InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-06, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusmekon
Explosions in the sky

The earth is not a cold dead place
Those who tell the truth shall live forever

If you can think of a way to get the music to you i could send you a few songs.

Not to sound like a knob but this music is full of emotion and if im uptight, i just press play and sit back and enjoy
Is this band that released their debut the day before 9-11 and one of the songs on it was called "This Plane will Crash Tomorrow"?

I listened to some samples on iTMS. Pretty good. Reminds me of Godspeed You...
cyrusmekon

Send a message via AIM to cyrusmekon Send a message via Yahoo to cyrusmekon  
2005-02-07, 00:02

ast iv tried several times now to upload to you site each time to no avail. (explosions in the sky)

I have changed file extension names, zipped files etc. Nothing seems to work.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-07, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
http://www.intouch04.com/sampler/
moe. - You Gov't Mule people, they might appeal to you.

String Cheese Incident - If you like Bela Fleck, might appeal to you.

Keller Williams - You will like him.
I have a few friends who are VERY into moe - my favorite thing about them is that they cover a couple of Radiators songs

SCI is one of the best bands out there, with quite a following. They're playing a festival here next month which I am looking forward to quite a bit.

All of these, just like Mule, the Rads, and Little Feat, fall into the category of "Jam Bands". A great site (and magazine) to learn more about this music scene is Relix - there's a really excellent cover story on Gov't Mule this month, including the source of their name.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-07, 00:46

I've never heard of relix, I'll check that out thanks

http://www.jambase.com/ - a good source for jam band info

On a side note, a good place to download live shows - http://furthurnet.net/ - and it's legal
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-07, 00:59

I like Jambase - I met the founders in the crowd at JazzFest a couple of years ago, very nice guys. They gave me a bumper sticker that says "Go See Live Music" which is still on my car.

Furthernet is cool - but this is what we call "the motherlode":
http://www.archive.org/audio/etreeli...llection=etree

Everything downloads from your web browser, no special client software necessary

all free - all legal
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-07, 01:12

Ah, and One More Thing... those of you up for the next 3 hours or so can catch the Radiators live video webcast - their last big show of Mardi Gras....

http://www.tipitinas.com/content/webcast/
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-07, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Here's a link (11 MB) to a song from a recent incredible Radiators performance.

It's a cover of my favorite song (Spanish Moon) by another one of my favorite bands (Little Feat), with the added bonus of THREE trombone players sitting in (it's at the Radiators 27th Anniversary show).

WOW, what a solid wall of jamming sound - ya'll simply gotta check this one out :smokey:

http://www.archive.org/download/rad2...1d3t01_vbr.mp3
ah man, you rock

Spanish Moon is my favorite song. Mule tears it apart but I've never had the privelage of seeing them do it live yet :-( I'm always hesitant to put a request in whenever I see Warren. Figure it'd come across as rude.

But they have a kick ass version on their Live with a Little Help from their friends album.

Little Feat is playing SF next week, I may go. The Radiators are playing later on at the American Music Hall, really small place where Derek Trucks is playing Thursday night...which is my bday so I may treat myself to the Derek Trucks show since he's simply awesome.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-07, 01:32

Ah yes - the Great American Music Hall. Cool place, shitty neighborhood though!I was there for the last Radiators run in the summer (and they played Spanish Moon!).

SF has a pretty good contingent of Fishheads, it's always an extra-fine show (or set of shows). A great chance for them to show off the fact that they can play 3 nights in a row without repeating a single song.

