Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 11 of 12 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-09-16, 19:54

No, unfortunately. I think that the seeds are only found in mineshaft chests, which is a pain (like cocoa beans in spawner chests). You can make seeds from melon slices once you grow one, but I have no idea how you get pumpkin seeds from a grown pumpkin - or even if you can. I hope that changes.

Plus, I really hope we can grow cocoa trees in 1.9.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-09-16, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Sure, what the heck. Barring objections, I'll probably pull the switch when I get back later tonight (probably a couple of hours).
Please back that 1.7.3 world up in, like, 30 different places. USB drive, cloud, Dropbox, under your mattress, etc. I must finish the temple and UFO!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-16, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Has anyone found a melon yet? Or pumkin seeds? I have no idea how these work.
The only places I've found seeds were in chests in an abandoned mine...
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-16, 22:28

So, if anyone is interested: -1767412485926484027 as a seed puts you on an island in the middle of nowhere, similar to the (now no longer) downloadable variant.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-16, 23:09

Oh, btw, bobsky and I are playing on mc.applenova.com now. It's up.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-17, 01:45

How was it??!! I've been slammed with work and Palooza is tomorrow.

¡Damned!

2011-09-17, 04:58

Super fun! Brad, bobsky and I just now signed out...

It's a really nice seed. 2 villages close by that we took for shelter, mountain biomes, lots of pine. Really nice.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-17, 16:02

Great cavediving adventures earlier with Bruce and iJak! Much iron was gathered - I've left excess in the chest outside NorthForge if people need armour. I died twice to creepers.

I'd forgotten how much fun this game is in the early game, before you get diamond everything...

Really must go on a duck hunt next time: having limited arrows sucks.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-17, 16:15

I have attempted to start a duck farm in the village... The lone duck is in a pen west of my house... Waiting for eggs to drop and more ducks to get cracked out.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-17, 16:59

I will be on later tonight, in case anyone else will. Probably around 11 Eastern. Gotta find a place to call home.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-19, 23:37

There's a new Town in Town, and it's called Owenville -- very N, a little west at ~-1300 (x) 320 (z). There's an ocean biome next door so its a nice sea side resort type place. Bigger houses on average than Sedona started with but alas, the rich always settle into unsustainable homes on the coast.

Also: I found a strong hold (rather, saw through a chunk error). It is labeled with a pair of fences near Grey's skywalk, go east, you will see it below. RS added ladders to the level in which I broke through so there's easy access.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-20, 00:57

Billybobsky, I headed out in the direction of your fishing village but got distracted around x:831 y:66 z:154 - it's an NPC and it didn't look like it had ever been touched. It has a river wrapping around it, has a forest biome to one side along with a good sand area, there's a ravine back in the direction of spawn and it has exposed iron in it and.... oh shit, I just realized I went in the opposite direction of yours... I didn't see that frickin' MINUS SIGN in your coords!!!!!!! grrrrrrr... I thought it was just a tilde..... crap.

Shit. Well, anyway, I found a place and have named it "Piggsburgh" in honor of the vast array of pigs living there. It's really a rather nice NPC village, though it doesn't have a watchtower.

Haven't seen any Owens yet, but I'm sure that they're out there. I really don't want to live this far away from folks though....

hmm...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-20, 15:35

Notch is nixing Endermen's abilities to move blocks, which is a welcome change.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-20, 16:43

I believe the term he used is "nerf", not "nix".

ie: They'll still be able to move blocks, but that ability will be reduced somehow. Maybe a proscription agains moving certain types of blocks, or maybe just not player-placed blocks.

I don't actually mind that they move stuff. I just wish they did it in a more interesting way: ie, not just randomly taking one, but deliberately digging through walls to get at you.

I also think it would be cool if they were all "triggered" when you look at one, like Zombie Pigmen are. They'd be much more dangerous that way.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-20, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I believe the term he used is "nerf", not "nix".

ie: They'll still be able to move blocks, but that ability will be reduced somehow. Maybe a proscription agains moving certain types of blocks, or maybe just not player-placed blocks.

I don't actually mind that they move stuff. I just wish they did it in a more interesting way: ie, not just randomly taking one, but deliberately digging through walls to get at you.

I also think it would be cool if they were all "triggered" when you look at one, like Zombie Pigmen are. They'd be much more dangerous that way.
I think his nerfed is my nixed in this context -- he said it was a terrible idea (and it was). Nerfed can be used to describe something made to go away completely.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-20, 17:19

I'm unconvinced. In gaming parlance "nerf" means to reduce the effect of, not remove entirely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerf_(video_gaming)

I guess we'll see.

For the benefit of the others who maybe don't follow Notch tweets religously, here's the source:

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/116186387878920193

Quote:
Originally Posted by notch
By the way, I will nerf the endermen block carrying. It was a horrible idea.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-20, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Notch is nixing Endermen's abilities to move blocks, which is a welcome change.
Wait, what, ugh… then… what's the point of them? I think that ability is quite clever and good to have for added low doses of chaos (unlike the creepers with their astronomically high chaos and destruction quotient). The ability just needs to be tempered a bit. They shouldn't be able to die/despawn without returning the block to the ground, for example, and there should be a more limited set of blocks they can move. Oh well.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-20, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Wait, what, ugh… then… what's the point of them? I think that ability is quite clever and good to have for added low doses of chaos (unlike the creepers with their astronomically high chaos and destruction quotient). The ability just needs to be tempered a bit. They shouldn't be able to die/despawn without returning the block to the ground, for example, and there should be a more limited set of blocks they can move. Oh well.
I think I have made it clear that when dying they should drop the block they are carrying, but having walked through a cave system near Sedona that was raped by the Owens, as in no surface left unscathed there is nothing good about the chaos they bring. They make it less likely that I will spontaneously decide to open up a cave system to explore, which wasn't the point.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-20, 20:37

Has anyone seen a silverfish yet?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-21, 16:07

Ah. Silverfish are a "Stronghold" type thing. We need to explore that stronghold, folks!
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-21, 17:34

We did!

RS and I did, at least...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-21, 17:40

Did you do the entire thing?
(I know for a fact that they found lapis... I could HEAR them)

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-21, 17:43

Yeah... There are caves we did go into down there, and we didn't break (many) blocks, where the silverfish reside.

Also: Snowmen.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-21, 17:50

I'm not an IDIOT.

edit:
(really??)

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-21, 18:04

Scumbag Notch:

Adds Snowmen to the game, craftable with snow blocks.

Has a bug that nixes snow biomes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-21, 18:19

Don't you see -- minecraft is notch's personal playground.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-22, 07:24

Notch tweet

1.9 "pre-release" coming today

Sounds like they're splitting the update in two, with some more "adventure update" stuff coming in 1.10.

Urgh.
¡Damned!

2011-09-22, 11:48

Of course it comes out the same day as the CraftBukkit RB for 1.8.1.

Whatevs. Sounds like a new world will be needed anyways for 1.9 (and maybe 1.10 ).

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-22, 14:46

but the nether brick! and snowmen and Testifwhatthefuck and the tears of ghasts!

New world!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-22, 14:53

The Snow Golems look freaking hilarious to me.