AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 5 of 12 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-10, 01:13

So it's a creepy feeling of finding other people's shit? Ima skeered.

And what do you mean by "poison" spiders??

And why do you have to eat so much in that demo? I hate that.

And why do you have so many corndogs in your menu???

And what's up with that green Knightrider stripe underneath the corndogs????

Gah.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
So it's a creepy feeling of finding other people's shit? Ima skeered.
I kept adding to my last post at the bottom of the previous page. Go reread it again now. Exploring is gonna be hella creepy.

Quote:
And what do you mean by "poison" spiders??
Some spiders are normal. Some poison you when they attack (these are blue spiders). When poisoned, your health meter turns a sickly green color and you start gradually losing life. You can also get poisoned in other ways, like eating bad food...

Quote:
And why do you have to eat so much in that demo? I hate that.

And why do you have so many corndogs in your menu???
The corndog meter is the "hunger bar". When your belly is full, you slowly regain health. As you perform various activities, the meter depletes as you get hungry. When it empties and you're starving, you slowly lose life.

This adds a whole new challenging dynamic to the game. At first I thought I would hate it, but it's growing on me. No longer does eating directly heal you; it only heals indirectly and over time. Eating takes a second or two, and you slow down your walking pace while you're chowing down. Fortunately, animals drop a LOT more food now. Pigs, chickens, and cows all drop meats. Even zombies drop meat, but it's rotten. Probably only wise to eat that meat as a last resort.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 01:23

Quote:
And what's up with that green Knightrider stripe underneath the corndogs????
That indicates how many "experience points" you've earned. When you kill things, they sometimes drop little colored experience orbs. When you touch/collect those orbs, they fill the meter. When the meter is full, it resets. Presumably the fill/reset actually triggers some "level up!" event, but nothing really manifests from it. Clearly this feature is in its infancy, and something more interesting and useful may take better advantage of it later.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-10, 01:29

So, uhhh, a 700+ yeild wheat farm could be a handy, parctical thing then?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 01:34

A pig/cow/chicken trap could be even more useful now that meats stack! The caloric density of cooked meats still exceeds that of bread, AFAICT.

But, yes, I'll concede that farms will be far more valuable in beta 1.8+.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-10, 01:39

How does armor work? Since there's no armor bar...
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-10, 03:43

The bar only shows up when you're actually wearing armor; it appears above the health bar.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-10, 03:52

So, from my aimless running around in 1.8 for a few hours, this is what I've learned so far:

-Lots of abandoned mines underground; seriously, they're everywhere. They've also got random chests scattered throughout, similar to dungeons. The one I explored for a while was huge; it took me the better part of an hour to find my way back to the surface (I eventually ended up tunneling up into the ocean to get back out).

-Something else they've got that's similar to dungeons: spawners. Specifically, poison spider spawners. You can tell if one is nearby if you suddenly run into a huge mass of webs in a mine branch. Apparently, they come in clusters sometimes; in my SSP world, I found a spot that had four of the suckers in pretty close proximity. Found another one located directly underneath a zombie dungeon, too.

-My newly-generated SSP world is still (apparently) capped at 128, with sea level at the normal 64. Is there an option that you can change to get a taller map?

-I'm loving the new lighting effects. Having torchlight shade to yellow the further you get from the torch is a nice touch.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-10, 09:35

Well this is just no good. Sleeping will cause a zombie to spawn in your very well lit house!
¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 09:58

Has anyone found a melon patch yet? I've been searching all over to no avail.

Also - how do you get pumpkin seeds from pumpkins? Do you have to harvest them with a special tool or something?

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
How does armor work? Since there's no armor bar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
The bar only shows up when you're actually wearing armor; it appears above the health bar.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 11:52

Wow! Mushroom farming just became a billion times easier.

Step 1: Find (or place) mushroom.
Step 2: Fertilize with bonemeal.
Step 3: Harvest giant mushroom!

So far, I've gotten 10-25 mushrooms from one giant. SOUP'S ON!

(mid harvest... red ones are hollow inside the cap!)

Curious side-effect: I planted the mushroom on sand, and after it grew, the sand had turned to dirt.

Protip: Giant red mushroom also makes for a handy quick shelter.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Well this is just no good. Sleeping will cause a zombie to spawn in your very well lit house!
Seems to work normally for me. Are you sure there aren't open passages or dark corners nearby? Also, always keep the bed one block away from the outside wall unless the wall is two-blocks thick.

¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 12:09

Wait, so when you harvest a block from a giant mushroom it drops a normal mushroom? How odd.

I wanted giant cushy blocks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 12:12

Has anyone else noticed the passive mobs spawning being significantly reduced or altered? My "Challenge Island" animal farm has produced nothing since beta 1.8 where I used to get tons of sheep, pigs, cows, and chickens before.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Wait, so when you harvest a block from a giant mushroom it drops a normal mushroom? How odd.
Randomly, yep, like saplings from tree leaves.
Bonn89

2011-09-10, 12:14

Pro tip: Don't try to cook iron ore with coal in a furnace, you'll insta-crash, ans upon reloading the game you'll loose your coal.

Loving this so far, though. The idea that the poison spider spawners are just laying around is kind of weird though, but I guess abandoned mineshafts are *technically* their version of a "dungeon".
¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Has anyone else noticed the passive mobs spawning being significantly reduced or altered? My "Challenge Island" animal farm has produced nothing since beta 1.8 where I used to get tons of sheep, pigs, cows, and chickens before.
Other than being super spread-out, no. But what with the biomes being much much larger it doesn't surprise me that a small area wouldn't get as much traffic. Especially since it appears that passive mobs spawn at the same rate regardless of day or night (ime so far).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Pro tip: Don't try to cook iron ore with coal in a furnace, you'll insta-crash, ans upon reloading the game you'll loose your coal.
Or chicken breasts. Or glass. Happened to me with each. Only when I used coal though - lumber seems to work just fine.

I do wonder if Mojang is tying certain features to certain biomes now though. The first world that I started was in a swamp, and even after traveling for days I never saw wolves or even one chasm, but mineshafts were everywhere. The second world started in a pine forest and chasms and wolves were everywhere. I still haven't found melons or a stronghold in either world. Spawners seem to be hella more frequent.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Tested with one spare iron ore and one coal on SSP. No crash. Could be a fluke?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Or chicken breasts. Or glass. Happened to me with each. Only when I used coal though - lumber seems to work just fine.
Huh. I've cooked plenty of food, including chicken, without problems when using coal. This sounds like a Russian Roulette furnace bug. I must be due for a crash soon, then...

¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
That's a bed-placement issue. Happens in 1.7 too.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-10, 12:40

Re: Spider Spawners in Abandoned Mines
I suspect this is a place holder for their normal spawning location -- that being said, I think the spawners in the dungeons are strange too, it might be cooler to imbue green cobble stone and say the spider silk with monster spawning abilities....
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-10, 12:47

Quote:
Tested with one spare iron ore and one coal on SSP. No crash. Could be a fluke?

edit:

Huh. I've cooked plenty of food, including chicken, without problems when using coal. This sounds like a Russian Roulette furnace bug. I must be due for a crash soon, then...
Russian roulette or... a bug in the achievements/experience orb code -- seems to happen when a *new* item is being smelted.

Hmm... I wonder if the failure minecraft.net is due to the fact that with each crash you have to relogin...
¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Re: Spider Spawners in Abandoned Mines
I suspect this is a place holder for their normal spawning location -- that being said, I think the spawners in the dungeons are strange too, it might be cooler to imbue green cobble stone and say the spider silk with monster spawning abilities....
I don't know - I think the new spawner style for the evil little bastards is kind of neat. Like they "found" this place abandoned and decided to make it their own. Fast little bitches though.... I've yet to live through an attack.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 12:58

Greatest loss from beta 1.8 yet: you can't cheat with F3 any more!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 13:01

Also, if there was any doubt remaining about beta 1.7 vs beta 1.8 world chunk boundaries doing funny things...

¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 13:04

Quote:
Greatest loss from beta 1.8 yet: you can't cheat with F3 any more!
I actually like that that's broken. Much scarier.

So have you decided what's going to happen with the AN server once 1.8 proper drops? Surely we're not going to create a new world* when we're going to have to do the same thing in a few (?) weeks when 1.9 comes out. Right? Right?

* unless it's a bukkit-portal-dual-world-thingy?

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 13:10

Quote:
Also, if there was any doubt remaining about beta 1.7 vs beta 1.8 world chunk boundaries doing funny things...
I don't mind that as long as we have a file we can download to work on old-world projects (someday I'd like to put some pics together with improvements that I had in mind before we were forced to start a new world).

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-10, 14:34

So, who's playing the 1.8 prerelease with the seed Applenova? Everyone, right?

Currently I'm living in a NPC village with mountains on one side, and a flat, flat plain on the other. I'm calling it Calgary. It's at 159 69.6 -344. Lots of pumpkins nearby.

Top tip: don't jump in the well when you find one of these townships...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-10, 14:39

Quote:

Weird... On my SSP no such disjoint occurred...

Edit: did some exploring with our world seed (-5359663002065820830) turns out my observation may have been a fluke since the seed is substantially ocean in the new algorithm where i explored.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-09-10 at 15:13.
¡Damned!

2011-09-10, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So, who's playing the 1.8 prerelease with the seed Applenova? Everyone, right?

Currently I'm living in a NPC village with mountains on one side, and a flat, flat plain on the other. I'm calling it Calgary. It's at 159 69.6 -344. Lots of pumpkins nearby.
Fucking POMEs. Take over an innocent area and call it your own.

Seriously though, no, I haven't done the AppleNova seed. I may do that next.

At the moment I'm touring the current world and I'm actually surprised at how much I'll miss it.

So it goes.