User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The most hated 2 frames in star wars: a new hope (special edition)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The most hated 2 frames in star wars: a new hope (special edition)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-18, 19:43

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-18, 19:54

Heh. Yeah, that was about as stupid as removing the guns from the federal agents in E.T.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-18, 19:58

it was dumber, but i won't start now.

art jrk

2004-08-19, 08:32

Why are they hated so much? And I do remember the scene.

art jrk

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-19, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by art jrk
Originally, Han shot Greedo *first*. That makes Han a badass.

In the Special Edition remake, Greedo fired first and Han second, making Han's shot "self defense" and making Han a total loser.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-19, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally, Han shot Greedo *first*. That makes Han a badass.

In the Special Edition remake, Greedo fired first and Han second, making Han's shot "self defense" and making Han a total loser.
Lame. I think the kids of South Park had the right idea when they stole the movies from Lucas & Spielberg.

What next, will Spielberg remake a kindler, gentler version of Schindler's List?

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-08-19, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by art jrk

art jrk
Glad I was not the only one lost in the wilderness

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-19, 10:34

Han HAD to shoot Greedo first...he was going to get it otherwise!

Crap like this just irks me. Not majorly, but just enough to make me do this to Lucas.

Knucklehead.

You can't go and weinee up Han Solo! He IS a bad-ass and I'd like to think that he'd shoot almost anyone first, right or wrong.

Unfortunate that the guy that played him has become such a boring, gruff old fart. I'm hoping they DON'T make a fourth Indiana Jones movie, because I can't buy that crag-faced, silver-haired coot doing much more than sitting at a desk, looking at artifacts.

dmz

2004-08-19, 10:50

If that's the case...shouldn't have Old Ben have waited until the guy with "the death sentece on twelve systems" wacked off a couple of Luke's limbs before firing up 'ol sparky?

When the Christian faith is not only felt, but thought, it has practical results which may be inconvenient.
-- T. S. Eliot, "The Idea of a Christian Society"

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-19, 11:36

At least it ain't bloody Jar Jar.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-19, 11:49

I would have thought that the whole Star Wars franchise was so f*cked up by The Fandom Menace and, especially, The Attack of the Colognes that nobody would really care at this point. (Mind you, I still find Natalie Portman to be fairly hot, although not at her best those movies. Not hard to look at even there, though.)

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-19, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Unfortunate that the guy that played him has become such a boring, gruff old fart. I'm hoping they DON'T make a fourth Indiana Jones movie, because I can't buy that crag-faced, silver-haired coot doing much more than sitting at a desk, looking at artifacts.

they ARE making it, but from what I understand, harrison won't be the lead. He'll still be indiana, but he'll be mentoring his successor, who will do most of the heavy lifting for the role. But I could be completely wrong.

Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-19, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I would have thought that the whole Star Wars franchise was so f*cked up by The Fandom Menace and, especially, The Attack of the Colognes that nobody would really care at this point. (Mind you, I still find Natalie Portman to be fairly hot, although not at her best those movies. Not hard to look at even there, though.)
I still really enjoy the original trilogy, I watched them the other day, and they are still just as fantastical as when I was a kid. Some SE moments still make me cringe a little bit, but the story as a whole, the characters, the fantasy aspect. It's still very entertaining.

Of the prequels, the phantom menace is just pure unwatchable. Of it, I think you could pick out 20-30 minutes of good, star wars, scenes, the rest was just fluff. oh well, apparently they are going to put out an SE phantom menace when they release the 6 dvd super set, maybe they'll alleviate some of the major offenses(though jar jar is here to stay

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-19, 13:50

I saw Attack Of The Clones just about a week ago, for the first time. It was slightly better than the Phantom Menace, but that's not really saying much. Anakin turned from a whiny little brat to a whiny sullen teenager. The "love story" between him and Amidala made me cringe. And the 3D effects were... well, absolutely terrible. I have a hard time believing that this movie was new just about two years ago. Same year as Fellowship Of The Ring! So why did it look so incredibly fake? LOTR looked pretty fake too, but it was still far better than anything I saw in AOTC. It was especially bad whenever they had one of the characters taking a ride on a beast of some kind. Just... wow. A disgrace to the Star Wars franchise.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-19, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I still really enjoy the original trilogy, I watched them the other day, and they are still just as fantastical as when I was a kid. Some SE moments still make me cringe a little bit, but the story as a whole, the characters, the fantasy aspect. It's still very entertaining.