Sounds like you have some good music coming up in the next month or so - enjoy!
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-02-07, 01:39

The band Fontanelle has a great album out titled 'Style Drift'. They're on the Kranky label where you'll find many more ear-opening bands.

http://kranky.net/
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-07, 01:57

some lesser-known jambands I've discovered in the last year or so...
My Morning Jacket - country-ish rock with Neil Young-ish vocals
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/

Psychedelic Breakfast - from what I hear from friends in CT, these guys get noticeably better and better from month to month.
http://www.thebreakfast.org/

And, a new entry from my favorite place in the world for music (New Orleans - DUH!)...
Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes - a very alternative/jamband style, kinda like Camper Van Beethoven. A great mix of many styles...
http://www.johnnysketch.com/
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-02-07, 02:04

New Year's 2004
http://homepage.mac.com/applenut/MEANDWARREN.JPG
New Year's 2005
http://homepage.mac.com/applenut/.Pi...Y/IMG_6172.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/applenut/.Pi...Y/IMG_6175.jpg

Warren is such a cool guy. Always friendly and talkative, even if you're a nobody like me. I've seen Gov't Mule way too many times for my own good now. Their back to back Fillmore shows this past fall were awesome and their New Year's Show this year was arguable their best show ever. The 4 songs once midnight struck were killer.
cyrusmekon

Send a message via AIM to cyrusmekon Send a message via Yahoo to cyrusmekon  
2005-02-07, 03:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Is this band that released their debut the day before 9-11 and one of the songs on it was called "This Plane will Crash Tomorrow"?

I listened to some samples on iTMS. Pretty good. Reminds me of Godspeed You...

According to the drummer the debut album was released two weeks before 9-11. It did however have on the title cover "this plane will crash tom"

Heres a snippet from an interview

"Chris Hrasky: Well, part of what you heard is indeed a “myth”. This CD was not launched the day before Sept. 11th, but two weeks before. However, it is true that our CD was recently released and that we were touring at the time. We took it as a very sad coincidence. When it happened, it was awful in the States, people were traumatized and we did not really get any feedback on our CD. But, it was the last of our concerns then. When I think back about it, it all seems merely what it really is: a mere coincidence. We are no prophets! It was all very incredible and weird."

Yes they are like Godspeed (another amazing band). You should also check out Mogwai and Sigur Ros. But If your into this kind of music you already know who im talking about.

Some live shows can be found here & here for explosions
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-07, 22:28

Heh
Just found out today we're having a Cajun Blues Festival here in April.
The Neville Brothers, and The Radiators. Plus - an offer (not yet accepted) for Dennis Quaid's band.

Life Is Good.....
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-02-07, 22:41

I'm contemplating Bonnaroo this year. I've never gone. The music is certainly awesome but I'm just not sure if the expense and spending 2 days in the blazing sun is worth it. plus the travel.

although, I guess I got to do it once to find out.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-07, 22:48

I contemplated Bonnaroo last year, but after the mudfest it became, was glad I didn't.

I'd still like to do it once. Renting an RV with a bunch of friends seems like the way to go.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-02-07, 22:58

I would love to do Bonnarroo, its something I've wanted to do for the last 2-3 years, but it probably not in the cards financially.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-07, 23:25

If you want you can check out my latest Video Game remix, from earthworm jim, New Junk City It's pretty fun. Made entirely in Garageband
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-08, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
I would love to do Bonnarroo, its something I've wanted to do for the last 2-3 years, but it probably not in the cards financially.
JazzFest is better anyway, and you don't have to live in a tent. Plus, you get to eat like a king - screw that veggie burrito and grilled cheese crap

http://www.nojazzfest.com/
The Meters, The Neville Brothers, The Radiators (and dozens more of New Orleans's best bands)
PLUS:
Dave Matthews Band, Trey Anastasio, Isaac Hayes, Widespread Panic, James Taylor, Nelly, B.B. King, Juanes, Jack Johnson, Anthony Hamilton, Elvis Costello, The Roots, Steve Winwood, Bishop Paul S. Morton Sr., Steel Pulse, Wilco, Toots & the Maytals, Randy Newman, and dozens more.* A few big-name TBAs are expected to be filled in over the next month or so.
¡Damned!

2005-02-08, 00:37

Oh man, JazzFest....haven't been in over a decade. Great, great times.

