for all its keyboards with British/French/German layouts which can be installed separately to the IntelliType software to supplement the US English standard layout. I don't own a Microsoft keyboard, but I can only applaud Microsoft for building these layouts and in all honesty it's drawing me toward actually buying a Microsoft keyboard -- if only they weren't so clunky