Of the prequels, the phantom menace is just pure unwatchable. Of it, I think you could pick out 20-30 minutes of good, star wars, scenes, the rest was just fluff. oh well, apparently they are going to put out an SE phantom menace when they release the 6 dvd super set, maybe they'll alleviate some of the major offenses(though jar jar is here to stay
Well I guess I still have a soft spot for the original trilogy too, but that is based somewhat just on having being impressed with them as kid. I have to admit that, seeing them again, they don’t really hold up all that well in the long haul for me, and that is not just because the special effects are a bit dated. (I also think that the special effects are far from being the only problem in the new 'prequels'.) By general comparison regarding old sci-fi shows, I find that the original Star Trek and the ideas underlying many of those old shows hold up pretty well, despite the terrible special effects, by today’s standards, and the wooden acting. Maybe that comparision is 'apples to oranges', but I guess the bottom line is that I just am not all that much of a Star Wars fan anymore, but I still like the Trek.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2004-08-19, 17:11

you guys are missing the worst part about that scene in the "new and improved version" not only did greedo shot first, but he also missed han by a foot if not more? what kind of bounty hunter could miss by that much at that range??

Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-19, 17:12

I don't consider Star Wars Sci-fi, not at all. For me, Sci-fi at least tries to explain or rationalize it's science, it is often based in the truth, or on essentially plausible theories of today. Or, they at least consult with futurists and come up with a speculative look at what the future of science, or the possibilities of science have in store for us.

Star wars does none of this, they disregard physics and science happily because that would hinder that story. Aliens, blasters and space ships != sci-fi. There is very little Sci-fi about Star wars, particularly when they have the construct of "the force" which is, for practical purposes, magic, that can be a write off for any number of discrepancies(relevant simpsons quote: nerds talking to lucy lawless about discrepancies in Xena, "what about episode gf8-" "magic wizards" "I see, what about episode-" "magic wizards" "and episo-" "magic wizards" )

When removed from the idiom of science fiction, star wars holds up quite well as an adventure/fantasy film. And I still love it

Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-19, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
you guys are missing the worst part about that scene in the "new and improved version" not only did greedo shot first, but he also missed han by a foot if not more? what kind of bounty hunter could miss by that much at that range??
"Not as clumsy and random as a blaster..."

It's established early on that blasters aren't very accurate, and that even a top shooter at close range could probably miss.

Coupled with "the force" (see my prior post) Which has been unbalanced towards evil and is in the process of balancing it back, "the force" is "with" the good guys and against the bad guys. That writes-off all the blaster discrepancies.

relevant family guy scene: at the shooting range, the stormtrooper is shooting at a cut-out luke and hits everywhere BUT on target.

Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-08-19, 19:08

One of my favorite quotes, though I don't know who said it:
"Who would win in a battle between the Star Trek red shirts, who die within the first minute of any battle, and the Star Wars Storm Troopers, who can't hit the broad side of a barn?"

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-19, 19:27

No.
Stormtroopers vs The A-Team.
Pity da foo who buys de bullets.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-19, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan
One of my favorite quotes, though I don't know who said it:
"Who would win in a battle between the Star Trek red shirts, who die within the first minute of any battle, and the Star Wars Storm Troopers, who can't hit the broad side of a barn?"
But if you want to know... it's been done

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2004-08-19 at 19:47.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-19, 20:50

You guys realize that if the Imperial stormtroopers could shoot worth a damn, "Star Wars" would've been about 8 minutes long.

They would've never made it out of Mos Eisley, but even if they did, then they would've never made it out the Death Star alive.

You've got a guy putting Turtle Wax on the underside of the Millennium Falcon, not even expecting trouble, and a squad of troopers show up and manage to shoot nothing but the landing skids and the wall on the opposite side of the hangar. Nice. Han was probably hung over, but he draws his gun and kills half of them while running in the opposite direction.

I need to watch that movie someday and count exactly how many shots those idiots did indeed miss. Meanwhile Leia can hold a blaster at hip level (not even aim) and is suddenly an intergalactic Annie Oakley, hitting every trooper on that ledge above her and Luke who dares to show his face.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-19, 21:21

See, that's the thing. The stormies only suck against the main characters, who all have auras of protection around them. Against no-names, they rock. Remember the very first scene of Star Wars? How you see the group of Rebel soldiers get ready, and the camera zooms in on one of them and you think he might be important? Well, the Rebels all get killed, including that maybe-might-be-important guy. They manage to take down three or four Stormtroopers. When was the last time you saw a Star Trek redshirt take down any enemy, even a generic no-name one? Never, that's when. Obviously they couldn't beat someone like, for example, Khan, but pit some redshirts against a generic monster and they still lose.