Trippin' in the gospel tent is one of my most cherished memories.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-02-08, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
JazzFest is better anyway, and you don't have to live in a tent. Plus, you get to eat like a king - screw that veggie burrito and grilled cheese crap

http://www.nojazzfest.com/
The Meters, The Neville Brothers, The Radiators (and dozens more of New Orleans's best bands)
PLUS:
Dave Matthews Band, Trey Anastasio, Isaac Hayes, Widespread Panic, James Taylor, Nelly, B.B. King, Juanes, Jack Johnson, Anthony Hamilton, Elvis Costello, The Roots, Steve Winwood, Bishop Paul S. Morton Sr., Steel Pulse, Wilco, Toots & the Maytals, Randy Newman, and dozens more.* A few big-name TBAs are expected to be filled in over the next month or so.
I am there the minute I am able to. Right now it conflicts with finals and my crew team's season. So, 2 more years and I'll get to experience my first NO Jazz Fest. Hopefully Gov't Mule still is around then.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-08, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
I am there the minute I am able to. Right now it conflicts with finals and my crew team's season. So, 2 more years and I'll get to experience my first NO Jazz Fest. Hopefully Gov't Mule still is around then.
I never got to really experience JazzFest when I lived there, for the same reason (finals).

This year I hope to live the longtime dream of being there for BOTH weekends, as well as what's known as The Daze In Between.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-02-08, 01:59

I've been fairly impressed with Auto Escape.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-02-08, 12:50

I've got a list of bands that no one has ever heard of but everyone should. They range in style from Indie rock, to punk rock, to jazz, to a mix of all three. All great stuff, and I know they'd all appreciate you checking out their stuff as a few of them are up and coming and still relatively unknown.

First, one of my absolute favorite bands, and some of the nicest guys you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting, The Plain White T's. They just came out with a new album called All That We Needed and it's great. If you want to hear a few of their songs you can get them here. You really should check them out. Homepage is here: The Plain White T's.

Next up is a band called The Academy Is.... Great band, also great guys. If you want to hear some of their stuff head right here. They just came out with a new record today called The Academy Is...Almost Here. Pick it up, you won't regret it.

Another great one is Punchline. Wonderful band with some of the sweetest lyrics you'll ever hear. Head here if you want to hear a few of their songs.

Last is a band a few of you may have heard of, Saves The Day. Listen to them here. Great stuff.

I've got some more, but I think I'll take a break now and let y'all take in the greatness of these four.

Of course, if you haven't heard Belá Fleck and the Flecktones you're missing out on what is quite possibly the best band in existence. It's just sweet stuff.

Come waste your time with me

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2005-02-08 at 12:51. Reason: added album title
xionja

2005-02-08, 15:08

I've been thinking about Bonnaroo too. I really like the sorta odd group of bands this year.

Also contemplating the Shakori Hills grassroots. I've been to the fingerlakes grassroots of course, but I hear the shakori hill's one is better, better artists, weather ect . . . and its sooner than later. Anybody been or going?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-08, 15:14

I wanted to go to bonnaroo last year, but nobody to go with, only friend as into it as I am was in europe.

I missed out going to the NY grassroots festival last ear too, I was bummed out.

AN meeting at one of these festivals!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-10, 02:42

Here's a Bonnaroo and JazzFest band you've probably never heard of...Papa Mali
I've seen him a few times before, but they just kicked my ass hard at their latest show. WOW....

words simply cannot express....

They Call Me Moses, When The Levee Breaks, Little Sadie, Rainin' In Georgia, Junco Partner...

look out, warren
look out, mule
look out, ry cooder
look out, taj mahal
there's a new ass-kicking power funk blues rock trio on the scene, headed up by a slide guitar master.

If you live in Austin and haven't seen this guy yet, shame on you, that's where they're based!!

