The JonBenet Ramsey murder arrest

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The JonBenet Ramsey murder arrest
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-08-18, 08:30

I saw pics of this guy this morning. My impression? CREEPY as hell. He has anti-social personality disorder written all over him. These hard core cases are those guys without souls. They're not common, thankfully, but they are as close to *evil* as you'll ever see. Even if he didn't do it, he should be put away because he's done *something*.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-18, 09:02

I think the reports said he was already in trouble for "sexual-based offenses" there in Thailand (gee, you think?).

A place like that is probably like a buffet table to some guys. I've heard of actual planned, organized trips (through shady, low-rent companies) where guys go over to places like that, strictly for the "underage experiences".

This guy says he drugged Ramsey, but the reports say the autopsy showed no evidence of drugs in her system. And late last night, driving home, I heard they were getting a DNA sample from this genius to compare it to material from the crime scene. I guess that'll be a pretty open/shut determiner...either he is or he isn't.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-08-18, 09:09

I think Thailand is trying to clean up that image, though. They made Mr Glitter pay for it, anyway...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-18, 09:23

Nice user title, Bryson.

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-08-18, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
I think he's a hoaxer.
I think so, too. But as 'scates said, once the DNA results are in, that should pretty much lock it up, one way or the other.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-08-18, 09:53

I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and the BBC had an interview with some American (lawyer?) involved in this case. The BBC reporter was going on about why on earth America was so obsessed with this case when 800 other children were murdered in the US in 1996, hardly concealing her disgust for "news" of this nature. But the American's response was devastating, and I paraphrase: "In the last few days I've done interviews with the BBC, with British newspapers, with media in Australia: this is not an American obsession, the whole world is obsessed with this story." How the irony of this escaped the attention of the BBC presenter who was actually interviewing someone about the story is beyond me, but it drove home a point: the whole world is fucking crazy. I do not give a flying fig about a decade-old murder, and why should I? There have been about a zillion murders since 1996, and a few million other issues of far more importance than any one murder. I really cannot stand this kind of sensationalised story, and have no idea how the BBC can justify dealing with it as a matter of public interest.

I would ask "who cares?" but it seems that half the bloody population cares. So my question instead is: why care?
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-08-18, 10:25

I think there are a couple of things that make this story attention getting. It happened during the holidays. The child was killed in her home while her family was home. It challenged the notion that bad things don't happen in upper-middle-class suburbs. This family was very involved in the creepy world of pageants. The suggestion that the investigators mishandled the case also adds to the intrigue.

These are the reasons that people care so much as I see it. It really plays on the paranoia of the American family. I feel that anytime a child meets an end this bad we as a society need to figure out what went wrong in hopes of preventing or discouraging it next time. What kind of people would we be if when one of our children is murdered we just glossed it over?

Maybe the problem isn't the great amount of attention that this case is getting, but the dirth of attention focused on similar cases that are perpetrated against similar less advantaged children.

Who knows?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-08-18, 10:25

I think it's a little ass-backwards to complain that people shouldn't be interested in this story. They should be. Not over 800 other child murders, but just as interested in all of them. It wouldn't be nearly as much of a story anyway if a. the girl weren't some little beauty pageant contestant and b. her parents didn't handle this whole thing so skeezily from day one.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-08-18, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
It wouldn't be nearly as much of a story anyway if a. the girl weren't some little beauty pageant contestant and b. her parents didn't handle this whole thing so skeezily from day one.
True enough. I'm always disgusted when I hear, in passing, on the local news that a young black child was sexually assaulted killed by an unknown assailant... and then we never hear about it again. Ever. While a 23-year-old white NYU student is killed after a night of partying at clubs and it becomes the front-page story in the papers for the next month.

It's only when the beautiful people are directly affected that it becomes a "story".

***Note, I am not saying that the 23-year-old NYU student's murder is trivial or unimportant, or in any way less tragic. But the attention of one crime in relation to the other is what disgusts me.

On a sober, and yet tangentally related note, a four of the five members of a Queens family were killed in a road accident on the NJ Turnpike earlier this week. The only survivor was a four-year-old daughter. Tragic. The very next day, a young man I know was killed in a car accident within a half-mile of the spot of the prior day's accident. He was 37, and left behind a wife and three kids aged between 4 years old and 18 months. he leaves them at a time that they were gutting the house, so the family is living in a hotel. I didn't want the story to be sensational news - we all just want to grieve and remember him respectfully. Still, on some level it really bothered me that in every headline story I read about my friend's death, his story ended up simply becoming a pretext to talk more about the Queens family.

Last edited by Engine Joe : 2006-08-18 at 10:36.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-18, 11:04

That's the news biz. Tragedy, horror, perversion, idiocy and nuttiness "sells". Gets the ratings, the watercooler talk, the message board chatter , etc.

A couple of my local channels are notorious (it's a running joke among so many of us) at those fear-mongering "eye on safety" special reports, where everything is filmed and narrated in a horribly sinister manner, designed to scare the living shit out of anyone watching it ("Is your child one vitamin away from death?" and "What you need to know about what's in your backyard...it could kill you").

Crap like that, ALL the time. They promo it to death, and you get the sense they're all standing around after the broadcast, high-fiving each other for such "good work".

Bloodsuckers, I call them.

The news is all bad, rotten stuff. Sit down tonight at 6:00 and watch your local news: the first 5-10 minutes will be shootings, fires, kidnapping, robberies, rapes, child abuse, elder abuse, missing children, plane crash, train wreck, suicide, etc. Then, after sports and weather, they'll devote perhaps 6-8 seconds to a report about a blind guy who pulled a little girl from a swollen creek - with his one good arm - and saved her life (and her puppy too). Like that magically makes up for the preceding 22 minutes of horror, bullcrap, inaccurate weather forecast and tired baseball highlights and updates of Terrell Owens' latest antics.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-08-21, 22:32

Some perspective. I don't like to link to my political blogs here, but it seemed apropos.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-08-21, 22:57

My most favorite bit about this whole case was the mangled reports of what the Thai Police had and had not said about his 'confession'. Anyone who lives in Thailand knows how confusing dealing with officialdom is here. That just made me laugh and laugh.

'No No he say guilty?'
'Guity'
'Yes'
'He say? Guilty'
'No'
'No No he not say. No say.'
..and so on..

The next best bit was the (Crazy like a) Fox News people getting all outraged that he was drinking Champagne, watching MIIII, and sitting in business class. What ever happend to the 'Innocent until proven guilty' thing? As far as anyone in the US should be concerned, this guy is a US citizen, who has been deported for a minor Visa violation (not extradited), and has admitted nothing, and is entitled to the full protection of the law, and due process...

In between racing this weekend, and my sore ribs from said racing, Fox News did not help me get any less sore in the rib area at all! They are a comedy channel, right?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2006-08-21 at 23:04.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-21, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
I think Thailand is trying to clean up that image, though. They made Mr Glitter pay for it, anyway...
'erm.. That was somewhere a little further north actually.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-21, 23:07

Am I the only one that thinks that the kind of show girl parading the parents had this little girl do is wierd too..

I am not justifying in any way what this guy may, or may not, have done..
But I think that this kind of show with girls of that age, is not only soul destroying and freakish, but also apt to attract exactly the kind of twisted people it obviously does...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-22, 06:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Some perspective. I don't like to link to my political blogs here, but it seemed apropos.
If you say so...
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-08-24, 10:04

John Mark Karr was instructed to kill JonBenet by Howard Stern

Really cool.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-24, 10:12

That guy has managed to call in on all kinds of shows.

It's amazing the how many times he's gotten past screeners and on to live TV to drop a "baby-booey" and leave the host holding their dick. Sounds like it's not incredibly hard to do.

I'm pretty much for anything that rattles or embarrasses one of these cable news dorks. I've been calling, trying to wreck Nancy Grace's show, for months now...
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-08-24, 10:20

Quote:
When you see something like that ....

Thanks for sharing it.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-24, 12:29

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link.

I always feel just ill when I read about *any* of the soldiers who have died, male or female.

It's such an incredible waste of all those hopes and dreams that reside in each human being.

I feel that way about all those who die (civilians and soldiers) in any of the stupid wars throughout history.

Including the horses.

So much suffering... and for what?

Power. Land. Resources.

It makes me sick.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-08-28, 14:48

ABC is reporting DNA doesn't match.

Hoaxer.

no web article yet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-28, 14:54

Man...you called that a week ago (or more?).

What's this guy's deal? Wasting everyone's time, and stirring up the family's emotions this way? Takes a special kind of lowlife to pull that.

Charge him with felony asshattery and give him some jail time anyway.

Oh, and allow me to predict: this douche will be on some Dateline or 20/20 interview within a week or so. It'll be hyped to high heaven, too, with the "serious tinkling piano music" in the promos and the whole bit. And this moron will get another huge dose of the attention he obviously craves.

I'd give $5,000 to see Matt Lauer or Stone Phillips reach over and smack him as hard as he could, on camera.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-08-28, 14:56

Here's all I could find (so far).
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-08-28, 14:58

Or is dyeing for. I hate to be morbid but he looks like he hasn't much longer to go. I wonder if the family knew this wasn't the guy what with some of the comments the father made (and no that isn't pointing a finger at the father).

Anyway it seems to me someone needs help.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-28, 14:58

Now it's the big "breaking headline" story on CNN.com...here we go again. For the rest of the day, all evening long and perhaps the next or so, it'll be wall-to-wall coverage of this jerk.

All the evening shows (O'Reilly, Greta van Susteren, Nancy Grace, Hannity & Colmes, Larry King, the ones on MSNBC and CNBC that nobody watches, etc.) will have to scramble and rearrange their show, to give this idiot top billing.

SKMDC

2006-08-28, 15:00

What better way to intertwine your twisted obsession with JonBenet.
He will no be forever linked to her in spite of the fact that he had nothing to do with her.
he's stalking her, even though she's dead.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
SKMDC

2006-08-28, 15:04

When the story broke Patsy Ramsay's sister cautioned everyone to wait and see how this guy's story played out. She cautioned the media (she had inside dope from investigators) but no one listened. I saw it on a tiny sidebar in the paper on page 10.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-28, 15:13

Well that's even worse: because, just like with the Katrina aftermath, Dan Rather's story about Bush's Air Guard records and a few more recent stories, we'll have to watch the news media go through a self-ordered "soulsearching" period...in other words, they'll quit talking about this dickhead and, instead, run endless shows and segments on how they "rushed to judgement", "gave this guy the attention he wanted", "acted in haste", "dropped the ball", etc. They do this a few times a year: really drop a ball or two, then beat everyone else over the head about how great they are to "recognize" that fact. And then proceed to drive everyone crazy with some staged self-flagellation for a few days or weeks. They'll "get serious" and "re-examine their practices" and all that kind of talk.

It'll be a "national dialogue of great importance".

Then, of course, they're right back to the exact same buffoonery the minute the next "big story" breaks. All the contrite, "we're really jackals, aren't we...we should strive to do better" posturing is forgotten and immediately goes out the window the minute Angelina Jolie announces her ascension to heaven to serve as co-God beside Bono or whatever.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-08-28 at 15:57.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-08-28, 15:39

Paul, you know, the most telling clue I had was way back when I was a young'un living with my dad. He subscribed Times and it was the time when Clinton was caught lying. You probably know that Times has a "Winner & Loser" sidebar in first few pages. That issue (I think the cover had Clinton supposedly look remorseful) had Losers as Clinton, Lewinsky, Starr and other people. In the Winner column, it first said "No one. Whole nation suffered." Next paragraph, it says "Okay, we're really the winners. and boy, are we having a field day with it!"

Basically destroyed my faith in media from that day.

BTW, I want to go on the record that the cover of Clinton isn't supposed to be remorseful. My friends and I were in agreement that he was more of sorry that he won't get that good blowjob ever again.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-08-28, 20:46

D.A. Drops Charges Against Karr

Quote:
"If Mr. Karr's account of his sexual involvement with the victim were accurate, it would have been highly likely that his saliva would have been mixed with the blood in the underwear," Lacy said in the court papers.
Excuse me while I vomit.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-28, 20:47

Scoot over and make room for me too...

Does he get in any trouble at all for this? Making false claims or something? Surely he doesn't just get away clean for wasting everyone's time like this?