User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
FileMaker 10
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-01-05, 12:19

Looks like the Bento team spread some iWork-esque UI love over to the other FileMaker devs. FileMaker 10 no longer looks like a 1988 Claris app, but like a modern OS X app. Finally!

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fi...10new_features
noleli2

2009-01-05, 12:50

Wait? People still use FileMaker?

They should just turn it into a really nice front-end for SQL.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-01-05, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
Wait? People still use FileMaker?

They should just turn it into a really nice front-end for SQL.
Yeah, those small businesses and one-man shop must be *punished* for not using a RDMBS! How dare they! The sheer arrogance of them all!

*ahem*

Filemaker fills a important niche. It could be front-end to a RDBMS, but I believe the primary aim is for people who need to keep track of stuff without getting all involved in normalization, data modeling and programming.

Chucker, thanks for the update. Trying it out.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-01-05, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Yeah, those small businesses and one-man shop must be *punished* for not using a RDMBS! How dare they! The sheer arrogance of them all!

(...)
RDMBS wut?

I don't think people use that. It's something you outsource to India, right?

I mean: A guy goes into a bar and begin to chat up a lady. The lady asks him what he does for a living and he says something about databases and RDMBS. Guy goes home alone.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-01-05, 13:56

Exactly my point.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2009-01-05, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Looks like the Bento team spread some iWork-esque UI love over to the other FileMaker devs. FileMaker 10 no longer looks like a 1988 Claris app, but like a modern OS X app. Finally!
Too bad the Bento team didn't teach them how to connect Filemaker to AddressBook and iCal.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-05, 23:51

Looks like a nice UI upgrade... even if it is 10 years overdue.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-22, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I have a question about Filemaker Pro 11. I was thinking about starting to use this for my company for things like contacts, invoicing, purchase orders, ect ect.

I was poking around just trying out some things and I was trying to make up a quick mock invoice. I created a dummy contact so that I could start up an invoice and then I went to enter the items into the invoice and it asks for Product ID number, which is fine, but I don't have product ID numbers and it would be a HUGE undertaking to try and tag every item I have as I'm sure it's in the tens of thousands.

Basically I want to be able to skip over product ID number and just enter information into the product description. Is this possible without going through the ID number? IDing some of my more common items wouldn't be impossible, but time consuming, so I could do that, but I'd like to just avoid it all together.

Any help/ideas/suggestions?
FMP lets you build your own database. If you don't want things keyed by product id, don't use that. Are you using one of their pre rolled solutions? In that case, you'd probably need to tell us which you're using so we can answer accurately.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-01-23, 13:17

I've become the Filemaker guy at work, so I know a little bit about it, and how to make databases and such. If you're using a pre-made database that's asking for product ID numbers and you want to avoid that part it would just be a matter of looking at the script it's using to prompt you for that information, and delete the lines that are asking you for it. There is very likely a script that runs when you create a new record that prompts you for a series of things, that being one of them.

There are also ways to set fields to require data entry, and the product ID field might be one of those. There are multiple ways to tell it to ask for information, so it depends on how it was built. I can probably help you figure it out if you want.