Here's a short review from a New Orleans music magazine:
Quote:
Papa Mali conjures up a potent gris-gris bag of tribal rhythms and true New Orleans-style funk, peppered with judicious touches of slide guitar and more than a bit of bayou joie de vivre. The vocals are delivered with a soulful swagger, almost as if Jimi Hendrix had been raised in the swamps on a steady diet of James Brown, the Meters and scratchy Delta blues with greasy authority, touching on key New Orleans classics with in-the-pocket instinct. A raucous, insinuating debut. "
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-13, 02:32

Got Explosion in the Sky's The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place and can confirm that it's a fantastic album. I also picked up The Decemberists - Her Majesty, you should too!
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-02-13, 11:17

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes is a lot of fun. Perfect for the iTunes store, too, because, although they're not on iTunes (yet), almost all the songs that they cover are on there, including Mona Lisa, Nothing Compares 2 U, I Believe I Can Fly, and a whole range of others.

Link? Well, Google for 'em. Their main site, gimmegimmes.com, is "down for maintenance" right now, but there's a bunch of other pages out there.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-13, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Here's a link (11 MB) to a song from a recent incredible Radiators performance.

It's a cover of my favorite song (Spanish Moon) by another one of my favorite bands (Little Feat), with the added bonus of THREE trombone players sitting in (it's at the Radiators 27th Anniversary show).

WOW, what a solid wall of jamming sound - ya'll simply gotta check this one out :smokey:

http://www.archive.org/download/rad2...1d3t01_vbr.mp3
FFL - I know you love the Radiators ... but I never knew a thing about them. btw - what is a fishhead? - that confuses me too

Back on topic - tonight (I'm procrastinating) I thought "I'm going to check out the stuff on this thread."

Damn - that track is awesome!!!

The groove is effortless, the horn section sound is just pure lard - phatt as - the guitar solo sound - searing yet smooth and now a bone solo ... listen to him go for it as the organ interplay sits tastefully in the background. 27 years doesn't surprise me - if they've been together that long - it's no wonder they sound so good. Heck, most marriages don't last that long. Imagine the level of understanding couples would have if they did!

Anyway, is this track a "legal" freebie. My conscience is killing me. Where's it from? I think I might have to buy it from Amazon.

TIA.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-13, 15:47

ast3r3x - thanks for starting this thread!
Not a big fan of Peaches - sort of cute, but nothing groundbreaking or memorable that I'd need to hear again. String Cheese Incident - would happily listen to more of ... "Little Hands" was beautiful.
Xionja - thanks for the Howard Tate. I've listened to Waits before, but only in passing or as background music at a friend's place. Unfortunately, I've never really pursued his stuff any further.
'nut - didn't check out mule ... but did check out The Brilliant Mistakes b/c of my piano background. Really liked the blend of piano with the standard rock line-up. The harmonies of the BVs with the keyboard sound and drums/percussion reminded me of Todd Rundgren in some respects. Are those tracks on their web site free downloads? ... eh - what the heck I'm buying both CDs for $15 - that's good value! Just got to find out how good the mail service for stuff like this is in China from a friend first. But thanks, for the tip - they're bookmarked.
.Hack - DT Already a fan! Although there's no denying Jordan's chops on keys, I must say that I really enjoyed Kevin Moore's keyboard sounds and solo lines in the early years - not too sure why he left. DS was OK - but I never really thought his sound blended well with the band.
DMB - like the Plain White Ts I also listened to some tracks from the first Bela Fleck CD ... love the bass sound from that era. I've heard the name before but never searched this artist out before so thanks for the link. Not actually swimming in the $ this year - but might buy a CD of both these artists at a later point too.
FFL went to that "motherlite" live site ... I love the concept and think it's an awesome service but not sure that I understand it right. Do I really need to
Quote:
Download and install MacAmp Lite, a multi-format audio player, and then install the Shorten Plugin for MacAmp.
?

I'm not too keen on adding other stuff to my system unless I know what it does. Please "dumb it down for me".

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm enjoying being exposed to this stuff and expanding my "listening domain".