Like many of the people who commented on that particular grudge match said, the Stormtroopers would shoot each other nearly as much as the ensigns, but they'd still eventually win.

That site is fun, this week's match is Tribbles vs. PacMan!

Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-20, 08:46

Quote:
I don't consider Star Wars Sci-fi, not at all. For me, Sci-fi at least tries to explain or rationalize it's science, it is often based in the truth, or on essentially plausible theories of today. Or, they at least consult with futurists and come up with a speculative look at what the future of science, or the possibilities of science have in store for us.

Star wars does none of this, they disregard physics and science happily because that would hinder that story. Aliens, blasters and space ships != sci-fi. There is very little Sci-fi about Star wars, particularly when they have the construct of "the force" which is, for practical purposes, magic, that can be a write off for any number of discrepancies(relevant simpsons quote: nerds talking to lucy lawless about discrepancies in Xena, "what about episode gf8-" "magic wizards" "I see, what about episode-" "magic wizards" "and episo-" "magic wizards" )

When removed from the idiom of science fiction, star wars holds up quite well as an adventure/fantasy film. And I still love it
Maybe that’s why I am not all that enthusiastic about Star Wars anymore. I like sci-fi, and its not sci-fi. Instead, it’s a ‘comic-book’ action adventure flick and those things tend to be more fun when you are a kid.

On the other hand, I still like the 3 Indiana Jones movies, which I admit are in the ‘comic-book’ action adventure category. I find that they still hold up pretty well, especially #1 and #3. I think the difference, though, is that those movies are played for fun, to a large extent. There is also a bit of underlying ‘sexiness’ to them. Meanwhile, I find that Star Wars takes itself pretty seriously. I think if you are going to do that, then the movie should have something more substantial behind it. And Star Wars is pretty asexual too. I admit that I would like to see Nathalie take her clothes off, but there is never really any underlying tension about it (even if the plot in the prequels is fundamentally based on the fact that she got-it-on with the young Darth).

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-08-20, 09:16

Quote:
I don't consider Star Wars Sci-fi, not at all.
It's clearly a spaghetti western with different sets. Seriously, it is!

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-08-20, 09:48

Hasn't this point been made before?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-20, 10:09

Repeatedly. EpIV is actually quite close to Kurosawa's The Fortress too.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-08-20, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
It's clearly a spaghetti western with different sets. Seriously, it is!
Yo!

I thought everyone knew already that Star Wars was a blatant rip off of a Japanese Anime series called 'LensMan'.

Han Solo was the only thing worth watching it for and it is a shame that Harrison Ford who was a chippy on the original pre-production set and got the roll by accident didn't go back to chippying after the second Indianna Jones movie!!

Personally George Lucas is a pretty stupid fat guy who got lucky.. Another piece of interesting trivia is that he makes more money off law suits than he ever has out of Star Wars. Well that is not strictly true... They are law suits against people for infringing Star Wars patents and copyrights so you could argue he is making his money from Star Wars!

One annoying story that springs to mind is that his 'team' of legal harpies found that a leg component (read that again - component) in a childs glue together yourself model closely resembled a component of one of the legs in one of his walkers... He had the company sued and the models withdrawn... What a git!

Cheers,
scratt.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-20, 10:44

Link? I know you're one to believe... many things you read.

While I agree that Lucas is a pretty sad creature, I question the validity of your accusations.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-08-20, 11:41

Hi Luca..

Not sure exactly what you mean... anyway! ;-)

Wow! I thought this stuff was common knowledge...

E. E. Smith wrote the Lensman series in the 1940's and 1950's.
It was also made into a anime series... but few dispuit that George nabbed more than just the force concept from Lensman. If you want me to I will go get you links but there are so many...

Just do a google search on Lensmand and StarWars and you will get more links than you can handle.

I presume no one doubts the Harrison Ford getting the job story.. but I have no links as that I read in the newspaper I think years ago and it was repeated as an anicdote many times..

The law suits again were common knowledge back in the LucasFilm heigh days... I read an article in Newsweek about his frivilous law suits.. That was before I even used Google!! But I will hunt for links...

Some of these are fun...
http://lawgeek.typepad.com/lawgeek/2..._lucas_pu.html
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lawsuits&hl=en

I will come back with more later...

You will get the general idea.. He is dispised in legal circle for his hippocracy...
All the best,
scratt!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt