User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

What AppStore apps live on your iPhone home screen?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What AppStore apps live on your iPhone home screen?
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Gizzer

2008-07-22, 05:36

Ok, I "borrowed" this idea from TUAW, but I thought it would be a good topic to discuss.

I'm guessing most iPhone owners have been on an AppStore frenzy since it went live. I for one now have four screens worth of icons, where I only had two screens before the launch (web shortcuts as well as Apps).

But more importantly: Have any third party applications been good enough to make it to your main Home screen (ie screen 1)?

I have 3 that are worthy:

1. "Remote". Such a neat application. Slick and Apple-like (funny that). A great example of seamless wi-fi interaction. (My personal request would be to have Remote work as a receiver too so that iTunes could stream music from the main library to the iPhone).

2. "My Lists". A simple ToDo list manager that is extremely easy to use (even my wife uses it), but looks nice as well. Could do with a tad more functionality (maybe alarms or setting a priority). But great all the same.

3. "Splash ID". My Killer App. I've been using this application for years. First on Palm, then Windows Mobile, now my iPhone. Basically use it to manage all your passwords, bank account details, credit cards, web log-in's etc. The desktop client syncs wirelessly over Wi-Fi too which makes it even more seemless. I would quite literally be lost without it.

That's all for now. I'm sure I will find more apps that make it to Screen 1 (I have a couple that reside right at the top of screen 2 which almost made the cut ).

How about the rest of you? Give a list of apps that made it to Screen 1 plus a short description of what it does....
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-22, 07:45

Twitterriffic
Facebook
Super Monkey Ball
MLB At Bat

chromos

2008-07-22, 09:20

Remote (although I wish it would interface with Front Row as well)
OmniFocus
Google (but to be honest I really haven't touched it much)

Speaking of multiple screens, I wish there were the option of setting the home screen as close to the middle of the screen collection as possible. I want to create more screens (I have 3 now), but don't want to have to swipe all the way to the right to get there.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-22, 10:50

None.

All of my App Store apps live on the second and third screen.

I'm just so used to the screen without them all, that it looks weird to me with something else on there.

So I made the decision to move App Store.app and everything else over to the other screens. I like it better that way.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-07-22, 10:55

App Store
WeatherBug (replaces the weather widget)
Twitterific
Pandora
eReader
Remote
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-22, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
None.

All of my App Store apps live on the second and third screen.

I'm just so used to the screen without them all, that it looks weird to me with something else on there.

So I made the decision to move App Store.app and everything else over to the other screens. I like it better that way.
I'm the same way. The only app I have on the main page is AIM. I hate that program so much. Such a POS. So many complaints.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2008-07-22, 11:23

I moved my ipod button and safari to the main screen which includes the facebook and AIM app. However I keep Pandora and Calendar in the bottom bar.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-22, 11:27

First Screen:

AOL Radio
Remote
Twitteriffic
Pandora
Facebook (webclip, not app)
SportsTap (terrible interface, but handy info)
WeatherBug

Bottom bar:

Safari
Calendar
Music
Settings (for quick toggling WiFi)
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-07-22, 12:03

App Store apps that have made my main screen:

Zenbe - Free To Do app, does it's job relatively well, more importantly is the free part.

Remote - Pure Awesome.

NetNewsWire - I'm kind of meh on it but it works well enough.

Monkey Ball - Hard as hell but great for showing off the surprising power of the little device.

Othello - Free. Kind of fun.

Aurora Feint - Awesome puzzle game. It's free which is daft as the developer easily could have justified charging at least ten bucks for it.
almost2mac

2008-07-22, 12:36

How did you get a music and videos icon...

Oh wait...is that a touch? On the iPhone we have a yellow "iPod" icon.

I need to sort through my three pages of apps. Weatherbug is a great replacement for the standard weather app. Also Pandora is excellent, and Google not only searches the web, but everything on your phone - contacts, mail...

Remote is awesome to freak people out since it doesn't need line of sight.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-22, 13:02

I have 3 web links on my home screen: Daring Fireball, Digg and Wikipedia. I used to have the Facebook web app, but now I have the facebook real App.

I get terrible cell reception in my house, so I also have truphone on there, right above the phone icon in the dock, so I can make outgoing calls via WiFi.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-22, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
Aurora Feint - Awesome puzzle game. It's free which is daft as the developer easily could have justified charging at least ten bucks for it.
You might want to read this article on Macenstein: http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1523
k squared

2008-07-22, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I have 3 web links on my home screen: Daring Fireball, Digg and Wikipedia. I used to have the Facebook web app, but now I have the facebook real App.
Do you like the Facebook App? I have both on my home screen and find the web version offers much more functionality. For now, anyway.

Additional apps:

Remote
NewNetWire
WeatherBug
Pandora
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-22, 19:34

Did you get the updated version?

They added major features to the original app that debuted on the App Store.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-22, 19:46

Quote:

The updated version is much better then the initial offering but it still feels like there are some things missing: the the ability to accept friend requests, etc. I do like how they've already updated it once. It's a good sign that development will continue on the app.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-07-22, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
You might want to read this article on Macenstein: http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1523
Holy shit. Not cool. At all. I use my iPhone for work. I'm a psychologist. I've got client names and numbers in there. Confidential information. That's bullshit.

edit: +1 rep for you too. I don't normally announce when I give rep points, but this is really important info. Thanks.

edit, part deux: did their server get hacked? http://www.aurorafeint.com/

Last edited by torifile : 2008-07-22 at 21:06.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-22, 20:56

I'm surprised it made it by Apple without them realizing it.

I guess this just goes to show how beneficial the Jailbreak community still is to the iPhone community as a whole.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-07-22, 21:03

My one complaint with Remote is that TV shows aren't sorted by season and episode number, but by alphabetical order. We're watching The Wire and I don't know what the next episode is called. Does anyone know what episodes are called when they watch a show?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-23, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Do you like the Facebook App? I have both on my home screen and find the web version offers much more functionality. For now, anyway.
I find myself navigating to the web app often, yes. The thing that's missing for me on the native app is photos. Other than profile pics, there's no way whatsoever to view Facebook photos.

Quote:

Yeah, but they didn't add what I was looking for, so I didn't pay much attention, other than watching it download to my home screen. What did they add?

Quote:
The updated version is much better then the initial offering but it still feels like there are some things missing: the the ability to accept friend requests, etc. I do like how they've already updated it once. It's a good sign that development will continue on the app.
Agreed, I like that so many developers are dropping bug fixes and new features so fast. This is going to be a very lively platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Holy shit. Not cool. At all. I use my iPhone for work. I'm a psychologist. I've got client names and numbers in there. Confidential information. That's bullshit.

edit: +1 rep for you too. I don't normally announce when I give rep points, but this is really important info. Thanks.

It doesn't appear that contact information is being stored on the Aurora Feint server, so I think you're safe. Either way, they're giving the ability to disable this feature with the next update.

Quote:
I'm surprised it made it by Apple without them realizing it.

I guess this just goes to show how beneficial the Jailbreak community still is to the iPhone community as a whole.
The screening policies for the App store don't appear to be as good as we hoped. A lot of crap gets in.

+1 for the jailbreaking, though. Someone has to watch the watchers. I find myself considering re-jailbreaking my phone (I haven't jailbroken since before 1.1) so I can use it as a tethered bluetooth modem. Honestly, I'd pay AT&T a small premium on my data plan if I could get this as a native app. An extra $10 a month and an official bluetooth modem App from AT&T or Apple? Sounds fine. Until then I'll jailbreak.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I find myself navigating to the web app often, yes. The thing that's missing for me on the native app is photos. Other than profile pics, there's no way whatsoever to view Facebook photos.
There is photo support in the updated version. When you click on a person their profile now shows links to Wall, Mini-Feed, and Photos. Photos are displayed in much the same way the Photos app displays them. You can all view photo tags by holding a finger on the photo and read and add comments to the photos using the link in the bottom right corner.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-23, 10:24

Quote:
There is photo support in the updated version. When you click on a person their profile now shows links to Wall, Mini-Feed, and Photos. Photos are displayed in much the same way the Photos app displays them. You can all view photo tags by holding a finger on the photo and read and add comments to the photos using the link in the bottom right corner.
Ah! How did I miss that? Thanks!
macuser256

2008-07-23, 12:12

i use netnewswire and box office the most. I think NetNewsWire is a decent 1.0 app but needs an update or two to iron out the kinks.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 12:41

Remote, Facebook, AIM, Cube Runner and Mobile News. That's it for me.

(Posted from my iPod Touch )
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-24, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post

It's been delisted from the App Store.

Gizmodo Link

I"m glad to see this get taken care of.
CitizenTony

2008-07-24, 13:33

Todo, the one by Appigo. I accidentaly bought it thinking I was getting the free one by the same name. Teaches me to have one-click turned on and to buy from the search results. Oh well.

I've got todo's everywhere and it's ability to sync with Toodledo or Remember the Milk is cool. Now I just have to figure out which one of those I like best. Toodledo is free and has a Firefox extension, but I like the Gmail extension of RTM, though not the price.

Seems overkill, but having todos and notes all in one system with access from anywhere does sound pretty nice. Any suggestions on Toodledo v. RTM?

I've played with some of the free apps, but they're all pretty useless.

I am keeping Google's app, if only for the local search. It's just easier for some reason to use it than to go directly to Maps and look.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-24, 14:34

Quote:
It's been delisted from the App Store.

Gizmodo Link

I"m glad to see this get taken care of.
Oh man... I've become addicted to this game. I hope they bring it back soon, the developers state that 1.0.0.1 (which was submitted to Apple hours before the app was delisted, and Apple still hasn't gotten back to them) adds encryption.

It's worth noting that the information was never sent unless the user told the game to "update my friends." So if you never hit that, you're not at risk. It's also worth noting that the information is not stored on remote servers, just locally on the iPhone.

Miko
Veteran Member

2008-07-24, 15:33

Jamd is a cool tabloid news feed app. that has a cool photo stack feature that lets you feel like Jeff Han only on a smaller scale, but that's about it. Oh, if you shake the iPhone all the images stack back to the center.

Last edited by Miko : 2008-07-24 at 17:03.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-07-24, 15:35

Right. I think there's just a bit more to-do about that whole issue than is deserved. Anyway my iPhone home screen has mostly the standard apps, except I added:

Apple Remote
the B of A app
Facebook
Twitteriffic
VNC
and a bookmark to my work webmail.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-24, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
the B of A app
Bank of America? Isn't that just a portal to the mobile website?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-07-25, 08:09

It's pretty much identical to the web app, and simply accesses your account online anyway. I suppose your ID is stored locally and it uses native controls but otherwise it doesn't seem to offer anything the web app offers.